Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tunnicliffe drops down a division

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I thought Tunni was class, was a bit annoyed to see him go but I guess it was the right decision by the looks of things.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Could argue it was just a bad career move at a bad time for him (coming to us).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always seemed a bit billy big bollocks to me. Flash car, holidays in Vegas, shopping in Louis Vitton but never really saw a lot of substance of a Championship footballer?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I met him a few times, each time he was an amiable, friendly, approachable bloke. And very tall.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thought he had something but every time he played he would stroll out of defense - with many really classy players that languid look disguises a deceptive turn of pace. Unfortunately with Tunny it was just languid :(

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No it wasn't! It was looping rather than direct and always resulted in a counter attack as he was out of position.

Rubbish! It was like a corner. Normally if you take a central defender out of position, a midfielder or other drop back to cover - see corner.

Still I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for him.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Rubbish! It was like a corner. Normally if you take a central defender out of position, a midfielder or other drop back to cover - see corner.

Still I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for him.

Feel free to post stats on just how sucessful it was, but I really cannot remember it even coming close to creating a chance. In actual fact, I thought there was an article about just how ineffective it was... see below.

COMMENT: Jury out on the long throw From The Argus)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think he just needs a settled home. Crewe is a good club for young players to make a name for themselves, if he really goes there with the right attitude he could cement his place in the team, form a partnership with someone and start to prove his worth. I thought he had the potential to be a good player, he just needed an experienced partner to help him. I always thought he was very similar to Tommy Elphick, capable of defending but needing a long run in the team with a partner who could help him through the game and teach him how the game works. Tunnicliffe was just here at the wrong time, in an important part of his career for development.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Anyway, good luck to him. Like many on here, I was disappointed to see him go at the time. Good decision in hindsight, especially with the emergence of Dunk & the massive improvement shown by El-Abd since Gus' arrival.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Feel free to post stats on just how sucessful it was, but I really cannot remember it even coming close to creating a chance. In actual fact, I thought there was an article about just how ineffective it was... see below.

COMMENT: Jury out on the long throw From The Argus)

If the Argus says it must be true, Andy Naylor has played the game to what level? He is just a journalist.

What stats don't pick up is second phase possession. Feel free to post stats relating to how many times he was out of position!

Thankfully under Gus we are less reliant on set plays.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Anyway, good luck to him. Like many on here, I was disappointed to see him go at the time. Good decision in hindsight, especially with the emergence of Dunk & the massive improvement shown by El-Abd since Gus' arrival.

Agree with you on this, me too!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that generally in football more goals are scored as a result of set plays (either directly or indirectly) than from open play.

I think it is an area we need to improve rtather than ignore which is one of the reasons Harley was brought to the club (and of course Vicente). Last season we had considerable success at set plays via Benno and Gary Dicker and we have missed that input this season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that generally in football more goals are scored as a result of set plays (either directly or indirectly) than from open play.

I think it is an area we need to improve rtather than ignore which is one of the reasons Harley was brought to the club (and of course Vicente). Last season we had considerable success at set plays via Benno and Gary Dicker and we have missed that input this season.

I agree. It is good that we do not depend on them. Cant remember the last time we scored from a corner!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here