Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travelling the WORLD - Advice needed please

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
After talking about it for the last 12 years, i have finally bitten the bullet, quit my job and now plan to leave England in around a month's time to see some of our planet. I'm thinking of going for 6 months although this may extend depending on what kind of time i'm having!

I would really appreciate all advice that anyone could give me. In particular:

- What countries should i definitely put on my list/ particular places you would recommend i visit.
- Where a good place to buy my round the world ticket would be - do i have to plan where i'm going to be at particular times as a travel agent told me today or can i just phone up slightly in advance so that i'm not tied down?
- What's the best way to select which hostels to stay in or should i worry about it when i get there?
- Can you recommed any useful books i should take with me?
- Any other tips or ideas that you would be able to give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Weezle :)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
you should of joined the rn a few years ago and done this for free
:p

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Goa's grand at Easter, a nice gentle introduction to India and your money will go a very long way indeed.

Last edited:

There are two sorts of World Travellers ...

... those who are seeking out the company of fellow backpackers; and

... those who would like to avoid them.

Which are you? If you're in the second group, I would probably advise you to give the South East Asia / Australia circuit a miss.

Try Siberia. Go by train. It is absolutely and completely hopeless as a holiday destination. But that's its attraction.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
What countries should i definitely put on my list/ particular places you would recommend i visit.

Peru is a fantastic country - obviously Cusco/Machu Picchu, but so much of the rest of the place as well. Nice and cheap, too. Mexico, too - the Yucatan's pretty cool, although the country as a whole can be a bit too Americanised.

- Where a good place to buy my round the world ticket would be

STA do a very reasonable RTW ticket, although I'm not sure how much this differs depending on being under/over 26.

- do i have to plan where i'm going to be at particular times as a travel agent told me today or can i just phone up slightly in advance so that i'm not tied down?
- What's the best way to select which hostels to stay in or should i worry about it when i get there?

Don't think there's a lot of point booking too far in advance - I normally secure accomodation about two nights before getting there, more if you know it's going to be busy, but's that normally ok. Off-season, you can generally wander around and find somewhere easily enough, but it can be a bit stressful. http://www.hostelworld.com/ is a great site - I prefer independent Hostels to Hostelling International ones, which are almost always overpriced and often staffed by tossers.

Rough Guide's books are the best I've come across; I find Lonely Planet rather unhelpful.

Last edited:

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
LB - I'm afraid i want to do the same backpacker trail as everyone else!

RT - Thank you very much. Both Mexico and Peru are on my list to see. Any more info you can give me on these countries would be greatfully received.

My thoughts currently are to do most of South America, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Re: Re: Travelling the WORLD - Advice needed please

Repugnant Toad said:

Rough Guide's books are the best I've come across; I find Lonely Planet rather unhelpful. [/B]

IMO the Footprint guides are the best.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Weezle said:

RT - Thank you very much. Both Mexico and Peru are on my list to see. Any more info you can give me on these countries would be greatfully received.

My thoughts currently are to do most of South America, Fiji, New Zealand, Australia and Thailand.

If you are going to do Thailand then you should also think about Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
- What countries should i definitely put on my list/ particular places you would recommend i visit.

Of the places I went to, on a similar-length trip, Thailand, Indonesia and Malaysia, especially islands but Bangkok and Kualar Lumpur were very enjoyable. Agree with Lord B's point that you won't be on your own, but there are nevertheless some great experiences to be had there.

- Where a good place to buy my round the world ticket would be - do i have to plan where i'm going to be at particular times as a travel agent told me today or can i just phone up slightly in advance so that i'm not tied down?

I bought mine at Aossa Travel in Brighton. I assume it's still going, very good service, really knew their stuff. Bought most flights in advance, all cheapest scheduled available, and changed them on the way round.

If you've got a decent book maybe worth booking the night of arrival - but once you've found your feet, particularly in the big cities, it's easy to get other places to stay.

Agree with earlier point that Rough Guides overall are better than Lonely Planet. LP used to be a bit snotty and only dealt with certain types of attraction. They couldn't get their heads round the fact that you might want to see the cricket/football stadium and a museum. Maybe they've improved.

You can't do everything in six months - but i most regret not going to South America - Peru, Ecuador, Brazil and Argentina.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Ecuador is a fantastic country.

They have the rainforest, the cloudforest, mountains, volcanoes and it is relatively cheap. They have a fantastic amount of wildlife and if you really want to push the boat out, you could go to the Galapagos islands, where Darwin compiled his evolutionary theory. Although that is particularly expensive and the money you spend in a week could last you for a whole two months in South America.

Ecuador has to be on the hitlist. Do it!

Plus Cuba is a fasicnating country if you fancy visiting that. It is worth going to before the Americans end their embargo.

Fiji is a must as well, as is Malawi. PM if you want recommendations of towns/places to visit if you decide that you want to go to these countries.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Weezle said:

I went to Lima, Arequipa, Cusco and the surrounding area in Peru; Mexico City, Merida, Cancun and Tulum in Mexico, most of the "major" cities in the US, and much of British Columbia and Alberta in Canada. Any help I can offer, feel free.

