Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV quizzes,you miss,have enjoyed or hated.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Quiz Ball was always great entertainment - until the BBC realised that it just showed footballers living up to their reputation of being dim.
Quizball! I bloody LOVED quizball! They used to have teams of five, four players and a celebrity supporter. It was always interesting seeing whcih teams celebrities supported in 'real life'; Brian Moore (the late commentator) supported Spurs, Harry Carpenter supported Fulham, Percy Thrower supported West Brom, etc. We used to take it seriously, being a Chelsea fan I was absolutlely moritified when we lost 5-3 to Spurs, I still remember it even now and that was in about 1966.

You're right about the 'thickness' of the players, although Ian Ure (Arsenal) I seem to remember was pretty bright. The funny thing was one team had a woman as the celebrity supporter, they beat somebody 5-0 and she scored all the 'goals'! I think after that they had to make sure all the celebrities were as thick as the players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Quizball! I bloody LOVED quizball! They used to have teams of five, four players and a celebrity supporter. It was always interesting seeing whcih teams celebrities supported in 'real life'; Brian Moore (the late commentator) supported Spurs, Harry Carpenter supported Fulham, Percy Thrower supported West Brom, etc. We used to take it seriously, being a Chelsea fan I was absolutlely moritified when we lost 5-3 to Spurs, I still remember it even now and that was in about 1966.

You're right about the 'thickness' of the players, although Ian Ure (Arsenal) I seem to remember was pretty bright. The funny thing was one team had a woman as the celebrity supporter, they beat somebody 5-0 and she scored all the 'goals'! I think after that they had to make sure all the celebrities were as thick as the players.

Yes, I remember Ian Ure as being a star player - although as most of the players looked like they'd have trouble sitting the right way on a toilet, I'm not sure how good he really was. They stopped it before the trickle of graduates (Heighway, Hall, Coppell, Gowling, Galvin etc) entered the game.

I also remember the routes to goal where Route 1 was hard and Route 4 was easy.

If they had it now, they'd probably have loads of foreign players showing up the English.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Going For Gold is still on, isn't it? On channel five... or was last time I had time off earlier this year.

I miss
15 to 1
Telly Addicts

does 'That's Showbusiness' count?
Cluedo?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Celebrity Square from the 70s - so bad it was impossible to look away. Still remember Arthur Mullard in these.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ask The Family used to just plain scare me.

You had Dr Bunsen Honeydew in the chair, remedial school 'graphics' by Eric, and that plinky-plonky theme tune.

But it's the contestants that were most unpalatable. Father was almost always a university lecturer with an ice-cream cone for a hair-do, thick, blast-proof glasses, and a polyester shirt and tie that gave you epilepsy just by thinking about it.

The mother invariably wore a shirt of unspeakable static charge made popular by Peter Purves. She looked so bored to the point of flat-lining, and seriously in need of a visit from a Swedish lumberjack called Lars while 'father' was at work to give her some anal stimulation and a line or two of charlie.

As for the kids, they looked like they had been let out of Josef Fritzl's cellar on remand.

Horrid show.

And don't talk to me about Alan Titchmarsh doing it.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Ask The Family used to just plain scare me.

You had Dr Bunsen Honeydew in the chair, remedial school 'graphics' by Eric, and that plinky-plonky theme tune.

But it's the contestants that were most unpalatable. Father was almost always a university lecturer with an ice-cream cone for a hair-do, thick, blast-proof glasses, and a polyester shirt and tie that gave you epilepsy just by thinking about it.

The mother invariably wore a shirt of unspeakable static charge made popular by Peter Purves. She looked so bored to the point of flat-lining, and seriously in need of a visit from a Swedish lumberjack called Lars while 'father' was at work to give her some anal stimulation and a line or two of charlie.

As for the kids, they looked like they had been let out of Josef Fritzl's cellar on remand.

Horrid show.

And don't talk to me about Alan Titchmarsh doing it.

You couldn't elaborate a bit could you ....:laugh:
Exactly as I remember it - great post.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I always enjoyed Celebrity Squares, if only to see which "famous" people were desperate enough to go on it.

Also I genuinely enjoyed Family Fortunes with Les Dennis for some reason I've never been able to explain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here