Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

True stories - The cove

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not that I would be in favour of that kind of treatment of any animal. :)

Exactly that. My point was just to highlight the fact that we do seem to get upset by this event, and others similar. Yet happily allow other sentient animals, like pigs, or chickens to be reared in environments which are frankly 1000s of times more barbaric than the annual cull of sea mammals, and it goes on 365 days of the year.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes, millions and millions of animlas, pigs and chickens, every day, all day long, all year long, caged inside huge barns, concrete floors, never seeing the light of day, force fed with a combination of growth hormones, drugs and processed feeds, wallowing in their own faeces, and then slaughtered to provide food for the masses.
Yes I have seen the video, some time ago, and it is horrible, vile, and barbaric, and something I would like to see stopped. But let's not forget what all those of us who eat pork and chickhen based food in this country are responsible for, 24/7/365, millions of animls, every month. The Dolphins have a chance (if they are that intelligent) to escape, but the millions of farmed animals we consume don't, and they are treated disgustingly, aided by appalling animal welfare legislation that this country will not deal with. I believe that we should get our own house in order before we start worrying about others.

Hey, it's a personal opinion, one that is shared by many. Just think about the global picture of animal cruelty, and you'll see that there is in fact a lot of appalling/barbaric things going on out there, and some of it is on our doorstep.

Peace \/, and eat free range if you can.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Very good film this.

Funny story. I skim read a review of this which painted it to be a light hearted mocumentary about the use of Dolphins in the entertainment industry in America and so convinced my now ex-girlfriend to come and watch it on the basis that it would be a bit silly and funny (not that the enslavement of Dolphons are either).

Long story short, it turned out that it was about the horiffic slaughtering of Doplhins in Taiji inclusive with some really horrendous video's, my now ex-girlfriend started crying during the film, and I just felt like the worst person ever. I got seriously trolled by a commentor on IMDB.

Anyway, it's a really good documentary and the lengths people go to disrupt and stop the trade with very little recognition should be commended.

I agree, however dolphins are much more intelligent then something like Cod. + the dolphins don't just get killed they get tortured and repeatedly stabbed!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Yes, millions and millions of animlas, pigs and chickens, every day, all day long, all year long, caged inside huge barns, concrete floors, never seeing the light of day, force fed with a combination of growth hormones, drugs and processed feeds, wallowing in their own faeces, and then slaughtered to provide food for the masses.
Yes I have seen the video, some time ago, and it is horrible, vile, and barbaric, and something I would like to see stopped. But let's not forget what all those of us who eat pork and chickhen based food in this country are responsible for, 24/7/365, millions of animls, every month. The Dolphins have a chance (if they are that intelligent) to escape, but the millions of farmed animals we consume don't, and they are treated disgustingly, aided by appalling animal welfare legislation that this country will not deal with. I believe that we should get our own house in order before we start worrying about others.

Hey, it's a personal opinion, one that is shared by many. Just think about the global picture of animal cruelty, and you'll see that there is in fact a lot of appalling/barbaric things going on out there, and some of it is on our doorstep.

Peace \/, and eat free range if you can.

Good posts Phil. I agree about eat free range if you can, but also become a veggie if you can. It's not half as bad as one might think!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Exactly that. My point was just to highlight the fact that we do seem to get upset by this event, and others similar. Yet happily allow other sentient animals, like pigs, or chickens to be reared in environments which are frankly 1000s of times more barbaric than the annual cull of sea mammals, and it goes on 365 days of the year.

I know exactly what you're saying. However, there is a slight difference in that, if we buy free-range/high quality meat then we hope that the animals have been treated reasonably well. From that video (I admit I have limited knowledge of the subject!) it seems that the government is not forcing the fishing industry to actually find a more humane way of killing the creatures. Surely killing a chicken in as little pain as possible is slightly different to herding up a load of dolphins, deliberately hacking some of them and seperating the mothers and babies to allow their screams of anguish to panic the others, dragging them across concrete and slitting their necks and waiting for them to slowly suffocate?

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
I know exactly what you're saying. However, there is a slight difference in that, if we buy free-range/high quality meat then we hope that the animals have been treated reasonably well. From that video (I admit I have limited knowledge of the subject!) it seems that the government is not forcing the fishing industry to actually find a more humane way of killing the creatures. Surely killing a chicken in as little pain as possible is slightly different to herding up a load of dolphins, deliberately hacking some of them and seperating the mothers and babies to allow their screams of anguish to panic the others, dragging them across concrete and slitting their necks and waiting for them to slowly suffocate?

Agreed. Well said!

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Theirs a new mini series of this called "blood dolphins" on Animal planet. But i think it's only on in the US, anyone know a way of watching it online?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here