Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling/working abroad

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I did a 5 month stint with eurocamp 9 years ago that was great fun. I did Croatia first and then Venezia. It was naff pay 120 Euro's a week but it was worth it.

I'd have loved to have done that in my youth. We stayed at Union Lido in Venice few years back. The couriers were right miserable cnts. But then the lot at the one in Lindau and Dol De Bretagne were great

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
im looking to go travelling, and work abroad for 6months/a year and need some inspiration! Which areas of the world have you been travelling in? and did you work whilst on your travels?

Any tips? ideas?

What kind of work would you be interested in doing? What experience/skills do you have? Would you want short-term casual work to top up your travel fund or would you want to settle in one place for several months?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
South America. Fantastic continent, has everything.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This, went to India last year for the first time. Amazing

Amazing? Yes?

Shithole? Yes

Not a great place to go first if you haven't really travelled before I think. A lot of people come away hating it.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Amazing? Yes?

Shithole? Yes

Not a great place to go first if you haven't really travelled before I think. A lot of people come away hating it.

Yes, some part's are a shithole, but that's what make's it such an interesting place. Goa is one of the most beautiful places you will ever see. Hot, Cheap, amazing food, Good people.... What more could you want. Would reccomend Thailand too. Pattaya if you are Single, Krabi if your not :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, some part's are a shithole, but that's what make's it such an interesting place. Goa is one of the most beautiful places you will ever see. Hot, Cheap, amazing food, Good people.... What more could you want. Would reccomend Thailand too. Pattaya if you are Single, Krabi if your not :)

Really? I thought Goa was a bit of a dump. I was there out of season though. Thailand is OK but full of old British paedo's and gap-year students. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are so much nicer than Thailand. Depends on what you are looking for I suppose.

Windels

Jan 15, 2011
Tunbridge Wells
I recently got back from spending 9 months out of the country and had an amazing time. We didn't work, but most who do work abroad are teachers, teaching English as a foreign language. I think if you were to get a simple TEFL qualification this should be enough for anyone not looking to teach as a career. In terms of countries to go to, my favourites were the Philippines and Nepal. The whole Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam thing was fun as well, but it was incredibly touristy. As mentioned before Thailand is full of paedos and backpackers, which works out as a really annoying combination. As a result, you have to go well out of your way to really explore the country away from the beaten track. I also loved India, we spent 2 months there and it is an incredible country. Kerala/Goa is a bit tacky and shitty and full of Russians in places, but if you head up north to Varanasi etc then it's really nice. Good luck with your planning.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
A friend of mine was a Lama farmer in Brazil and loved it! Missus was a teacher in Thailand for two years also loved it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I recently got back from spending 9 months out of the country and had an amazing time. We didn't work, but most who do work abroad are teachers, teaching English as a foreign language. I think if you were to get a simple TEFL qualification this should be enough for anyone not looking to teach as a career. In terms of countries to go to, my favourites were the Philippines and Nepal. The whole Thailand/Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam thing was fun as well, but it was incredibly touristy. As mentioned before Thailand is full of paedos and backpackers, which works out as a really annoying combination. As a result, you have to go well out of your way to really explore the country away from the beaten track. I also loved India, we spent 2 months there and it is an incredible country. Kerala/Goa is a bit tacky and shitty and full of Russians in places, but if you head up north to Varanasi etc then it's really nice. Good luck with your planning.

Would love to go to Nepal. Definitely on the list.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
As a result, you have to go well out of your way to really explore the country away from the beaten track.

Very true, I ended up spending time in Pai. Lovely place just don't drink to much the night before the bus there!

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
Very true, I ended up spending time in Pai. Lovely place just don't drink to much the night before the bus there!

That bus is hell!

Thailand is unreal though, Kanchanaburi is one of my favourite places.

Thailand, Cambodia and Laos are great places to travel but not worth working there (unless teaching). Australia is the obvious and popular place to go, the east coast is made for travellers and easy enough to get work.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Australia is the obvious and popular place to go, the east coast is made for travellers and easy enough to get work.

It's also ultra touristy, expensive, full of twats and has zero in the way of culture. And considering how big it is, it doesn't really have that much to offer. Nice beaches, one or two nice cities, the Great Barrier Reef (superb, admittedly), a big rock in the middle and a load of desert. Considering it's roughly the same size of Europe, I don't think that is that impressive.

Australia = most over-rated country in the world.

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
It's also ultra touristy, expensive, full of twats and has zero in the way of culture. And considering how big it is, it doesn't really have that much to offer. Nice beaches, one or two nice cities, the Great Barrier Reef (superb, admittedly), a big rock in the middle and a load of desert. Considering it's roughly the same size of Europe, I don't think that is that impressive.

Australia = most over-rated country in the world.

Very true, but it does offer a chance to earn pretty decent money unlike alot of the other places suggested. Places like Fraser Island & Whitsunday Islands are pretty impressive to be fair.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Very true, but it does offer a chance to earn pretty decent money unlike alot of the other places suggested. Places like Fraser Island & Whitsunday Islands are pretty impressive to be fair.

Fraser Island is spectacular. Couldn't recommend it enough. Did some fantastic hikes around Kings Canyon and Uluru too. Had an amazing NYE in Sydney. Loved Melbourne. Kakadu was out of this world.

Agree the size and time needed to travel across it is vast but would say it's definitely worth a tripn to anyone who asked.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I think that's it though, it is very easy, it is basically England with sun, that's why it is so popular.

Fraser Island is spectacular. Couldn't recommend it enough. Did some fantastic hikes around Kings Canyon and Uluru too. Had an amazing NYE in Sydney. Loved Melbourne. Kakadu was out of this world.

Agree the size and time needed to travel across it is vast but would say it's definitely worth a tripn to anyone who asked.

Yeah it's worth a trip, but my point is that there are places that are more spectacular and diverse than Australia, which are both cheaper and closer. Maybe not as easy to find work in, but again, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a proper adventure, don't go to Australia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here