Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...n-false-trump-claims/ar-AASIeU4?ocid=msedgntp

Sen. Rounds pushes GOP to get 'louder' on false Trump claims

Rounds, who is in his second Senate term, has been telling local newspapers, radio shows and Rotary clubs in South Dakota that he checked out the allegations of election fraud made by former President Donald Trump and, while there were some “irregularities,” they all came up empty of anything that could counter the truth that Trump lost.

the backlash from speaking was swift. Rounds said he wasn't looking to pick a fight with Trump, but that's exactly what happened. The former president called Rounds a “jerk” in a statement. Rounds stood by what he said, and argued there are many more Republicans like him — and they need to speak up.

“If we want to keep the trust and gain the trust of more individuals that are wondering, we have to probably say it a little bit louder and in more places that many of us normally either aren’t invited to talk or have chosen not to get into the fray,” Rounds told The Associated Press in an interview this week.

Rounds got backup after Trump's attack from several high-profile Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and fellow South Dakotan Sen. John Thune.

Some Republicans have worried that Trump's attacks will wind up hurting the party, depressing turnout by conservatives and damaging them in future elections.
That's a point Rounds made. He wants to move on from Trump's baseless election fraud claims, but not before making it clear that Trump lost — fair and square.

Last edited:

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Not uncommon. Here in Sweden its considered very important to be vaccinated but no one gives a shit about masks.

I guess it seems weird to me cos I live in Japan where it could also be said that no one gives a shit about masks. They just wear them. No fuss.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Which, until two years ago, the rest of the world* thought was really weird.

* except perhaps a few other Asian countries.

Yep, we are having to get used to the threat from viruses faced routinely in Asia and having to adapt our practices to theirs. It affects cultural attitudes to all types of things. Singaporeans for instance don’t tend as a rule to use public swimming pools because of water borne infection. In our last condo block out there all of our neighbours were local rather than expat and we virtually had the pool to ourselves.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...n-false-trump-claims/ar-AASIeU4?ocid=msedgntp

Sen. Rounds pushes GOP to get 'louder' on false Trump claims

Rounds, who is in his second Senate term, has been telling local newspapers, radio shows and Rotary clubs in South Dakota that he checked out the allegations of election fraud made by former President Donald Trump and, while there were some “irregularities,” they all came up empty of anything that could counter the truth that Trump lost.

the backlash from speaking was swift. Rounds said he wasn't looking to pick a fight with Trump, but that's exactly what happened. The former president called Rounds a “jerk” in a statement. Rounds stood by what he said, and argued there are many more Republicans like him — and they need to speak up.

“If we want to keep the trust and gain the trust of more individuals that are wondering, we have to probably say it a little bit louder and in more places that many of us normally either aren’t invited to talk or have chosen not to get into the fray,” Rounds told The Associated Press in an interview this week.

Rounds got backup after Trump's attack from several high-profile Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and fellow South Dakotan Sen. John Thune.

Some Republicans have worried that Trump's attacks will wind up hurting the party, depressing turnout by conservatives and damaging them in future elections.
That's a point Rounds made. He wants to move on from Trump's baseless election fraud claims, but not before making it clear that Trump lost — fair and square.

There are a few points here. Almost everyone knows that Trump legitimately lost the 2020 election but many Trump Republicans think Trump is the only way to win in 2024 and if Trump keeps backing the election fraud issue they don't want to anger him by stating the obvious that they think he lost in 2020 but really desire Trump to win in 2024. There are many more Republicans fighting with Trump over Trump's election fraud claims than Democrats now and many of those Republicans that must run again for office see opposing Trump, who is not endorsing candidates that oppose his claims of 2020 election fraud (despite no good evidence from any state), as putting a close election in jeopardy because Trump still has a great deal of support among the Fox News/OAN/Newsmax brainwashed voters. Until more politicians like Rounds start seeking the real truth on moral grounds and drowning out the Trump Republicans, who numbers are slowly declining, Trump will not be irrelevant and will threaten world wide democracy for a long time into the future. This is one of the most important issues since the communist takeovers.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Actually it was the state politicians that have authority to put on the state seal but not the authority to substitute a document that was ultimately illegal. You might guess that MSNBC loves to sensationalize these stories to get more viewers.

