Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Tree damage in Preston Park (again)

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Also not sure if there was an implication it was travellers. Maybe it was. Again, not much to be gained with stirring hatred with a community. Best thing we can do is engage with them
Have you tried "engaging" with them?
I know from first hand experience that you will be met with intimidation and threats of violence.
They aren't interested in having any sort of conversation with the "settled" community, they just want to continue their lifestyle of thievery and conning old people.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ye knaw, what ah reckon is that, if they had the'selves proper jobs, they wouldn't be up to all this, y'know, larkin' every night.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
its a youth/alcohol/bored/boundary pushing thing. always happened and always will.

doesn't mean its right or proper and in fact as you get older it gets more annoying. I live near a railway bridge that is constantly tagged and graffitied. mindless.

I have done very little vandalism in my life - run over cars as someone else put when I was 17 was the highlight (lowlight). I did smash someones backdoors in once but since married that hasnt happened

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sorry to see this happen again. Sad to say that the only way to stop it is to put secure protection around the trees until they are big enough to resist this type of vandalism. As for the youth of today, the distinction between some of them and the description of the way "pikeys" behave on the other thread seems.... blurred. Often, I mistakenly assume the caravans must have arrived in town again ....but it's just "kids today" acting as they do. Gobby, arrogant, littering, tagging, blatantly law breaking in front of you. Now I know many will say "just as it's ever been, you're getting old" but I'm not so sure.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I was in a pub a couple of years ago and some absolute wanker was boasting about all the garden gnomes he'd stolen/removed/smashed after a bender the week before. Not one of the people he was with, and they were all fairly typical lout types, thought it was funny at all and he got all sorts of abuse from everyone around him. That restored my faith in humanity a little bit and I mentioned that to the group. He was very embarrassed and for the first time realised how petty and stupid he was.

Obviously, that part of the story isn't seen by the people who now probably no longer display anything in their front gardens and it makes the street a sadder place for it.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I was in a pub a couple of years ago and some absolute wanker was boasting about all the garden gnomes he'd stolen/removed/smashed after a bender the week before. Not one of the people he was with, and they were all fairly typical lout types, thought it was funny at all and he got all sorts of abuse from everyone around him. That restored my faith in humanity a little bit and I mentioned that to the group. He was very embarrassed and for the first time realised how petty and stupid he was.

Obviously, that part of the story isn't seen by the people who now probably no longer display anything in their front gardens and it makes the street a sadder place for it.

I remember 25-30 years ago there was a spate of garden gnomes going missing from front gardens in Brighton & Hove.

The Evening Argus put out an appeal on behalf of some old dear who had had her whole gnome collection pinched from her front garden near Fiveways.

The following week the Argus reported that her 15 garden gnomes had been found queued up in a neat line at a bus shelter in Southwick. ???

True story.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bring back national service.
I'm sure that spotty vandals would be welcomed warmly by the professional soldier. I can see it clearly in my mind's eye.

Oh, hang on....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to see this happen again. Sad to say that the only way to stop it is to put secure protection around the trees until they are big enough to resist this type of vandalism. As for the youth of today, the distinction between some of them and the description of the way "pikeys" behave on the other thread seems.... blurred. Often, I mistakenly assume the caravans must have arrived in town again ....but it's just "kids today" acting as they do. Gobby, arrogant, littering, tagging, blatantly law breaking in front of you. Now I know many will say "just as it's ever been, you're getting old" but I'm not so sure.
When I was a kid we feared adults owing to the risk of getting a clip round the ear 'ole. Not that it ever happened.

I suspect things are worse now because a small minority of disturbed kids have access to the internet where they can have their worst fantasies and imperatives reinforced. So the worst of them are bolder.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I remember 25-30 years ago there was a spate of garden gnomes going missing from front gardens in Brighton & Hove.

The Evening Argus put out an appeal on behalf of some old dear who had had her whole gnome collection pinched from her front garden near Fiveways.

The following week the Argus reported that her 15 garden gnomes had been found queued up in a neat line at a bus shelter in Southwick. ???

True story.
The pub my exchange happened was The Royal George on Holmbush roundabout and the chap involved (who has since passed away) lived just around the corner. It wouldn't massively surprise me if he made a lifetime habit of that kind of wankery.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm sure that spotty vandals would be welcomed warmly by the professional soldier. I can see it clearly in my mind's eye.

Oh, hang on....
I can remember someone in Plymouth who appeared in court in Glasgow, in 66. He was told either go to Borstal or join the military. He chose the latter.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Have you tried "engaging" with them?
I know from first hand experience that you will be met with intimidation and threats of violence.
They aren't interested in having any sort of conversation with the "settled" community, they just want to continue their lifestyle of thievery and conning old people.
untrue. If you engage in a positive way by maybe offering them the chance to help look after the place and have some sort of ownership, then you'll never need cctv or security as they would do that for you. I takes time to get the kids onside but when they do they can be a force of good.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
I've spoken to the youth bus team, they are going to go in and visit the young people tonight and Friday (if they are there). if i get any answers ill post into here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here