Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trouble at the Cherry Tree?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
In all seriousness, I don't think there is too much wrong with hooligans. That is to say, the idea of hooliganism - proper hooliganism. Nothing is worse than feeling threatened at a game or actually being attacked by a bunch of meatheads. The point I was making was that the so-called real hooligan shouldn’t be a problem to the regular fan. These real hoolies fight with each other, they don’t go round hitting scarfers or intimidating women and children. Ultimately they stick to their own and don’t put up with people in their ranks who do do these things.

The problem is I that think the real hooligan is much like the chivalrous knight – largely a myth. It’s certainly been an idea that’s been perpetuated in the recent wave of books on the subject. I doubt it’s ever been the case that regular fans could ever feel totally at ease when surrounded by groups of blokes who like a scrap. It’s the difference between the two that I’m talking about. Geezers out on the beer looking for a fight are a different thing entirely to the organised mobs who arrange to meet their counterparts.

How much these proper firms do still operate, I don’t know (or care). The fact is, if they do, then let them get on with it. They only hurt themselves, and why not? They love it! At the end of the day, I agree with you KLH about these blokes at Boro, they’re no use to anyone. But I do think they are a different thing entirely to the organised hooligans we read so much about on the sports shelves and about which the papers are so fond of writing. That’s if they do actually exist anymore. Chances are it’s just disparate rabbles at each club acting out the hoolie lifestyle but having a few too many beers and then getting it wrong. This, though, is beside the point – it’s not these people I condone, it’s these fabled “real” hooligans I’m talking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here