Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trundle lure clincher for new boy Leon

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
09th January 2006
Trundle lure clincher for new boy Leon
Western Mail
NEW Swansea City signing Leon Knight has revealed the Liberty Stadium presence of Lee Trundle was one of the factors behind his £125,000 move from Brighton.

Knight, 23, has been seen in some quarters as a ready-made replacement for 17-goal Trundle should the Scouse hitman be tempted away during the January transfer window.

But Londoner Knight has scotched those stories by insisting that he has been recruited to partner and not replace Swans favourite Trundle, who is currently sidelined with sprained ankle ligaments.

"I've watched Lee for quite a few years now and I think he's an excellent player," said the former Chelsea trainee and England U20 cap.

"It's a shame that he's injured now, but it's another reason why I came here.

"Competition for places is good because it brings the best out of people and I'm looking forward to competing with all the strikers.

"I've got to work hard to find my way into the team when Lee comes back. Hopefully I'll do well when he's out and we can all share the load and score in the second half of the season."

Knight has a rich football pedigree having been brought up in the same London youth circles as England men Joe Cole and Jermain Defoe and then enjoying a two-year spell at the FA National School at Lilleshall.

Swans midfielder Leon Britton, with whom Knight ironically shares a birthday, was a fellow pupil before the 5ft 5ins striker headed to star-studded Chelsea to further his football education.

Breaking into the first team at Stamford Bridge proved beyond Knight, but loan spells at QPR, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday followed before a £100,000 move and a three-year, goal-filled stay at Brighton.

"It's difficult to break through at somewhere like Chelsea, but you can't buy an education like that," he said. "I really enjoyed my time there.

"People might look at the number of clubs I've had at such a young age, but that's only because I was on loan from Chelsea.

"The gaffer obviously saw me at QPR when I was on loan there. He tried to sign me (for QPR) before I went to Brighton, but I'm just glad that he's shown an interest and followed my career.

"It's down to me to score goals and, if we get promoted, then the transfer fee will look like a bargain."

But why Swansea? With Championship clubs rumoured to be interested in a striker with 30 goals in just over 100 league appearances for Brighton, why has Knight dropped down to League One?

"The club is on the up and I want to be part of that. I'm not bothered about people saying that I've dropped down a league," he explained.

"We're looking to get promoted this season and hopefully we'll be in the Championship next year anyway.

"The club's ambitious and the gaffer is a young manager who looks to play football. When I spoke to my agent it seemed the right club and I can honestly say there was no thinking about anyone else.

"Swansea's got a new stadium and it's a lot different to what I've been used to at Brighton, what with the crowd and the facilities around the place.

"I wanted to play for a side I thought was going places, and I really believe that I've moved forward.

"I feel that strongly and now I've just got to make sure I do it on the pitch."

Knight struck 27 goals in Brighton's 2003-04 League One promotion campaign, including the winner against Bristol City in the play-off final at the Millennium Stadium.

But his stay at the Withdean turned sour in recent months when he was played out of position out wide and had several well-publicised rows with Seagulls boss Mark McGhee.

However, Knight - who was reportedly thrown off the Brighton team bus prior to their game at Southampton last week after questioning team selection - dismissed the accusation that he is a difficult player to manage.

"No one's perfect, but I'm not a trouble-maker," said Knight, who has signed a two-and-a-half year deal at Swansea.

"I'm only intent on causing trouble for the opposition's defence.

"The manager said when he signed me he only wants the truth from me. I was born and raised to tell the truth and that's what I intend to give him, the other players and the fans 110 per cent every time I go out on the pitch.

"The line has been drawn with Brighton.

"But it hasn't been a difficult time because nothing distracts me. That's just football, you move on.

"I'm just looking forward to playing well for Swansea, scoring goals and winning games.

"The aim now is to collect a few points over the next five months and get into the Championship.

"If chances get created, I've got to convert them. I've said it at all the clubs I've been at that if I get chances I will score goals.

"I've got faith in the manager and the chairman and it's exciting because they want to add players to the squad and the club can kick-on."

Knight should make his debut tomorrow against MK Dons - one of several clubs who wanted to sign him - and will probably partner Adebayo Akinfenwa in a classic little and large strike act.

And he hopes to make an instant impression in front of another substantial Liberty Stadium crowd.

"Coming to Swansea happened so quickly, but I'm glad it has worked out so smoothly," he said.

"Now I want to settle in, find my feet and start scoring goals very quickly because that's what I'm here for.

"I'll just be looking to impress and the manager will pick his team from there."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

08th January 2006

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
had a full page on leon all dressed up in his swansea kit yesterday claming yet again that he's better than defoe and how john terry talked him in to moving to wales talk about name dropping!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"I've got to work hard to find my way into the team when Lee comes back."

Thats you f***ed then.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
saltash seagull said:
had a full page on leon all dressed up in his swansea kit yesterday claming yet again that he's better than defoe and how john terry talked him in to moving to wales talk about name dropping!

it took that long to get into the papers because they had to adjust the average sized footie kit to accommodate leons petite frame and he is only better than defoe and terry if their names were spelt out in a scrabble game :D

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
"No one's perfect, but I'm not a trouble-maker," said Knight, who has signed a two-and-a-half year deal at Swansea.

I'm only intent on causing trouble for the opposition's defence."

Thats gotta be the corniest thing I've ever heard... :lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Strange he didn't mention who the competition for his signature were ..... Mk Dons and Swindon ... :shootself

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
"Swansea's got a new stadium and it's a lot different to what I've been used to at Brighton, what with the crowd and the facilities around the place.

Is he saying Swansea's fans are better than BHAs?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
he's a Knob that LEON. TWAT.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Uncle C said:

Is he saying Swansea's fans are better than BHAs?

Or could be saying currently Swansea are a bigger club than Brighton, which they are

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
currently being the KEY word and it depends what u measure big club on. cant really comment though as never bin to SWEANSEA. just dont like Knight saying it's a move up - i dont think it is at alll......

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
sheebo said:
currently being the KEY word and it depends what u measure big club on. cant really comment though as never bin to SWEANSEA. just dont like Knight saying it's a move up - i dont think it is at alll......

It might be in 6 months time though :nono:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
mcshane in the 79th said:
It might be in 6 months time though :nono:

But if Leon sticks to schedule won't that be about the time he goes through his first 'toys out the pram' phase ???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
it could end up a gd move in 6months but im a biased twat and will refuse to hear anyone say bad things about us....:clap2:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
to be fair to him he did a job here, couldnt work with the manager, we got an ok price and hes moved on, nothing nasty in there good luck to him:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here