Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling the WORLD - Advice needed please

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you go to Thailand make a point of going to Ang Tong national park, I believe it is the area that the film the Beach was set in. You can get there from Koh Phangan which is the next island on from Koh Samui, the islands are beautiful with amazing secluded sandy beaches. Whilst on the subject, try to avoid Koh Samui, unless you want to experience the Thai equivalent of Blackpool and all the worst excesses of tourism, although the dead monk is worth seeing, if only to check out his Elvis stylee sun-glasses.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Gully said:
If you go to Thailand make a point of going to Ang Tong national park, I believe it is the area that the film the Beach was set in. You can get there from Koh Phangan which is the next island on from Koh Samui, the islands are beautiful with amazing secluded sandy beaches. Whilst on the subject, try to avoid Koh Samui, unless you want to experience the Thai equivalent of Blackpool and all the worst excesses of tourism, although the dead monk is worth seeing, if only to check out his Elvis stylee sun-glasses.

The Beach was set around Ang Thong, but it wasn't filmed there. Most of the pretty scenes were filmed on Koh Phi Phi, and other beach scenes were filmed on Phuket.

"Khao San Road" was actually filmed in Krabi Town, while the exterior of the hotel in Bangkok (the interior was a studio) was really the On On Hotel in Phuket Town (a grade "A" shitehole, as mentioned on the "Worst Hotels" thread).

The waterfall scene, meanwhile, was shot miles away up in Khao Yai National Park - now that's a place that's well worth a visit.

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
In 2002 I did my first trip outside of Europe - went to Hong Kong and onto Japan. Hong Kong was amazing - my cousin was living there at the time, so showed me around. Great place.

Japan was also good, but it was more for the World Cup that I went. Would love to go back and see more of the country.
I was in Tokyo for the Eng-Sweden game, so had a few days there to potter about, then headed up to Sapporo on the northern island of Hokkaido (think that's how it's spelt!) for the Argentina game.
Great country.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
McShane79 said:
Japan was also good, but it was more for the World Cup that I went. Would love to go back and see more of the country.

Kyoto is a fabulous place - gives a real impression of what Japan "used to be like".

And Hiroshima - well... It may not look much from the outside, but the Peace Museum is somewhere everyone should be forcibly made to visit once in their lifetime.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Trufflehound said:

The waterfall scene, meanwhile, was shot miles away up in Khao Yai National Park - now that's a place that's well worth a visit.
Definately second that. It's about an hour or so rom Bangkok, and was the first place that felt like 'real' Thailand, as aposed to all touristey areas.

Theres a great little place that run trips there which I can look up if you want.

It was the first organised trip I did when I went there and by far the best. That is one thing i did find with Thailand, is a lot of the day trips are not very good. The ones I did from Kanacaburi (river Kwai) were horrendous, but theses guys were terrific, From accomation, to the food whole feel of the place. It was also the first time I ahd to use a 'squat toilet', although if your not familair with one of those. I'd hate to be the one who spoils the surprise.

tHERES ALSO A GREAT PLACE JUST OUT kANACHbURI(?? River Kwai Bridge) where you can go and see a Tiger sanutary. The guide books warn against it, as someone was killed a year or so ago, but hundred visit each day so unless you jump on a Tiger and starting kicking it, I think you'll be safe.

Believe me though, nothing like seeing an unchained, or unleaded full grown Tiger laying down inches in front of you. Gets the old pooper going.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here