Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Trials to shorten football matches to 60 minutes with ball-in-play time keeping

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I feel the whole game will slow down. The delays between play will get even longer. This is football, not American football. Time wasting and winding down the clock is part of the game. EVERY club does it at some point in the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
159 years of the Laws being perfectly satisfactory - and a committee which needs to justify its existence suggests something which is only an issue because the authorities won't enforce the Laws properly.

Bag o'shite.

Most ignorant post of the season award goes to .....

Others have pointed out many changes over the history of the game.
I love watching the "Big Match" seeing goalkeepers bounce the ball, basketball style, as they make their way to the edge of their area before booting upfield

Are you new to football?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is football, not American football. Time wasting and winding down the clock is part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummmm.....American football is RENOWNED for running down the clock. It's a tactic.

Apart from the stop/start element, our game would be nothing like american football.

In fact, this move, if anything, is moving us further away from the time wasting element of american football.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Whilst would stop time wasting I would suggest watching a game of football would become far more frustrating.

Winning teams would take an age to restart the games at corners, goal kicks, free kicks etc.

Yes yes I know they wouldn’t actually be wasting ‘game time’ but with the clock not running they would have no punishment for taking as long as they liked to get the game going again to make sure they disrupt any momentum the losing team had.

It would rid the game of one problem and present it with another and can’t help but feel the flow and feeling of the game could be hugely disrupted by it.

I know they could put a ‘limit’ on how long it takes to restart the game, but If that’s the case why don’t they just do that now ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
159 years of the Laws being perfectly satisfactory - and a committee which needs to justify its existence suggests something which is only an issue because the authorities won't enforce the Laws properly.

Bag o'shite.

Completely disagree. I'm all in favour of this trial because the refs NEVER do their job properly (the simplest part of their duties incidentally) and players cheat and take the piss constantly. My only proviso is that I would have the voice of Anneka Rice booming "Stop the clock" over the tannoy every time the ball goes out of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here