Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I went travelling after uni with no help from mummy or daddy (apart from letting me live in their house rent free over the summer before I went). I spent 3 months working at home and then 3 months working in Sydney to pay for the rest of the trip. If your prepared to go out a bit less and cut down your outgoings it's quite easy to save up the cash.

Of all the places I visited New Zealand is definitely number one, I would recommend spending at least a month there. Skydives, bungee jumps, rafting, glacier climbing, Zorbing and so much more...

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Judging by their smug attitudes, I get the impression many of the younger ones have rich mummies and daddies ("Here's £5,000 and a plane ticket Tarquin. Now f**k off to Australia and don't come back until you've learned how to be a human being.").

For me it involved working my SACK off doing 2 jobs and having no life for half a year

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
The first time I went I was lucky on my timing...

I recommend it to anyone.

Yup, that was exactly my thing, it was all down to timing.

I'd always wanted to go travelling, but had never had the money, nor the guts to quit a job and go. Then I was made made redundant and got dumped by my long-term girlfriend in the same week! My world fell apart, and then I thought 'hang on, this could actually be good' and I looked into the idea of travelling. I got a few thousand in redundancy money and the ex bought me out of the house we owned together, so I paid off all my debts and went for it. Saying that, I still returned a year later heavily in debt again :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the answer is to avoid Oz and NZ. Bungee jump and white water raft and all that expensive extreme stuff at home, where you're covered by the NHS, then just travel around Asia where the culture shock is genuine and living is dead cheap. Then do Oz and NZ later, when you're not on a budget.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Did it a million years ago,when I was young.

Around the world in 3 .5 years.

Do it .Enjoy it. And follow the Albion from afar for a while.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
See I make that budget 6k (50 quid per day * 4 months)! I could personally never have raised that sort of money in 3 months work, or even 6 months really - let alone when paying for living on top of it!

Not a dig, just incredibly jealous! Spose its something you gotta do before you get too stuck into rent/bills etc...

Yea it was roughly 6k I lost track a bit of exactly what I took but I came back with about 1200 on my credit card as well so roughly 1200 over budget. Worked when I got back to pay that off. Like you say its difficult with bills and stuff, I was living at home rent free which is a big bonus. It's fair to say I hardly ever went out when saving up as well but was well worth it.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Anyone been?

Didn't get on my course of choice for uni so I'm thinking of spending the year seeing the world instead.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on good places to visit, money saving etc.

Thanks!

Theres probably a good reason you didn't get on so instead of travelling I'd go about picking up any extra credits that will aid you next time you apply.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I spent about 7k going round South Africa, Oz and New Zealand for 6 months. Best experience ever. Lived at home for 2 years after college, on a 15k a year job. Saved about £400-500 most months and Bobs' your father's brother. Definitely worth every penny. South Africa is gorgeous, Oz amazing and people are so friendly. New Zealand, just spectactular!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here