Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why are these people OBSESSED over bringing the families of politicians into the argument? It's almost as if they can't find anything incriminating (or anything new that hasn't been done before), so they attack them by association.

I honestly don't know which way it's going to go next week (I'm assuming Trumpo wins, so anything different will be a bonus), but I'm not quite sure where that repetitive moron Spence is getting his info about a red wave.

With his swipes at other news sources we can assume he reads "non-Fake News" - possibly on the Internet somewhere.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why are these people OBSESSED over bringing the families of politicians into the argument? It's almost as if they can't find anything incriminating (or anything new that hasn't been done before), so they attack them by association.

It's mad, especially given the Trump family has more skeletons in more closets than virtually any of them.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
LBC’s excellent James O’Brien (btw hugely anti Tory) even now says that the Tory government are not on the same page of this Republican Party. I agree. It’s so easy to get carried away with personal bias and lump all right or left wing politicuans together. Trump, Pence and their Congressional chums etc have:

Literally dismantled healthcare for 10m’s of the poor.
Tore up their side of the world’s efforts on climate change.
Sought to temper women’s rights.
Likewise gay rights.
Condoned or refused to condemn racists and fascists, including undoubted murderers.
Started development in pristine wilderness and sacred native American lands.
Refused to condemn the waging of war, invasions and genocide from either Putin or China.
Cancelled laws and rules that prevented pollution.
Mocked military heroes.
Encouraged armed Alt Right thicko’s to take back their states.

On any spectrum, the current Republicans are way to the right. Here and now, real policies and acts affecting real people lives.

I read this today, and I feel certain this is exactly where this is heading - Already have state election body packing of republicans, voter suppression in democrat areas, "election watchers" of Trump filming people (intimidation) Trump claiming mail fraud daily (even though there is no proof - accept normal margins of area in any western democracy), Trump falsely claiming he's winning in many swing states all polls say he isnt, Rushing through Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court to give the republicans a 6-3 majority...... I think the New statesman are spot on with how Trump is preparing/planning to try and steal the election.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2020/10/even-if-donald-trump-defeated-left-must-get-ready-fight-trumpism

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
P

I read this today, and I feel certain this is exactly where this is heading - Already have state election body packing of republicans, voter suppression in democrat areas, "election watchers" of Trump filming people (intimidation) Trump claiming mail fraud daily (even though there is no proof - accept normal margins of area in any western democracy), Trump falsely claiming he's winning in many swing states all polls say he isnt, Rushing through Amy Coney Barrett to the supreme court to give the republicans a 6-3 majority...... I think the New statesman are spot on with how Trump is preparing/planning to try and steal the election.

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/north-america/2020/10/even-if-donald-trump-defeated-left-must-get-ready-fight-trumpism

I pray that Biden wins clearly.

I think you’re in for a very pleasant surprise this time next week - a Biden win and Democrat control of the Senate.

No doubt the orange big baby won’t go quietly, but if he tries that, the entire government will lock up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I pray that Biden wins clearly.

I think you’re in for a very pleasant surprise this time next week - a Biden win and Democrat control of the Senate.

No doubt the orange big baby won’t go quietly, but if he tries that, the entire government will lock up.

I hope youre right my friend, Not convinced personally.

This is possible the most important and most dangerous Election in our lifetimes. I shudder to think of what will happen if he wins (or more likely Steals with gerrymandering/chicanery), US Democracy will die. He'll gut the free press and democratic institutions and In 4 years it will be nearer Putins Russia, than Obamas 2016 America.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's mad, especially given the Trump family has more skeletons in more closets than virtually any of them.

Michael Cohen, Stormy Daniels and $130,000 is the one that has never been adequately explained, you don't get to become a " Top Businessman " by giving away $130,000 without a reason.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I hope youre right my friend, Not convinced personally.

This is possible the most important and most dangerous Election in our lifetimes. I shudder to think of what will happen if he wins (or more likely Steals with gerrymandering/chicanery), US Democracy will die. He'll gut the free press and democratic institutions and In 4 years it will be nearer Putins Russia, than Obamas 2016 America.

Think this through.

Trump’s high water mark was November 2016, when he lied through his teeth with the help of emails leaking that solely targeted Hilary. The Clinton’s were portrayed as murderous peadophile’s, Hilary a criminal. YET he won less that half the popular vote.

Now with a track record of CV19 incompetence costing many of the 0.25m lives lost, mocking war heroes, refusing to condemn Alt Right murderers, a crashed economy, 8% unemployed, the treatment of minorities and non-whites, gays and women, the nastiness, how thick he came across during times of crisis .... disinfectant anyone.

That imho has swung a vital few percentage points to the Democrats.

His attempt in the last ten days to pretend to come across as a quietly spoken nice guy, too little to late.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
LBC’s excellent James O’Brien (btw hugely anti Tory) even now says that the Tory government are not on the same page of this Republican Party. I agree. It’s so easy to get carried away with personal bias and lump all right or left wing politicuans together. Trump, Pence and their Congressional chums etc have:

Literally dismantled healthcare for 10m’s of the poor.
Tore up their side of the world’s efforts on climate change.
Sought to temper women’s rights.
Likewise gay rights.
Condoned or refused to condemn racists and fascists, including undoubted murderers.
Started development in pristine wilderness and sacred native American lands.
Refused to condemn the waging of war, invasions and genocide from either Putin or China.
Cancelled laws and rules that prevented pollution.
Mocked military heroes.
Encouraged armed Alt Right thicko’s to take back their states.

