Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TVs- LED v LCD v plasma??

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Right, I need a new TV, and am going out shortly to have a look round a few shops. I think 3D is a little out of the price range at the moment, so what else should I be looking at?

I want 40" or 42" I think. Is LED the way to go these days, as opposed to LCD or plasma? And if you've seen any bargains out there, feel free to let me know...

Over to wisdom and expertise of NSC. Ta :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
LED is an add on to LCD and backlights the panel either around the edge or all over and is not true LED. Don't be fooled by the picture you see in the shop as the settings are for a retail environment and not your lounge. If its only you watching then get a LED LCD as you need to sit in a sweetspot to get a perfect view because off axis the picture will look washed out. If 2 or 3 are going to be watching regularly a plasma will satisfy everyone. Whatever TV you buy there will be pros and cons but for 95% these won't matter

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I bought a 40inch Sony Bravia from Comet for 400 quid. the EX40. It's brilliant.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have a 32 inch Panasonic LED/LCD in my bedroom and it is very high quality. No HD in the bedroom but very clear picture and very good sound. The model is the Vieira. I have a 42 inch Samsung plasma in the lounge and I think for a little less money it will show. However again a crystal clear picture in HD. Sound is a bit tinny but compensated by getting a home cinema speaker system. Right now I believe you can get the 42 inch Samsung plasma's for £399, so a great price break and I don't think you'd be disappointed for the pricepoint.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This is my exact plan tomorrow, 42 inch tele wanted to know which of the deals I'd found was best, mainly LCD or plasma and whether a Sony at 399, LG at 379 or Samsung at 349 screamed out to anybody as particularly good value for money?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
fella, go to HILLS in portslade ask for dan,he is my nephew,what he doesnt know about tvs aint worth knowing,the after sales is excellent,he will set up the tv for you exactly how it should be,and at the right viewing distance(makes a big differance),he goes on all the major convensions and will be honest!!!!ie wont sell you a 47" to fit into a 12foot front room,yes they have tvs for 5grand but i spoke to him boxing day at they have some around the 300 mark,

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right, I need a new TV, and am going out shortly to have a look round a few shops. I think 3D is a little out of the price range at the moment, so what else should I be looking at?

I want 40" or 42" I think. Is LED the way to go these days, as opposed to LCD or plasma? And if you've seen any bargains out there, feel free to let me know...

Over to wisdom and expertise of NSC. Ta :thumbsup:

Plasma, plasma and plasma again !

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Samsung UE40B7000

Got it May last year and I still say it is the best picture I have seen anywhere. WELL pleased!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
My 42" Philips Plasma. £1200 from Hills about 5 years ago stopped working yesterday at 3 pm. It will have to pay a visit to the boys at Warren Road to see if they can make it better. :cry:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I went 42" LED just in time for the WC.
Tesco had a SHARP model for about £550 which at the time was about £250 less than all comparable LEDs
LEDs are the way to go but check on contrast options as the real benefit of LED is that it can show black as true black unlike LCD dark grey.
Very happy with picture quality - sound is a bit lightweight but easily sorted if you plug in to stereo or use surround sound.

Plasma is so VHS by today's standards ....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The black on a LED LCD isn't as black as a black on a Panasonic plasma which is virtually blacker than a black hole.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I bought a 40inch Sony Bravia from Comet for 400 quid. the EX403. It's brilliant.

Yup, I picked up one of those from Comet today, glad I waited 'til the sales now!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Not true, my black's blacker than your black.

FACT !

I saw the Panasonic 50 inch VT20 plasma in Currys this afternoon and the black was inky black in comparison to the dark grey on my LCD :(

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here