Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(TSGN) Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern franchise

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
An integrated network of services, managed by a single operator, is surely better than the multi-company shambles we have had for the past twenty-odd years.

When that single operator surfaces, a shorter and snappier name is wanted -- I suggest "British Rail"....

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I find the Southern trains even more uncomfortable than the FCC ones. They bounce around more and have ridiculously hard, vertical seats and are always freezing or boiling.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There are a few who love the sound of their own voice and over do it, but you would be surprised by the amount who complain about the lack of announcements and who don't have their tickets checked
I CANNOT believe that anybody has ever said: "I left my luggage and personal possessions on the train because there was no announcement telling me to take them with me."

But yes, when there are problems it would be nice to get a bit of info (such as our new revised arrival time) so I can understand people complaining about that - and issuing endless insincere apologies about how the delay is not their fault doesn't count.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just starting to mobilise to sort out this new franchise

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I CANNOT believe that anybody has ever said: "I left my luggage and personal possessions on the train because there was no announcement telling me to take them with me."

But yes, when there are problems it would be nice to get a bit of info (such as our new revised arrival time) so I can understand people complaining about that - and issuing endless insincere apologies about how the delay is not their fault doesn't count.

It's a DfT requirement to make the announcements and the frequency of them

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because who should be doing it doesn't think it is necessary to announce about your bags every 5 minutes or at every station

i was rather thinking of the automated announcments that seem to have three settings from occasional to dont let anyone sleep. the gaurds are even more erratic, often not bothering with any announcment between Clapham and Haywards Heath, sometime forgetting the short platforms coming up.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
i was rather thinking of the automated announcments that seem to have three settings from occasional to dont let anyone sleep. the gaurds are even more erratic, often not bothering with any announcment between Clapham and Haywards Heath, sometime forgetting the short platforms coming up.

They seem to have changed it recently from "we are now approaching Haywards Heath" to "this is the Southern service to Littlehampton, we are now approaching Haywards Heath". It seems a tad unnecessary, you really should know which train you are on and it also tells you where the train is going after you stop at the station (sorry that should be "next station stop").

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Because the guard plays the extra ones, some are automated like the we are approaching Haywards Hth blah, blah , blah and all the security ones etc are played by the Guard

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
I find the seats uncomfortable on both Southern and FFC. The exception I have noticed on Southern though: The seats with green covers are rock hard whereas the ones with purple covers are way more comfortable. The latter seem to be found more on the Brighton main line rather than east and west Sussex coast services. Discrimination.:tantrum:

Why would anyone pay for a 1st Class ticket on Southern too? They have the same rock hard green covered seats, the only difference being an oversized hankey thrown over the headrest.

I have the answer to shite modern day trains anyway: Bring these back.

article-0-1D48E88800000578-900_964x654.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I find the seats uncomfortable on both Southern and FFC. The exception I have noticed on Southern though: The seats with green covers are rock hard whereas the ones with purple covers are way more comfortable. The latter seem to be found more on the Brighton main line rather than east and west Sussex coast services. Discrimination.:tantrum:

Why would anyone pay for a 1st Class ticket on Southern too? They have the same rock hard green covered seats, the only difference being an oversized hankey thrown over the headrest.

I usually get the Gatwick Express rolling stock and find them much more comfortable, especially as most of the seats are two's so you don't have the annoying fight for leg space. First class also has proper big comfy seats and extra leg space. No doubt the new Gatwick Express trains will change all that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I may be the lone voice defending FCC but the trains are usually less crowded, the fares are lower and the toilets usually work. And the route via London Bridge/Kings X is often more convenient too (even though I'm aware that it's going to be diverted away from LB for the next 4 years).

Grim though their trains undoubtedly are, they are very convenient for London Bridge and, as you say, the toilets usually work. Biggest plus for me over the past few years is that when we get a couple of snowflakes over the Winter they are last man standing, sparking and trundling along the route long after their Gatwick Express and Southern counterparts have surrendered unconditionally to the elements.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I usually get the Gatwick Express rolling stock and find them much more comfortable, especially as most of the seats are two's so you don't have the annoying fight for leg space. First class also has proper big comfy seats and extra leg space. No doubt the new Gatwick Express trains will change all that.

My god those are the most uncomfortable trains on the planet. Rock hard, back at a strange angle, ONE door at each end meaning ages to get off and always breaking down. I could go on.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Grim though their trains undoubtedly are, they are very convenient for London Bridge and, as you say, the toilets usually work. Biggest plus for me over the past few years is that when we get a couple of snowflakes over the Winter they are last man standing, sparking and trundling along the route long after their Gatwick Express and Southern counterparts have surrendered unconditionally to the elements.

And this. Plus FCC have a BETTER reliability rate than Southern shits. Its still low but BETTER than Southern. Its not saying much but it is BETTER. Mind you a rancid faeces on the pavement is better than Southern.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My god those are the most uncomfortable trains on the planet. Rock hard, back at a strange angle, ONE door at each end meaning ages to get off and always breaking down. I could go on.

I've been commuting on them for over a year and only once has it broken down (one of the doors was broken when they tried to close it at East Croydon). I admit the seats aren't THAT comfortable but they are better than the Southern ones in my experience, especially the smaller ones which aren't even wide enough to fit an average-sized person. The main comfort benefit though is the leg room, it's a massive pain when you get a table seat on the Southern trains.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here