On any spectrum, the current Republicans are way to the right. Here and now, real policies and acts affecting real people lives.

On the whole the current Tory government and leadership are inept rather than downright insane. Trump seems to have taken a hold over the entire Republican party in that there are very few who will actually stand up and challenge him for his actions and inactions. They have virtually all sold their souls and peddle whatever Trump says despite the contradictions. I think the precedent was set at Trump's inauguration with the conflicting numbers of people who attended the event, the famous " Alternative Facts " statement..... it was downhill all the way from there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On the whole the current Tory government and leadership are inept rather than downright insane. Trump seems to have taken a hold over the entire Republican party in that there are very few who will actually stand up and challenge him for his actions and inactions. They have virtually all sold their souls and peddle whatever Trump says despite the contradictions. I think the precedent was set at Trump's inauguration with the conflicting numbers of people who attended the event, the famous " Alternative Facts " statement..... it was downhill all the way from there.

I think the levels Trump has dragged them down too may well have surprised even them.

I don't know, and as is customary after writing that I'm happy to be corrected, but I think the 'Party' we happy to be led by McConnell while they 'let Donny do his thing'.

So they put up with him because, what's the worse that could happen, while McConnell, Graham et al feathered the bed.

I think they've realised (hopefully) far, far too late that they've actually been feathering every bed for someone else.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Do you remember when and how that “hold” occurred. Throughout 2016 Trump was despised by most Republican congressmen, he belittled them (small penis type non-jokes), there was much talk of them trying to usurp him at the 2016 convention. I was really impressed with Senator Paul Ryan standing up to the bully, lambasting Trump over his behaviour and Alt Right agenda, many others did the same,

The moment he got elected, they all bottled it, the most remarkable collective u-turn. Strictly down party partizan lines, backing every extreme policy, in committees and hearings aggressively attacking anyone who had dirt on Trump. Playing to the Alt Right and Tea Party types in their states, rather than their wider audience.

I can’t remember the Republican Party being so far to the right myself, but a UK based NSC’er told me once that had been before at some non-Nixon stage in the 60’s or 70’s. The party as a whole, I can’t remember that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the levels Trump has dragged them down too may well have surprised even them.

I don't know, and as is customary after writing that I'm happy to be corrected, but I think the 'Party' we happy to be led by McConnell while they 'let Donny do his thing'.

So they put up with him because, what's the worse that could happen, while McConnell, Graham et al feathered the bed.

I think they've realised (hopefully) far, far too late that they've actually been feathering every bed for someone else.

You’re probably aware, quite a few Republican senators are likely to lose their seats next week, who’d have thought that they were safe ad infinitum. (According to state polling, not suffering the complexities of the Electoral College system for the national vote). States with abandoned elderly (CV19) or large non-white populations (Trump and the KKK).

Paying the price.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That's a myth. It isn't.

Like our Labour party is very factional with many different cliques more centrist or more leftist. Biden is a centrist, Harris the most liberal of all Senators is much more to the left. The Republicans are way further right to our Conservatives.

The Dems want to pull US to the left of where it is, but faced with almost any European country they'd be pulling to the right. Although the seem left, when you break down what they believe it just looks left only because the Republicans are so far right.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How the **** is this not in the bear pit?

Because it seems there is almost universal agreement.

Here we probably have Greens, Labour, Lib Dems and Tories. Both Brexiteers and Remainers who pretty much all despise the useless bullshitting cretin sitting in the White House.

There is the odd lone voice (who are still more subjective than outright pro Trump) + Spence......... who seems to be fighting his own one man MAGA, red wave crusade armed with a myriad of alternative reality faux facts, fresh from Fox News and Breitbart.

Edit: I never saw your post [MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] until after I posted mine - great minds and all that!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Wow that is truly staggering and frightening.

Thats why Trump loves and arse licks Putin, Erdogan, Kim Jong Un.

He aspires to be an autocratic despot that controls all the media and locks up critics.

Like I said, its the most important election in our life time. US Democracy is genuinely at stake.

KeithDublin

Aug 23, 2019
Wow that is truly staggering and frightening.

Thats why Trump loves and arse licks Putin, Erdogan, Kim Jong Un.

He aspires to be an autocratic despot that controls all the media and locks up critics.

Like I said, its the most important election in our life time. US Democracy is genuinely at stake.

I'm meant to be moving into a new place on Nov 1st. I'm seriously considering asking to put it back by a week, because if Trump wins, I think I might come back to the UK. For some reason the words 'frying pan' and 'fire' spring to mind!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can’t remember the Republican Party being so far to the right myself, but a UK based NSC’er told me once that had been before at some non-Nixon stage in the 60’s or 70’s. The party as a whole, I can’t remember that.

You're probably thinking of Barry Goldwater who was the candidate against Johnson in 1964. He was a strong believer in segregation, opposed Johnson's Civil Rights Act and railed agains Roosevelt New Deal fiscal stimulation.

On the other hand, he was a senior statesman in the Republican party and it was intervention that persuaded Nixon that the game was up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here