Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Tv license

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Why always assume that the alternative to the licence fee is adverts? There's no TV licence in Spain but TVe doesn't have ads. It is crap but I don't think that's anything to do with how it's funded

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's a public service that we do all use to varying extents. We can argue to the hilt about how impartial it's political coverage is, but it's certainly more impartial than C4 or Sky. At least it officially strives to achieve impartiality. What about things like lower league football coverage? Yes other companies might get the rights to show the goals on a Saturday night, but you can read a match report of every league game in England (and probably all the Conference ones as well?) every week. Who would take up that job if the BBC went? No-one.

Also, those with kids will know the programming done by the BBC is a zillion times better than anything else. It's wholesome, educational etc. Flick over to Nick Jr, Disney or the kids shows on ITV/C5 and they're just trash, which are mostly nothing more than an advert for the toys that supplement them. And if you don't have kids, you'll still benefit from a society with well-educated kids.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Get rid of the licence and then we'll see what happens to standards. At present, I would suggest that the standard bearer is BBC News and that is what ITV and Sky compete against. If that standard is affected, isn't the likelihood that news standards will drop in the battle for ratings!

Also, at the moment we have many free to air sports events. Open Golf, FA Cup final, Grand National, Wimbledon. What's the likelihood that with the BBC going commercial those will be open to the highest bidder. I used to enjoy F1 but never see a race now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The BBC is the only independent media we have- and the attacks from the left and the right on such a statement only uphold it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ditch it and provide funding direct from general taxation. open up that budget to independent alternative channels to bid for funds too.

everyone seems to be objecting on the basis of the merits of the BBC, which dont address the odd source of funding.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What is going on with the BBC news site? We don't get adverts on the TV channels so why are we getting them on the website? Absolutely plagued with them on every story. Absolute joke.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What is going on with the BBC news site? We don't get adverts on the TV channels so why are we getting them on the website? Absolutely plagued with them on every story. Absolute joke.
Are you on a VPN or something? That’s the experience the rest of the world I think but not from UK

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The TV license is extremely good value. The BBC is a world class service. not only does it cover Television but it pays for all BBC radio broadcast, local, National and International. Work out how much it cost on a daly basis, about 42p.
Do you prefer adverts ever 15 minutes, pay to view TV or no BBC at all? It costs the BBC £745 million handing out free licenses. People complain about how much certain BBC presenters get paid, they would probably get more if they went to SKY or other broadcasters.
THE BBC IS VALUE FOR MONEY and THE ENVY OF THE WORLD.
It would be even better value if they binned that piece of excrement Eastenders.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
NBC/Peacock/USA Channel coverage of the Olympics has been excellent in the States. I now pay US$2.99/month for Peacock but I believe it's going to be going up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The TV license is extremely good value. The BBC is a world class service. not only does it cover Television but it pays for all BBC radio broadcast, local, National and International. Work out how much it cost on a daly basis, about 42p.
Do you prefer adverts ever 15 minutes, pay to view TV or no BBC at all? It costs the BBC £745 million handing out free licenses. People complain about how much certain BBC presenters get paid, they would probably get more if they went to SKY or other broadcasters.
THE BBC IS VALUE FOR MONEY and THE ENVY OF THE WORLD.
It really is the envy of the world. I have heard this from many people on my travels. BBC radio is a fantastic promoter of UK music as well…I have heard many tales of famous musicians, as well as regular people I have met, cite the Beeb as a source of new music.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I wonder how it will be financed in the future? Everyone I know younger (my children, their contemporaries) doesn't pay the license when they are in rented accommodation, though they know they should. I would guess that it payment is more likely the closer people get to buying their own place.

Up until the 1970s there were wireless licenses. I wonder if the TV license will also change to be a "streaming" licence rather than a TV license, so those who use streaming will need to pay it, while those who just have old-school broadcast TV will not? To keep going it needs to do something to get the younger generation to pay rather than think it doesn't apply to them.

The alternative is to make it like another streaming service, allowing people to buy it or leave it easily (at the moment you have to do so in calendar months only). I don't think that's a good idea, though, as it provides many more services than just popular TV.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here