Kinkywhateverhe'scallednow has done the last three places on your list, I'm sure he'd share his wisdom.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
New Zealand is a must, Its twice the country Australia is in my view, and there is less of the 18-30s about it unlike the east coast of Australia which can get a bit much.

I would suggest Queens town in new zealand fantastic place and most of the thrill sports in the world.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You should ask Bennett Dean, the club photographer - he travelled the world sporadically for about ten years to avoid staying in a proper job too long. Particularly the far East, I think.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I've been around this great planet of ours twice. The big question is whether you want to go and see cultres and scenery/landmarks, or whether you plan on getting pissed in as many countries as possible. If its the latter I'm not going to be much help, other than advise its a waste of time, you may as well stay in England.

If its the former than it depends greatly on what you want. You can get a round the world ticket for around a grand, or just over. The best place to go I found was STA travel, theres one in North Street opposite Barclays Bank. The main problem with tickets like these is unless you're prepared to spend nearer two grand, then Afirca is normally a no no. That said I would recommend visiting Africa a month or so at a time, without the round the world bit.

That said a great place to start is Asia. It has many plus and minus points but for a safeish start Thailand would be the best place to go. The main pluses it has over other countries, it's never been occuiped by the Europeans, so they dont look at us like enimes, unlike other countries ie Korea and Vietnam. The locals are very friendly and theres plenty to see and do, although certain areas in Bangkok seem to be overrun with backpakers, but this is easily avoided if you want a quieter life. Malayisa is pretty pointless this time of year, as its out of season, so for Asia I'd stick with Thailand. Australia is obviously must visit. The greatest place on earth (after Africa) and if you still along the east coast, down to Melbourne up as far as Darwin, Carins, Darwin and Sydney you won't go far wrong. Not much point in the West coast unless you've got friends/family there, its a long way to go for one city (Perth), and theres nothing there you wont find elsewhere.

New Zealands good, but in my opinion overrated. It's worth seeing but dont believe all the hype. If you want mountains and scenery go to Iceland or Norway, it's a pleasant enough country but to me a bit of a let down after Australia. The next stop around the world would be USA, if you dont stop at the pacific islands like Fiji and the like. Again not somewhere to go out of the way to visit, again in my opinion far to touristey and not the safest places either. Thats one good thing about Thailand, Oz and New Zealand is there very safe, you dont feel tension as you do in somewhere like say Africa. But I did feel the tension in Fiji.
America is fine but expensive. You can find places to stay for $20 a night, but they seem to have an age limit of 30 and most backpakers I stay at, seems to be dives, although I was in Hollywood a fair while! I'd recommend taking an trip with a company like Trek America while your there. It's cheaper than finding your own way around, and come highkly recommended.

Other places well worth a visit include many African countries, and Canada. If you do go to the states, try and get a couple of days in at the Grand Canynon. You've gotta see it first hand to believe it. They say 95% or thereabout of Yanks dont ahve passports, and you can see why when you get there. Scenery and places to visit are inmense, the only draw back are the AMericans!!!! Never met a race so far up there own arses, and scared of there own shadows. That said though in all honesty most of them are fine. Great place to go if your a bit fat, as you suddenly feel like a skinny person over there!!

Other than that there are numerous european countries to visit, although not really worth it on a round the world trip.

The guide books most seem to carry are the Lonely planet ones, and I'd book a hotle for the first few days of your trip, but using the guide books and word of mouth, you'll easily find places to stay, although in some places, particually New Zealand, if your staying in backpackers hostels, its worth phoneing ahead a day or so in advance and booking a place, although I never had problems.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mr Burns said:
. If you do go to the states, try and get a couple of days in at the Grand Canynon. You've gotta see it first hand to believe it. They say 95% or thereabout of Yanks dont ahve passports, and you can see why when you get there. Scenery and places to visit are inmense, the only draw back are the AMericans!!!! Never met a race so far up there own arses, and scared of there own shadows. That said though in all honesty most of them are fine. Great place to go if your a bit fat, as you suddenly feel like a skinny person over there!!

id go along with that, did you go to portland?

Where ever you decide to go,buy any of the" Lonely Planet Travel Guides".First rate material written by the travellers who've been to the countries.Not these wanks who solicit the info second hand,like Fromners,(pure shyte)Lonely Planet has it all,airfares,visa info,places to stay from hostels to five-star hotels,dangers and annoyances,city maps,language(s),currency exchange,immunization.It's brimming with all you need to know.BUY THEM!

Safe Journey,don't forget the internet cafes so you can still follow the club and the members on this and other boards.

Fer f*** sakes,stay away from the middle east.

:albion:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
KinkyNormanBaker said:
id go along with that, did you go to portland?
No. I went ot Grand Canynon, Vegas, San Fransico , Monument valley as well as Hollywood (Shithole), amongst other places. So much seen, so much more to see!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here