Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling to Orient ? Avoid Victoria at all costs !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Forgot to mention this last week but Victoria tube is undergoing some major rebuilding work which stated today. It'll be chaos as it's bad enough at the best of times but currently they reckon it'll take at least 15 minutes to get to the platform. Best bet if coming from Brighton is to get First Capital Connect to London Bridge (or change at East Croydon for same) then get the Northern Line to Bank (first stop) and then take the Central Line to Leyton.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;3941875 said:
I don't get how it takes a year to refurbish 3 escalators :shrug:

Not enough workers from the Eastern Block ?

deakers

Jul 15, 2008
Any problems coming back through Vic after the game? Or is the delay only getting on at Vic? I'm going up via London Bridge but back via Victoria

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I don't think you'll find it's going to be as bad as hyped. Maybe around the 'rush hours' but I think the advice is to keep as many that don't need to be using the station at 'rush hour' away from it to avoid any uneccesary commuter build up. I wouldn't be overly worried for an evening KO in London.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If connections work out, there is always the possibility of changing at East Croydon and getting a train to Balham.

I'd suggest that's a good route for coming down on a Saturday and stress free compared to London Bridge or Victoria. You either go a few minutes up to Clapham Junction, or down to East Croydon and change.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If connections work out, there is always the possibility of changing at East Croydon and getting a train to Balham.

I'd suggest that's a good route for coming down on a Saturday and stress free compared to London Bridge or Victoria. You either go a few minutes up to Clapham Junction, or down to East Croydon and change.

Changing at CJ is better - there are only two direct trains from EC an hour but lots from CJ. Another option is to change at CJ and get a train to Vauxhall and get on Vic Line there - that's what I do sometimes and works well.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

I wouldn't do that. There's a reasonable frequency of trains from EC to Balham but then there's a very tedious slog up to Bank which is best avoided. Tere's quite a few connections for London Bridge at EC which would be better. I would think that coming back after the game through Victoria will be okay although I would say from experince changing at Bank from Leyton for London Bridge will still be quicker than going on to Oxford Circus for Victoria.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is Leyton or Leytonstone the nearest to the ground ? I can never bloody remember.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ta.
Half day beckons tomorrow then. London Bridge, some grub at the Hornimans, then onward to the slums of Leyton. HUZZAH.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
travel in style - JUBILEE LINE from LDN BRidge to Stratford, one stop on to leyton. keep out of bank and victoria...

Best bet if coming from Brighton is to get First Capital Connect to London Bridge (or change at East Croydon for same) then get the Northern Line to Bank (first stop) and then take the Central Line to Leyton.

is my memory correct that you can just chuck a right out of LB walk across the river (using the bridge of course) and Bank is just down on the right (5 mins walk)?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
is my memory correct that you can just chuck a right out of LB walk across the river (using the bridge of course) and Bank is just down on the right (5 mins walk)?

You could but it's take you a fair bit more than 5 mins plus you'd still do a lot of walking at Bank. Factor is that at this time of year London Bridge is pretty draughty and right now it's a very cold draught, wouldn't bother if I was you.

PHCGull is right actually, London Bridge Jubilee Line to Stratford a much better bet, my mistake, I forgot :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here