They were given a "cease and desist" order by the state legislature for using the state seal without authorisation. Republican ,members of the legislature cannot unilaterally usurp the state seal and create fraudulent certiicates.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
They were given a "cease and desist" order by the state legislature for using the state seal without authorisation. Republican ,members of the legislature cannot unilaterally usurp the state seal and create fraudulent certiicates.

I did say substituting the documents was ultimately illegal. Legality is sometimes determined by judges at a later time.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I received this plea for monetary funds from the Democratic Senator from New Hampshire about Senate races in 2022.

Hi there,

In just a few days, Donald Trump is heading to Arizona to try to defeat Mark Kelly and flip the Senate back to Republican control.

The last time Trump was in Arizona, he said, “Taking America back begins with kicking Mark Kelly the hell out of the United States Senate.”

Look, I know what kind of impact big Republican names can have in a close race because those same attacks have been leveled against me. You have to take them seriously, and without the resources to fight back, they can really sting. That’s why I’m asking you to please split an urgent contribution between my campaign and Mark Kelly’s before Donald Trump touches down. Any amount would be appreciated!

If you don't think Donald Trump is very involved in the 2022 Senate races and appears irrelevant then you are totally wrong.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...other-trump-campaign/ar-AASNehr?ocid=msedgntp

Yale history professor Timothy Snyder told Insider he fears American democracy may not survive another Trump campaign

A history professor at Yale University, and the author of a series of books on authoritarianism and the road to tyranny, he looks at the United States these days and wonders if the country as we know it will still exist in a few years.

Unfortunately, that scenario is not one that is just in the rearview mirror. It's also one that is right in front of us. The problem with a failed coup, which is what January 6th, 2021, is, is that it is practice for a successful coup. So what we're looking at now is a kind of slow-motion practice for a repetition of all of that, but this time with the legal parts of it more fully prepared. What I'm afraid of is that now, in the shadow of a big lie — namely, that Trump actually won — the states are preparing the legal steps that will enable Trump to be installed as president the next time around. And that in turn will lead to a terrible sort of conflict, the kind that we haven't seen before.

Let me try a comparison. If you think that democracy just succeeded on January 6th, sort of on its own strength, then you're missing the backdrop. In the course of the year 2020 there were a lot of important individuals and institutions, ranging from civil society to business, who were aware that there was some possibility that Trump would go for it, even if he lost, and were making preparations for that all year long. Without those preparations, it's very likely that Trump would have succeeded, or at least he would've come close enough to succeeding that we would be in terrible, bloody chaos for a very long time.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-faithful-rally-in-arizona/ar-AASOXlB

Trump faithful rally in Arizona
AFP - 15/01/2022 7:04 PM

"Many topics will be discussed," he said in a statement Friday, "including the Rigged Presidential Election of 2020, the fake Big Lie, the corrupt LameStream Media, the Afghanistan disaster, Inflation, the sudden lack of respect for our Nation and its leaders, and much more.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/15/us/politics/trump-rally-republicans.html

Trump Rally Underscores G.O.P. Tension Over How to Win in 2022

His (Trump) involvement in state races and his inability to let go of his 2020 loss worries many Republicans.

When Mr. Trump took the stage in the evening, he lavished praise on the slate of election-denier candidates in attendance. And he suggested that perpetuating his grievances about being cheated would be a decisive issue for Republican candidates.

“We can’t let them get away with it,” Mr. Trump said. Then, he added, referring to Ms. Lake and her rejection of the 2020 results: “I think it’s one of the reasons she’s doing so well.”

But as popular as the former president remains with the core of the G.O.P.’s base, his involvement in races from Arizona to Pennsylvania — and his inability to let go of his loss to Mr. Biden — has veteran Republicans in Washington and beyond concerned. They worry that Mr. Trump is imperiling their chances in what should be a highly advantageous political climate, with Democrats deeply divided over their policy agenda and Americans taking a generally pessimistic view of Mr. Biden’s leadership a year into his presidency.

