Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two BILLION watched the Royal Wedding?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I love it when people make up a random figure and none of the press question it.

73 people in this household agree.
4,386 disagree.
5 were too drunk to understand.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does it really matter whether it was 1billion or 2. There was still a hell of alot of global interest in Great Britain yesterday. If you don't like the royals then presumably you are one of the billions around the globe that didn't watch it.

My bad. I thought the overall population of the Earth was about 6 and a half billion.
I think it has now topped 6.8bn. But my reply is not to nitpick over the numbers or even to express concern over the increasing world population. No, there is the much more serious use of the term "my bad". You must cease using this linguistic atrocity forthwith! It makes people sound like retarded morons, and I cringe every time I read it. Fortunately, it has never been spoken to me in person and I hope it never will; I fear I might just overreact!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
there might be a lot of indians but a lot of them are in poverty without televisions. 2 billion did NOT watch it. end of

I know it's not India exactly, but one of my memories from Sri Lanka was seeing a few little shanty villages on the way out of Columbo. They were one story rooms made from breeze block and corrugated iron, but most of them had a satellite dish on the roof.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I know it's not India exactly, but one of my memories from Sri Lanka was seeing a few little shanty villages on the way out of Columbo. They were one story rooms made from breeze block and corrugated iron, but most of them had a satellite dish on the roof.

That's the suburbs of a city though, a bit different to the little village 30miles away without power, a massive proportion of indians still live in rural areas.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
That may be so, but we're talking a quarter of the world's population watvhing it. It may have been fed to 180 countries, but there are only 78 countries in the world with 1 TV set or more for every 4 people. India, for example, the second most populous country in the world (with about 17% of the world's population by itself) only has 58 per 1000 of the population, so for India to contribute 25% every TV set in the country would been to be tuned to the wedding and 5 people would need to watch each set.

The figure is ludicrous.

Your posts here are why i love NSC, i disagree with some of your points, but appreciate the way you made them! :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Live + highlights

The total won't be far short of 2b.

Cynics always underestimate the interest of others.

Silly comment really, because it's impossible to quantify. Almost as meaningless are the viewing figures for domestic programmes, since they are based on such a small sample.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I swear I heard on the news that 20million in the Uk watched it? if true I can't see how globally it will have topped 500million, if only 3/8 people in the UK could be assed, do you think it'll be higher in somewhere like india or the US?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I swear I heard on the news that 20million in the Uk watched it? if true I can't see how globally it will have topped 500million, if only 3/8 people in the UK could be assed, do you think it'll be higher in somewhere like india or the US?

If you include the people like me who saw bits of it whilst watching the news then that could be true. However I think the inference is that twenty millions people actually sat and watched the whole thing, now that I just don't believe.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
If you include the people like me who saw bits of it whilst watching the news then that could be true. However I think the inference is that twenty millions people actually sat and watched the whole thing, now that I just don't believe.

Really? You seem to suggesting that number is too higher, the way the media have been going on about it I was expecting it to be higher.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
What a load of RUBBISH. As if one in three people in the WORLD watched it.

I love it when people make up a random figure and none of the press question it.

That's nothing. I was told that we had 30,000 supporters because that't how many were at Cardiff in 2004 ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here