Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two firms...................

simpleton

Apr 23, 2011
With public sector pensions there is no pension fund as such and all the pension payments are funded directly from taxation.

Not quite true. Some are some arent. Local government pension scheme has invested assets, but the teachers dont. Not sure about Civil Service, NHS, Armed forces etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So protest while they are on holiday? Yeah I'm sure that'll have the desired affect. Next time you want to ask for a pay rise, will you be taking a day off to do so too?

I wasn't saying they should do it, to be fair to the teachers, they obviously never cause trouble, but they also say they wish to
Protest with as little disruption to people as possible, so would this not be it???

I would love a pay rise, but teachers have about 10 weeks off a year through non term time, how many people can boast that ?
When they say "little as disruption as possible", they must surely mean as little disruption as possible whilst having the desired effect, because ultimately as little disruption as possible would be to say nothing at all, ever.

This 10 weeks off thing is really besides the point. They trained and took the job knowing this was part of the deal and their salaries reflect this and it is nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
There seems also to be a myth that the public sector pension schemes are in deficit but there not. There is no funding gap because they were adjusted 3 years ago and are now very secure. Both the local government scheme and the NHS are currently cash rich with income far exceeding outgoings - some £2 billion in the case of the NHS scheme.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There seems also to be a myth that the public sector pension schemes are in deficit but there not. There is no funding gap because they were adjusted 3 years ago and are now very secure. Both the local government scheme and the NHS are currently cash rich with income far exceeding outgoings - some £2 billion in the case of the NHS scheme.

Independent experts disagree when you bring it under the same FRS17 reporting requirements as any other pension scheme in the UK BBC News - Local government pension deficit

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not quite true. Some are some arent. Local government pension scheme has invested assets, but the teachers dont. Not sure about Civil Service, NHS, Armed forces etc.

The Principal Civil Service Pension Scheme is completely unfunded and employees make only death in service contributions.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Really? Have a look at the latest accounts to March 2011. Income from contributions was £4.85 billion and pensions paid was £7.08 billion, a deficit of £2.23 billion. The overall deficit stood at £192.4 billion and this is after the last lot of changes.

www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/hc1012/hc09/0988/0988.pdf

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The simple fact is that public sector pensions are unsustainable. I know it's not nice but there you go. You can deal with it in one of two ways, either have more realistic expectations from the scheme or close it down and change public sector pensions to defined contribution schemes like the rest of us. The realistic expectations have to be increased employee contributions and a re-alignment of the defined benefits.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Whether or not you work for Alpha or Bravo , as an employee you need to realise you are being f***ed over by middle and senior management with the executives at the top only interested in keeping their snouts in the trough.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Here we go again:

A report two weeks ago revealed that boardroom and City pay increased by 49% last year (that's 49% of a 6 or 7 figure salary).

Yet here we are again with private sector and public sector workers slagging each other off and accusing each other of being 'greedy' 'undeserving' or 'selfish'.

This is exactly what Tories and their millionaire chums want; the proles at war with each other over who's getting a couple of quid more. It's called divide and rule, and a lot of people on here are falling for it.

Pretty much exactly what I've been thinking for a while, I don't give the b*stards much credit but their creation of this phoney war is a complete success.

I truly don't understand why people are so anti an organisation standing up for themselves. Are you actually envious of those who don't just lie down and allow themselves to be f***ed up the a**e?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Whether or not you work for Alpha or Bravo , as an employee you need to realise you are being f***ed over by middle and senior management with the executives at the top only interested in keeping their snouts in the trough.

That attitude is a bit cliched and IMO just not the reality. The company doesn't owe you a living, for a start, the middle management are feeling the pinch every bit as much as the minions (for want of a better word) and senior management pay is performance-related and is regulated by the shareholders who own the companies. We've moved on a bit and companies are a bit more sophisticated than when Engels was investigating labour relations in Manchester cotton factories.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Cant believe we've got to page three and no public sector worker has used the phrase."We dont want a race to the bottom"

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
No pay rises and a small cut in your pensions. Keep your jobs.

Yes! That's it! Keep working for the same pay while prices rise. When you are fit to drop (now at a later age), we will give you less money. But keep working for us in the meantime.

No problem with that.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No pay rises and a small cut in your pensions. Keep your jobs.

Yes! That's it! Keep working for the same pay while prices rise. When you are fit to drop (now at a later age), we will give you less money. But keep working for us in the meantime.

No problem with that.

Dont forget the transfer from Cloud Cuckoo Land to Reality.

Flex Your Head

Here we go again:

A report two weeks ago revealed that boardroom and City pay increased by 49% last year (that's 49% of a 6 or 7 figure salary).

Yet here we are again with private sector and public sector workers slagging each other off and accusing each other of being 'greedy' 'undeserving' or 'selfish'.

This is exactly what Tories and their millionaire chums want; the proles at war with each other over who's getting a couple of quid more. It's called divide and rule, and a lot of people on here are falling for it.

I agree absolutely; a classic Tory tactic.

And this alleged £500 million damage to the economy is surely dwarfed by the harm caused by an extra bank holiday in honour of a royal wedding? I didn't see Cameron or the press rushing to criticise the economic selfishness of everybody losing a day's work just 6 months ago.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So let me get this right. I continue to pay taxes to fund education and spend significant amounts of time in the evenings and weekends with my 5 year old son helping him improve his reading and writing, and now I have to take time off work to stay with my child on the day of the strike?

I'm sorry teaching unions, but you're not selling the strike to me.

Jan 30, 2008
First firm Alpha....................................................................................
Times are hard,recession is taking hold and the firm is in danger of going bust.
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement."Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and realise the danger of not having a job,knuckle down and production continues.Bravo.........................................................................................
Times are hard,recession is taking hold and the firm is in danger of going bust.
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement"Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and say" Wer'e not having that! We are going on strike until you give us the rises and keep our pensions. They strike,production ceases and the firm loses lots of orders and income making it impossible to keep the firm going let alone return to pay rises. Meanwhile the Union bosses are being paid by the workers,they are safe and doing well. The workers are finding money being stretched to the limit. The firm collapses and the workers start looking for employment elsewhere but because of the recession there is no work,some of the older workers will have no chance of getting a job anywhere ever.

So to all you people who are going on strike next week....WAKE UP....If your firm is doing well you will prosper...replace those firms with (Alpha,Bravo) with UK with no strikes and UK with strikes....it's about time we all pulled together to get this country on it's feet again...."I'm backing Britain!!"

And the Albion of course!!....The above are my views and have no bearing on others with different views.:shootself:shootself:shootself:shootself
i think most firms are struggling these days ,smokin:

Indeed! And as public sector worker, most of my tax-payer funded salary goes back into the private sector - shops, transport, pubs, restaurants, holidays, etc.

So if private sector workers want me to be dragged down to their level of poverty (I'd rather they were raised up, but then I'm not a communist who wants to level down to achieve equality of misery) fine, but then I'll spend less in my local private sector supermarket, pub, curry house, etc, and they will eventually go out of business. Way to go guys!

Post of the day sir.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
When I worked in the public sector, the ethos was generally understood. We got lower pay than we might have had in the private sector. But we got better pensions and better job security.

Millions of public sector workers still get lower pay. The job security has gone. And now their pensions are being cut. Work it out.

But They DESERVE lower pay for lacking the talent & ambition to work in the private sector simply by choosing to apply & accept lower paid public sector jobs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here