Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two firms...................

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
First firm Alpha....................................................................................
Times are hard,recession is taking hold and the firm is in danger of going bust.
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement."Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and realise the danger of not having a job,knuckle down and production continues.

Firm Bravo.........................................................................................
Times are hard,recession is taking hold and the firm is in danger of going bust.
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement"Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and say" Wer'e not having that! We are going on strike until you give us the rises and keep our pensions. They strike,production ceases and the firm loses lots of orders and income making it impossible to keep the firm going let alone return to pay rises. Meanwhile the Union bosses are being paid by the workers,they are safe and doing well. The workers are finding money being stretched to the limit. The firm collapses and the workers start looking for employment elsewhere but because of the recession there is no work,some of the older workers will have no chance of getting a job anywhere ever.

So to all you people who are going on strike next week....WAKE UP....If your firm is doing well you will prosper...replace those firms with (Alpha,Bravo) with UK with no strikes and UK with strikes....it's about time we all pulled together to get this country on it's feet again...."I'm backing Britain!!"

And the Albion of course!!....The above are my views and have no bearing on others with different views.:shootself:shootself:shootself:shootself

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What relevance has this got to public sector strikes?

And wouldn't it sound a whole lot less patronising if it wasn't the case that senior execs are still paying themselves more and more, with the average FTSE 100 chief executives salary now £3.6m.

I think I agree with the archbishop of York:
Archbishop of York said:
If they (FTSE 100 chief executives) have a responsibility to their staff, it is hard to imagine a more powerful way of telling someone that they are of little value than to pay them one-third of 1% of your salary.

I'm all for good leadership being rewarded, but these people are doing little to create work for those in need of it. That's the real lunacy of the world we live in, not people wanting to safeguard their pensions.

When I worked in the public sector, the ethos was generally understood. We got lower pay than we might have had in the private sector. But we got better pensions and better job security.

Millions of public sector workers still get lower pay. The job security has gone. And now their pensions are being cut. Work it out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
First firm Alpha....................................................................................
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement."Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and realise the danger of not having a job,knuckle down and production continues.

Firm Bravo.........................................................................................
The managers call a meeting and issue the following statement"Due to hard trading figures,there will be no pay rises,a small cut in your pensions,but your jobs are safe and you will get continious employment". The workers discuss this and say" Wer'e not having that! We are going on strike until you give us the rises and keep our pensions. They strike,production ceases and the firm loses lots of orders and income making it impossible to keep the firm going let alone return to pay rises. Meanwhile the Union bosses are being paid by the workers,they are safe and doing well. The workers are finding money being stretched to the limit. The firm collapses and the workers start looking for employment elsewhere but because of the recession there is no work,some of the older workers will have no chance of getting a job anywhere ever.

So to all you people who are going on strike next week....WAKE UP....If your firm is doing well you will prosper...replace those firms with (Alpha,Bravo) with UK with no strikes and UK with strikes....it's about time we all pulled together to get this country on it's feet again...."I'm backing Britain!!"

And the Albion of course!!....The above are my views and have no bearing on others with different views.:shootself:shootself:shootself:shootself

But many public sector workers think they are a special case, from the imaginery bottomless pit of taxes.

And yes, their pension funding figures don't stack up i.e. we can't afford the old terms.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have a dilemma next week. As a Staff Nurse I have a responsibility to my patients, and for that reason i will not strike. However due my background I have always stated that I would not break a picket line, so for me that is a hard decision.

Also it would appear that the County will be dealing with any nurse who goes out on strike and a quite firm manner.

And on a last note for me, I an trying to find a home for the Bar Billiards team that I love, as our local is closing soon.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
When I worked in the public sector, the ethos was generally understood. We got lower pay than we might have had in the private sector. But we got better pensions and better job security.

Millions of public sector workers still get lower pay. The job security has gone. And now their pensions are being cut. Work it out.

Welcome to the real world.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
The general public sympathise with what's happening, but we're all in the same boat at the moment, we have to pull together and work through this

But when teachers go on strike, forcing parents to take a day off they can't afford, or to search around for grandparents to look after their child, or even pay another day for nursery, that's when people turn on them

I for 1 sympathise, but when these strikes start to effect me, that royally pisses me off

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How much of these businesses struggling is due to executive pay and bonuses while they are failing to do their jobs? Will the cuts actually help the business, or are they just to ensure the executives get their full pay and bonuses rather than taking pay cuts they can afford and missing out on bonuses they don't deserve if the business is struggling?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
FWIW I voted against the strike but, because we have a democracy, the strike goes ahead, and I won't cross a picket line.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yea I do, but when I work 60 hour weeks to pay the rent, and teachers strike, I have to pay for nursery, or a babysitter, or take a day off work, which I can't afford

Now, are the teachers going to pay back the money I lost?
Serious question as you obviously do have sympathy for them: how do you propose they protest, given that it is all too easy for a goverment to simply wave away a bog standard weekend street protest with "yes we understand but we have no choice"?

Call Me Dave was full of angry words towards these evil trade unions yesterday, yet there was a deafening silence from #10 when the news of chief executive pay was made public. I think that says all I need to know about wealthy Call Me Dave and his public worker dictat.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Yeah!you tell em let's all have a race to the bottom.

Everyone has to be realistic I'm afraid. The country simply cannot afford to keep the status quo. Most private sector employees have had to face up to changes to their pensions as the old style final salary pensions were becoming millstones around the necks of our biggest companies as they were unaffordable and creating huge liabilities on their balance sheets.

With public sector pensions there is no pension fund as such and all the pension payments are funded directly from taxation. The only way to maintain the pensions would be to raise taxes and I can't see that being popular and would be unfair on those in the private sector who have already faced cuts of their own.

As I said the public sector need to get used to the new world as it won't be getting better any time soon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here