Tunnicliffe and Elphick...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Whing, Virgo, Elphick, McNulty... That's how I would go. I've not seen enough of Tunnicliffe just yet to justify putting him ahead of Virgo, who has impressed me quite a bit since he moved to centre back. Either way, we're very well off. I tell you what, we've got a play-off squad assembled here! I don't think we've got enough goals in the team, aside from the strikers. We need more from Bennett, Cox, Crofts and Aaron Davies whilst he's here. We need goals from the defenders aswell, but I'm VERY confident!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I tell friends about the Elf. I find him to be regal in his play with moments of elegance and style that this division doesn't deserve. His acts of bravery earn him merit too. I just think he needs to form a fairly permanent partnership in which each member eggs the other on and they understand the likelihood of each's next move. That might mean an experienced man alongside him, Buttersesque. Tunnicliffe looks languid, but his laidback style is one of deceit as he's clearly a quality defender. I just hope the two together can be formidable against a seasoned forward who has outwitted juniors whenever they got the opportunity for the past 10 years. If they could keep their elf-confidence up and gee each other up enough, then it could be the sort of double-act that excites us all for a long time.
Whing looks out of sorts. All that talk of leaving over the summer seems to have had an ill-effect on him. Adebayor had that after the Milanese gossip of 2008. Once he settles again, and he somehow feels he belongs, then he should be a top member of a regular starting 11.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Virgo--Elphick--Tunnicliffe--McNulty--

Is the way forward for me, i think Tunnicliffe will secure his place now and it wouldnt surprise me to see him in contension for player of year come May!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The problem with moving Virgo to right back is that he said at the beginning of the year he didn't want to be a utility man, he wanted to be a central defender.

Of course, he may change his mind if it's the only way t get into a winning team, presuming Slade sticks with Tunnicliffe/Elphick. However, is that likely? Can you really see the team captain being dropped?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Whing is much better than Virgo at rightback anyway, Virgo is decent but he's always been a little overrated because of his various heroics. Elphick is a better defender for sure and Tunnifcliffe may well be too.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I would keep Virgs at centre-back for the time being and use Tunni as cover...His time will come

I'm a believer in that if it ain't broke, then don't try and fix it. If that means that Whing, Mcnulty, Wright etc have to earn that right to come back into the team, then so be it! The current occupants deserve to keep their places until form/injury intervenes...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
This is a nice headache to have! Competiton for places is a good thing! I'm starting to get a nice warm feeling for this season!:thumbsup:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I always thought this would be my first choice pairing during the pre season. I didnt go to Carlisle, but it sounds promising. I just have a feeling, as Virgo is now captain, he will play centre back as first choice, and either Elphick or Tunnicliffe will be partnering El Capitano

However, it seems Slade now finally has the balls to split up Crofvarro, so maybe, he doesnt need to shoehorn Virgo in.

From what some people have said about the Carlisle game, Virgo was not playing well. I cant comment as I watched it on the bbc vidiprinter whilst sat in a pub all day.

Whing is out of form, so maybe there is a spot at right back for Virgo, but who reliable he is there (compared to centre back) is questionable.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
Of our 3 centre backs, I'd drop Elphick personally but its definitely a difficult choice. Don't think Virgo at Right Back is a sensible long term solution - at the moment I would move El-Abd over to the right to make way for McNulty, El-Abd has been good in the last few games and making Whing fight for his place back might improve his poor recent form.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think if Jimmy Mac comes back and shows the form that we know he can then our midfield will become more productive. NcNulty is SO good at his best that we will free up the midfield to be more attacking.

Virgo is and always should be in the middle of the defence and then choose 1 from Tunny and Elfs to partner him both of whom are playing well.

Virgs is not a RB, RM or centre forward but he is the natural choice to fill in for Wingy is El Abd is playing the other side - simples........

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Tunnicliffe , Elp and Virgo are pretty much on a par at CB but IMO Tunnicliffe gets the nod as he brings his long throw to the table.

Then it is a tought decision for Slade, either ELphick or Virgo and I'd be happy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here