Senator Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader, and other senior party officials have expressed their misgivings in recent days about Mr. Trump’s fixation on the last election, saying that it threatens to alienate the voters they need to win over in the next election in November.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opin...has-jumped-the-shark/ar-AASQ73w?ocid=msedgntp

Trump's Arizona Speech Proves His Shock Comic Act Has Jumped the Shark

Trump’s performance in Arizona on Saturday night—his first rally in months and his much-hyped chance to respond to the one-year anniversary of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot—was neither shocking nor terribly newsworthy.

The Arizona rally may have been the unofficial kickoff of his 2024 campaign. But this time around, Trump will have to work harder to break through—and not just because the media is less likely to give him ample air time free of charge.

Call it the Andrew Dice Clay conundrum: If your entire schtick is based on shock value, eventually the audience grows inured, and the lack of substance becomes embarrassingly plain.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...r-says-trump-is-done/ar-AASRLVy?ocid=msedgntp

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter says Trump 'is done'

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter is predicting the end of Donald Trump's hegemony in the GOP, saying the former president "is done."

Coulter's comments came in an article published in the Times on Sunday about the mounting tensions between Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) amid speculation of a potential showdown for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

While DeSantis has so far sought to tamp down rumors that he's angling for a possible White House bid, his rise within the GOP and growing national profile have irked Trump, who sees the Florida governor as owing his political success to him.

Coulter pounced on Trump over those comments in a tweet last week calling the former president a "liar and con man."

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ew-conspiracy-theory/ar-AASRKdS?ocid=msedgntp

Reflecting on Jan. 6, Trump pushes weird new conspiracy theory

One year after the riot, after having time to reflect on the events, Trump has identified what he considers the truly important detail about the events of Jan. 6, 2021. The fatalities? The insurrectionist intent? The alleged crimes? The defilement of our seat of government? The attempts to use violence to reject our system of democracy?

No, what really weighs on the former president is the degree to which "they" fail to acknowledge the size of the crowd that appeared in the nation's capital in advance of the riot.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I live in Indiana, a truly ultra conservative state. I've lost more than a few friends that have believed the crap being spewed by conservative networks like Fox News.

That’s a real shame.

I’ve managed to keep hold of my Brexiteer friends as well as those buddies who voted for Boris the Liar, the worst British PM in living memory but I’d struggle to stay in contact with a Trump supporter, I think they’re either totally brainwashed or completely simple.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...r-says-trump-is-done/ar-AASRLVy?ocid=msedgntp

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter says Trump 'is done'

Conservative pundit Ann Coulter is predicting the end of Donald Trump's hegemony in the GOP, saying the former president "is done."

Coulter's comments came in an article published in the Times on Sunday about the mounting tensions between Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) amid speculation of a potential showdown for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

While DeSantis has so far sought to tamp down rumors that he's angling for a possible White House bid, his rise within the GOP and growing national profile have irked Trump, who sees the Florida governor as owing his political success to him.

Coulter pounced on Trump over those comments in a tweet last week calling the former president a "liar and con man."

Even if Trump is gone, will Trumpism be gone? That I doubt, the GOP seems to have changed to a far right cult

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Even if Trump is gone, will Trumpism be gone? That I doubt, the GOP seems to have changed to a far right cult

There are more and more Republicans each day who want to move on without Trump. The basic reason is because he is a loser. He lost several elections now for the Republicans. In the end the true Democratic ideals of the Republican party will reemerge, I believe.

Joe McCarthy, the Wisconsin Senator who held hearings against "communists" eventually went too far. Trump is much more slowly heading in that direction. Trump says the "Lamestream" media is reporting his numbers incorrectly but that is not true. His numbers of people gathering for his rallies are becoming a bit smaller each time. Because his message hasn't changed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there isnt really any "ism", its always been a personality cult. however its pretty strong one, the Republicans fear there is enough support for him that will vote for him or an endorsment if he runs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here