Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Twitter/X

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Xitter is a dangerous app with the potential to cause great harm to the individual and society.

But it can be used relatively safely on the individual level if you

(1) Never use the 'For you' feed. Ever.
(2) Turn off re-xeets from those you follow who tend to re-xeet inflammatory topics.
(3) Carefully consider who you follow.

As for the harm on society - well we need tougher sanctions on bad actors and a national gateway to block bot armies.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just deactivated my account too.

Had kept it for some cricket videos, but the only thing Musk will understand is user numbers dropping, and in turn advertisers deserting the platform.

Forget the odd bit of funny and content you like, if you enjoy democracy, value human rights, then DD-X (Deactivate Delete - X)

I deleted Twitter on my phone at the beginning of the week and so far I am glad I did. There was just too much bile and hatred to wade through to get to anything interesting.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Sorry if said before but how do you deactivate it from the app ?

Don't use it much but if it helps more than happy to shut it down

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Xitter is a dangerous app with the potential to cause great harm to the individual and society.

But it can be used relatively safely on the individual level if you

(1) Never use the 'For you' feed. Ever.
(2) Turn off re-xeets from those you follow who tend to re-xeet inflammatory topics.
(3) Carefully consider who you follow.

As for the harm on society - well we need tougher sanctions on bad actors and a national gateway to block bot armies.
This is good advice but it's pretty damning that people need to turn off the 'For You' feed. Just perpetuates everyone's retreat into their own bubble and exposes them to fewer contrasting opinions.

If it was moderated properly, I think 'For You' should be where you get some facts and balance. Instead, the whole place is a sewer.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sorry if said before but how do you deactivate it from the app ?

Don't use it much but if it helps more than happy to shut it down
I don’t think you can deactivate Twitter from the app, only your own account. I’ll try to shut it down from my browser, that’ll show Musk.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I remember in my younger days I would read 4chan I could not believe what was allowed on there, X is even worse. Musk turned Twitter into a monster.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's clearly not right that the world has allowed one person, who has no accountability, but almost unlimited cash to have such a powerful influence on the information we receive. The world of free nations must find ways to check the influence of men like this whilst it's still possible to do so

One of the lowest moments of Sunak being in PM (amid fierce competition) was him interviewing Musk.

A serving PM! Of the United Kingdom! Acting as an interviewer! To a tech billionaire! What?!?!?!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
A patronizing racist? Crikey!

(That's my perspective of you. As a fan of different perspectives I'm sure you will applaud it :lolol: )
Oh I see, so a racist based on what evidence exactly?... just so I can insert the right wording when reporting you to Admin.... ok?.... having an opinion doesn't free you from the consequences of that opinion.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
But I stand by the point (which I made on Sept 9th last yer) and you replied to last evening

Social media companies who have monkey emoji’s aren’t taking racism remotely seriously and are probably actively hoping for racists to use their site.

Hoping for the Online Safety Act to make a big improvement and for Elon to be spitting feathers
I think it's a take it or leave it thing,... he doesn't want sensible free speech ( for anyone) curtailed, so if you move elsewhere as an individual that's your choice to suit your requirements in life.... a monkey emoji, like many others available, if used in a racist context, even a subtle way, is unacceptable and the author of such outpourings should feel the weight of the law/policy.... not the emoji itself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you think twatter is bad, check out threads on Facebook!

it’s full of really thick Americans asking mind numbing questions about the olympics, the UK, American sports not in the olympics, trans people or activists wanting everyone who described herself as a woman “ cancelled” , extremisT Christians wanting Paris nuked because they don’t understand the difference between a tableau of the Dionysius festival and the last supper and people or bots who want everyone who doesn’t believe in baby jeezus to be killed.

it makes twitter look like a hive of reasonablenes.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you think twatter is bad, check out threads on Facebook!

it’s full of really thick Americans asking mind numbing questions about the olympics, the UK, American sports not in the olympics, trans people or activists wanting everyone who described herself as a woman “ cancelled” , extremisT Christians wanting Paris nuked because they don’t understand the difference between a tableau of the Dionysius festival and the last supper and people or bots who want everyone who doesn’t believe in baby jeezus to be killed.

it makes twitter look like a hive of reasonablenes.
Wine mums and anti-vaxxers

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know what we should do. We definitely need some sort of beefier legislation so that platforms (and offending users) can have their arses sued off and/or imprisoned when it's been proved they've published lies. After all poor old Bozza has to constantly keep us on the straight and narrow every time there's a hint of a controversy, so why aren't other platforms subject to similar legal threats? Is it just because Musk's pockets are a tad deeper?

I do worry about the state of the nation. In the past we used to moan about the 'right wing press' brainwashing people. Maybe they did, but those are now officially the 'Good Old Days'. For all their faults newspapers are at least regulated, unfortunately so few people, and certainly so few people under 30, read newspapers any more. (My son for example has never read a newspaper). Apparently nowadays most people get all their information first and foremost from social media, and to say that a lot of what they're consuming is wildly inaccurate and damaging is a massive understatement.

As an aside I think 'X' is a stupid name. As has been said a lot of people still refer to it as Twitter or X/Twitter, and also in the old days a post was called a 'Tweet'. What's it called now? A Twix?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The trouble is if all the decent people leave, there will be no-one to counter the posts by extremists and conspiracy theorists - which will just make things worse.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
This is good advice but it's pretty damning that people need to turn off the 'For You' feed. Just perpetuates everyone's retreat into their own bubble and exposes them to fewer contrasting opinions.

If it was moderated properly, I think 'For You' should be where you get some facts and balance. Instead, the whole place is a sewer.
I can get contrasting opinions in a number of ways without resorting to the ‘For you’ feed which can include completely fictitious people/bots from rogue states. For example, I follow a few people whose opinions and views I don’t always agree with - but I trust them and will take account of what they’re saying.

Same goes for some posters on here. Plenty I just ignore (I don’t put people on ignore - I just ignore their posts) - but there are those on here who I might have different views in some respects, but because they are usually balanced and reasoned I will read what they have to say and see another viewpoint.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The trouble is if all the decent people leave, there will be no-one to counter the posts by extremists and conspiracy theorists - which will just make things worse.
It’s already losing advertisers hand over fist, if it loses users as well it will cease to be relevant, something will take its place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here