Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trialists

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
not smith or ifill becuase they are palace. i don't like it when we sign palace players or ex palace players, it waters down the rivalry a bit.

i don't really hate them but i enjoy the rivalry. its part of who we are!

So you would rather we didnt sign players like Borrowdale and Calvin Andrew?
Who imo kept us up (not single handedly) with the goals Andrew scored, and actually having a left back in Borrowdale who probably would have been replaced by Mayo who with the greatest respects probably would not have done so well.
Ifill would be a great signing, sorry but i agree with SM, stupid post!

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
So you would rather we didnt sign players like Borrowdale and Calvin Andrew?
Who imo kept us up (not single handedly) with the goals Andrew scored, and actually having a left back in Borrowdale who probably would have been replaced by Mayo who with the greatest respects probably would not have done so well.
Ifill would be a great signing, sorry but i agree with SM, stupid post!

andrews was rubbish, borrowdale was okay but nothing more. it wasn't loan players that kept us up, it was because slade starting picking our OWN players - fraser, loft etc - who played with like they meant it.

point i was making is that if we start picking up and playing palace cast offs we're kind of accepting that they're a bigger club than us. i love the rivalry. all proper clubs have one. if we get all fiendly with them it will dilute the sense of being genuine rivals.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
andrews was rubbish, borrowdale was okay but nothing more. it wasn't loan players that kept us up, it was because slade starting picking our OWN players - fraser, loft etc - who played with like they meant it.

point i was making is that if we start picking up and playing palace cast offs we're kind of accepting that they're a bigger club than us. i love the rivalry. all proper clubs have one. if we get all fiendly with them it will dilute the sense of being genuine rivals.

Biggest pile of bull shit I have ever read.
Calvin Andrew was very good, had all the attributes that make a good striker, Borrowdale is probably the best LB (other than McNulty) I've seen for us in recent years, I don't remember him making a single mistake.
Rivalry should not mist your views on a good addition to the team.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Is this Smith guy really that good?

Difficult to say whether he,ll make it, but against Worthing, he looked (IMHO) better than anyone else on the pitch....which I know included many youth players, but also some players with league experience.

I understand he is only 19....so time to improve. He has been cast adrift by another club (Palace), but every so often a club manager gets it wrong. Managers don't often get it wrong, but I well remember a top manager in the past, who was to become the future England manager ( Bobby Robson), casting a certain Gary Stevens aside because he thought he wouldn't make the grade.

Smith had more than a bit of skill, took his goal very well, with a good eye for the "killer" pass. Reminded me a bit of Wilkins.

I,d give him a 1 year deal.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Andrew scored the winner late on vs Hartlepool, and the winner against Bristol rovers and got us back level at Huddersfield, thats 5 points if you look at it that way, and how many did we stay up by? 5!!!!
Not to mention he and Borrowdale played a part of getting momentum and a spirit going to keep us up. Im pretty sure we would have gained more shit from palarse had we been relegated. As i said, without Borrowdale we would have been playing mayo (i guess) who probably wouldnt have been up to the job.
Sorry but think what your sayings rather stupid.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Difficult to say whether he,ll make it, but against Worthing, he looked (IMHO) better than anyone else on the pitch....which I know included many youth players, but also some players with league experience.

I understand he is only 19....so time to improve. He has been cast adrift by another club (Palace), but every so often a club manager gets it wrong. Managers don't often get it wrong, but I well remember a top manager in the past, who was to become the future England manager ( Bobby Robson), casting a certain Gary Stevens aside because he thought he wouldn't make the grade.

Smith had more than a bit of skill, took his goal very well, with a good eye for the "killer" pass. Reminded me a bit of Wilkins.

I'd give him a 2/3 year deal because we might not see the full potential for a few years yet seen as he is only 19, I also thought he looked a class apart at Worthing, got lost a bit against Stevenage though I feel.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Biggest pile of bull shit I have ever read.
Calvin Andrew was very good, had all the attributes that make a good striker, Borrowdale is probably the best LB (other than McNulty) I've seen for us in recent years, I don't remember him making a single mistake.
Rivalry should not mist your views on a good addition to the team.

these are 2 players who couldn't break into mid table championship teams last year. harding was better than borrowdale and he was only okay. andrew is a mule. if it wasn't for him getting injured forster wouldn't have come off the bench and scored the winner against stockport to keep us up.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Andrew scored the winner late on vs Hartlepool, and the winner against Bristol rovers and got us back level at Huddersfield, thats 5 points if you look at it that way, and how many did we stay up by? 5!!!!
Not to mention he and Borrowdale played a part of getting momentum and a spirit going to keep us up. Im pretty sure we would have gained more shit from palarse had we been relegated. As i said, without Borrowdale we would have been playing mayo (i guess) who probably wouldnt have been up to the job.
Sorry but think what your sayings rather stupid.

can i ask how you would feel if zamora signed for palace tomorrow?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

Agree with that. He reminds me a bit of the lad Gary Johnson (son of the Bristol City manager) who played a couple of games for us and looked very good on the ball. I think we decided against signing him due to fitness issues but he's gone on to prove his worth in the championship. We don't have any other midfielders (with the possible exception of Cox) who can play the killer ball, so worth giving him a whirl.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
can i ask how you would feel if zamora signed for palace tomorrow?

Dont understand how thats relevant.
Hard to say really, i expect it wouldnt change my opinions on him at all, still a Brighton ledgend and obviously would have his reasons for signing for that club. He has his house, family etc to look after, and if he sees playing for palace as the best way to do that then fair enough.
I dont understand the problem/disliking you have to having ex palace players playing for us. No doubts they both helped us stay up. And in response to your final point, without Forsters goal we would still have drawn that game as i thought we outplayed Stockport (crewe were down anyway too).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Rook is NOT a League 1 player.

And yes I have seen him play. Quite a few times.

I believe he started out as a centre back at Hastings before heading upfront and making a bit of a name for himself.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Alan Navarro looks the only decent one to be honest, i have seen both the Stevenage and Wimbledon game and i thought we looked very weak in Midfield and a bit worrying defensively, but i know is pre-season so lots can change.
Navarro id like to see a bit more of, but please do not sign Spiller, or whatever his name is looks useless, cant tackle and cant pass in my opinion.
Rook i like the sound of him but i havent seen anything of him to give my opinion, i would also liked to have seen Iffill sign but he has decided to get away from English game and have a easy time playing sunday part football in Australia/New Zealand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here