[Albion] Turkish referee punched to the ground by club president

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What did the ref do to deserve that?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Turkish football bosses suspended all leagues after a referee was punched to the ground by a club president following a top-flight game on Monday.

Halil Umut Meler was struck by MKE Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca, who ran on to the pitch after his team conceded a 97th-minute equaliser in a 1-1 Super Lig draw with Caykur Rizespor.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Disgusting. Also in footage you can see the players surrounding and kicking him while on the floor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Turkish football bosses suspended all leagues after a referee was punched to the ground by a club president following a top-flight game on Monday.

Halil Umut Meler was struck by MKE Ankaragucu president Faruk Koca, who ran on to the pitch after his team conceded a 97th-minute equaliser in a 1-1 Super Lig draw with Caykur Rizespor.

View attachment 171117

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Picture this. A minute after the final whistle in our draw against Boro leading to another season in the Championship…

If Bloom scampered on to the pitch, took a run and leap at Mike Dean and punched his arrogant lights out, it’s probable that I’d find it in my heart to forgive him.
To be fair, TB probably couldn’t reach.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Paul Barber after he spots the ref drinking from a water bottle with a lid on it

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Inevitable consequence of the lack of respect given to referees by the football establishment from Fifa to the FA to individual clubs and their management and the media.
As has been said many times on nsc, football must learn from rugby and and have a zero tolerance of abuse to match officials and this should start at school level (parents and players).
The fact that the football authorities refuse to take such obvious action suggests to me that they condone such actions behind the scenes or think it’s an acceptable ‘part of the game’

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, Greek and now Turkish football 'on hold'?

I blame Helen of Troy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To me, this is the lowest point but predictable result of years of neglect from football authorities. They have done nothing to improve refereeing (the mess surrounding VAR is case in point) or to protect the referees from any lack of respect, and the result is that this moron has decided it's ok to punch the bloke in the middle at a professional top flight fixture. It's bad enough when it happens in park football, but this?

It's going to have major ramifications in Turkish football. Who in their right mind would volunteer to become a referee there now? It's bad enough here with the lack of respect we see from players.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
What did the ref do to deserve that?
No ref ‘deserves that’ whatever they did.

- managers, officials and players can’t go around physically attacking refs even if they’ve made a terrible decision that’s cost a side the game - Ankaragucu conceded on 97 minutes so dropped a couple of points, maybe too much time was added on, who knows - whatever prompted such an atrocious attack on a match official is irrelevant. There’s absolutely no justification for physical violence in football.

It does make you wonder whether what we see in football is a reflection of the society/cultural context it is taking place in - I guess there’s a limit to how much football is inoculated against the wider backdrop of a society entrenched in post-civil war violence. ’Galatasaray, one of the country's biggest teams, had earlier called for an emergency meeting to allow clubs to address what they say is a growing issue in the Turkish game’.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Absolutely shocking - kicked in the head too - no excuse for that - he should be sacked

Makes calls for a Red for Wissa’s clip on Gilmour’s chin look pretty over the top compared to that!
Are you implying harder the punch heavier the punishment? Hands shouldn’t be raised to someone’s face in football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here