Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two BILLION watched the Royal Wedding?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The earth's pop is 7.2 billion (ish) but how many of those have access to a TV?

there are 4.3 billion TV's in the world

Television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

800px-TV_users.svg.png

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really struggle to believe that 2billion people watched it, I don't know how they get the numbers but it just seems to be an educated guess.

Not that hard to believe when you consider probably near a billion Indians watched it, and the majority of America, those two countries alone make up over a billion viewers I reckon.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
It's dependent on how you count too. I didn't willingly watch it, but I DID watch television yesterday so I saw a fair amount of coverage whilst channel hopping. Does that mean me and the Missus count as having "Watched" it?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not that hard to believe when you consider probably near a billion Indians watched it, and the majority of America, those two countries alone make up over a billion viewers I reckon.

I can't believe 90% of India has access to a TV, and in the USA surely a lot of people who might have wanted to watch it were at school, on their way to work/at work as there was no holiday?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
there might be a lot of indians but a lot of them are in poverty without televisions. 2 billion did NOT watch it. end of

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not a lot of Cubans have televisions, but whole villages descend on squares to watch athletics, with a communal TV rigged up.

Yeh but there arn't many Cubans in absolute poverty like in India where the villages won't have a power supply to connect a TV to

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
In the middle of Borneo it was on live on 9 different channels on my telly, including two that are free-to-air. It was on in 3 different shops and 2 cafes that I walked into during the day and everyone I met knew about it. So I would say a sizeable number of the 250 million Indonesian's watched some of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't believe 90% of India has access to a TV, and in the USA surely a lot of people who might have wanted to watch it were at school, on their way to work/at work as there was no holiday?

There will be 50 people crowded round each tv, india is developing fast remember, everyone in the big cities would've got to see it, they obviously don't have a tv each but honestly when I was over there, the cabbies all have pics of Diana and the Queen etc in their dashboards, they've would've all found a way to watch it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeh but there arn't many Cubans in absolute poverty like in India where the villages won't have a power supply to connect a TV to

90% of Indians live in the big cities and therefore would have access to Tvs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel a good old fashioned head count coming on, I watched it so that's:-

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I think it is probably true. The BBC feed went to 180 countries (there is only 195 countries in the world)

That may be so, but we're talking a quarter of the world's population watvhing it. It may have been fed to 180 countries, but there are only 78 countries in the world with 1 TV set or more for every 4 people. India, for example, the second most populous country in the world (with about 17% of the world's population by itself) only has 58 per 1000 of the population, so for India to contribute 25% every TV set in the country would been to be tuned to the wedding and 5 people would need to watch each set.

The figure is ludicrous.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I'm certain a LOT more than 1 in 4 Britons watched at least some of it. Also I can guarantee ALL of India would've watched it, theyre obsessed with our royals, so that's near a billion on it's own.

Amazing. around a third of the people in India have access to a TV set and yet you can guarrantee that EVERYONE in the country watched the Royal Wedding? Do you want to rethink that?

Even if there were more TV sets in India, some Indians are, as you say, obsessed with our royals, but a significant number dislike them (and anything else that remonds them of British Imperialism) intensely.

I'm afraid you are guilty here of one of the most stupids comments ever seen on NSC, and there's a helluva lot of competition.

Last edited:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
there are 4.3 billion TV's in the world

There are, but in richer countries there are several in one home and in poorer countries hardly any at all.

I have three TV sets in this house and none of them are (yet) even linked to an aerial. One is only ever used with a games console, one linked just to a DVD and the other sitting on a shelf never used.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
It was on between 3 and 6am in the States depending which time zone you are in. I doubt even a tiny percentage of Americans bothered to get up that early in the morning to watch it.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
90% of Indians live in the big cities and therefore would have access to Tvs.
Wrong again:

Indian life revolves mostly around agriculture and allied activities in small villages, where the overwhelming majority of Indians live. As per the 2001 census, 72.2% of the population lives in about 638,000 villages and the remaining 27.8% lives in more than 5,100 towns and over 380 urban agglomerations. (wikipedia)

Is there NOTHING you can get right?

PolskaSaint

Apr 24, 2011
I watch Royal Wedding with my family. All 23 of us watch on my cousin's colour television. Prince William is very handsome prince. I like him. Why he not have hair like the rest of the soldiers in red? They have lovely big black hair. Prince William have none. Is this something to do with English "stag do"? I see some English boys shave man's eyebrows on stag do in Warsaw once. Did Harry do this to William? Funny boys!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here