Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tv liscencing law

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/gethelp/faqs.jsp?question=1#link1

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

Please write to us including your name, address and the reason you believe that you don't need a licence at:

TV Licensing
Bristol
BS98 1TL

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
you need a licence if you have the equipment enabling you to receive t.v transmissions. if you haven't got an arial you haven't got the necesary equipment.
I found this out after tv licencing people chased my brother for a year because the found it unbeleivable that his ex mrs took the telly when she left & he hadn't replaced it.( the telly not the wife)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just to add. they have no detecting equipment, and only go from a database. I have had a TV licence for years, but I had a letter through my door, and likewise my neighbour.

Being slightly incensed I phoned the licensing number supplied, and they then traced me and stated all was fine, but they still may wish to look at any equipment I own.

I then told my neighbour re the conversation, and that they had previously searched another flat I was living in when in Dover, as my neighbour has no TV, video, etc.

What I found out then (12 years ago) still applies now. They will knock at the door, at about 7.30 pm during the week, when the most watched programmes are on, and simply listen at the door first. They then hear Coronation Street, or the Eastenders theme tune, and assume that you are watching TV.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
What Dover says is worryingly accurate, the "detector" in a "detector van" is the drivers eyes and eras - they look through windows and listen at windows/doors to see if theres a show on.

Now, if you own a decent radio scanner you could always say you were just -listening- to Corrie :jester:

I've not had a licence for years and the tv people chased me all the time. Eventually I called them and explained the situation and they stopped. Be careful with a video player though. It is a recieving device and technically you should detune you tv and video so they do not get signals. One other thing is it is not an offence to have the equipment, it is an offence to recieve the signals so if you aren't watching tv then it ok. I cut my arial down years ago.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
also be aware you'll be hounded to f*** if you have a contract with a cable firm - if you're just getting internet off NTL or Blueyonder, make sure that it doesn't come with a basic channel package thrown in for free or else you'll have TVL at your door.

The latest scam is going to be digital. You wont be able to get some radio stations soon except on digital so either buy a digital radio or get a digital tv reciever. Then they chase you again even if you are only listening to digital radio.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
You also need one if you own a computer with an internet connection.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
When I was a student, we had the TV licence man round. The bird I was living with at the time stupidly let him straight in so that I was caught red handed watching the box whilst getting stoned.

Needless to say, my defence was pretty feeble.

But because we were students, we didn't get any sort of fine once we coughed up for a licence so I wouldn't worry too much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here