Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

twig/branch

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When does a twig become a branch? no trick question, just a vitally important inquiry. is length or girth the most significant metric? ???

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Perhaps it occurs during that mysterious period where a sapling becomes a tree?

As someone who has responsibility for pruning a grape vine (the roots are in my neighbour's garden, but half the growth is our side of the fence and the thing wraps itself around our house as well as next door), I need to answer this question every year, when pruning time comes round. Does this shoot go? Or do I leave it to become a proper branch? As beorhthelm says, it's a VITALLY IMPORTANT question.

The answer is:- a branch is a twig that I decide will flourish.

But that only applies to vines. An alternative answer (applicable to everything else) might be:- a branch is a twig that has more twigs growing out of it.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
When a twig can hold a weight of 200 ounces, it is then considered a branch.
When a branch holds 200 pounds, it is a limb, and at 1000 pounds it's a trunk.

I just made that up.

You should've left your admission at the end off. You had me hook, line & shrinker. :blush:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would say a branch is if it is CONNECTED to something else whereas a twig isnt?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's an age thing. A twig becomes a branch when it reaches puberty somewhere between 11-14.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There'll only be a binfest. I say LEAF well alone.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As with every other NSC binfest, it will be conducted by SAPs and its BARK will be worse than its bite.

Very true. All I'm saying is, let's not go down that ROOT.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
As with every other NSC binfest, it will be conducted by SAPs and its BARK will be worse than its bite.

Salient points as-ever, Mr T, but perhaps on this occassion the NSC-ers will just be harmlessly ROOTING around?

Doh! Fixtured.. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here