Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twitter: who still doesn't get it?

Twitter: do you get it?

• Total voters

Sep 1, 2010
I wonder if anyone has been run down by a car whilt twittering...........if not why not, they really should you know. The utter shite end of modern society

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People often miss the important thing about 'celeb stalking' on Twitter, and one of the key differentials between Twitter and Facebook and that is the concept of a 1 way follow.

On Facebook we both have to agree to follow/befriend each other in order that I can see your updates in my stream. On Twitter I can follow you and you can ignore me.

Of course, Facebook, being a great imitator, has incorporated similar (but not the same) functionality now with Fan Pages to try and keep those communications within their world but they seem to have missed that particular boat.

(Note: the very last thing this thread is for is to discuss Facebook v Twitter as they are both tools for largely different purposes)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Hmmm.

As long as Mendoza can tell the world about his movement EVERY second of every day then I get it completely!!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I get WHAT it is, just not the POINT of it.

Agreed. Facebook already tells me what my friends are up to, and quite frankly I couldn't give a shit about what anyone else is doing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Right so....unless I want to stalk celebs, I can stick with Facebook status updates and get pretty much exactly the same. Will do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't see it can possibly be described as celeb 'stalking'. Stalking implies following someone's movements or actions, without their knowledge or consent.

22,000 dullards knowing what Ro-land from Grange Hill had for tea, because he broadcasts that information, hardly constitutes him being stalked.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Enlighten me then.

What is the POINT of twitter. [for people who do not need to know that David van Day has 'bought some frozen peas in Tesco'].

News spreads on twitter quicker than on any other media platform there is.

Is the right answer. If I want to know something happening then and there the first place I will now look is Twitter.

It's also very useful for following movements/articles in the industry I work in. As well as things that interest me. Granted I could use RSS for the majority of those though.

I've no idea who David van Day is nor do I have any interest in whether he's bought some peas so I don't follow him. In fact the only people who could be described as celebs that I follow are a few of the golfers on the european tour.

I don't understand why Twitter gets so much stick when IMO Stalkerbook is FAR FAR worse. For example the 8 or so tweets my thwirl is showing are 3 industry, 3 football and two music. However a quick check on facebook tells me one of my "friends" doesn't want to say goodbye and another is going to the dentist and it's going to cost allot of money. In fact out of the whole news feed page the only thing that I have the smallest about of interest in is a mate of mine went to Luton Crawley last night and took some pics.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, I think there's a real arrogant "look at me" attitude that seems to come across more on Twitter, ie:

@knob-end83: look who I'm having dinner with! http://www.twitpic.etcsdfks

@coolduderino: this is the view from my hotel room right now http://www.tiwtokrefn

etc.

Lots of name-dropping and look how good my life is type tweets, seems to me.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Which media platform was breaking news out of Iran during the recent troubles when nothing else was?

Oh right, that'll be Twitter then.
So Twitter is useful for arranging demonstrations.

I don't think anyone's ever use it for that here though. Mostly people use it to publish the banality of their existence. :shrug:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
It is very useful for looking for jobs as recruitment companies or graduate job companies post their latest vacancies. So you just set them all up in a list and can search the latest jobs from many different sources.

Otherwise I don't use it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it life changing? Do I need it? Is it full of people telling me how important or wonderful they are and describing all the cool things they've done recently?

Or have I got totally the wrong end of the stick?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Right so....unless I want to stalk celebs, I can stick with Facebook status updates and get pretty much exactly the same. Will do.

Not at all, no. I was just highlighting the functionality that Twitter offers (1 way follow) that enables 'celeb stalking'.

I really don't think I'd be able to receive timely industry news from any other existing source, inclusive of Facebook, as Twitter is currently available to deliver.

As such the '1 way follow' enables me to learn from a lot of subject matter experts and Twitter's infrastructure, namely the humble re-tweet, enables easy discovery of further people who may have something to say that might be of interest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I follow a few journalists (Henry Winter and Oliver Kaye amongst others), as they've often got some interesting titbits from press conferences and football matches they're at. I follow Robyn Shonherr...Schernof...Schone...that bird off Talksport who reads the news and supports the Albion, had a few Albion-based Tweety chitchats with her. Had a tit-for-tat spat with Stan Colleymore once as well, as I accused him of cutting and pasting his tweets, which he vehemently denied :lolol:

Ian Poulter is quite entertaining. He tweeted about Westwood setting the alarm to go off on McDowells iPhone during Montys opening ceremony speech. Just crap like that really. Is it life-changing ? No. Just mildly amusing sometimes (although I'm totally bored with Leons meltdown now).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here