Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel vouchers to the Amex

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does this mean that I can travel by train from Haywards Heath just by purchasing the voucher as I do now for free, but still a lot cheaper than a day return.

From what I understand Martin Perry saying, your travel voucher will cover that.
Sorry, Al. I don't understand what you're saying.

If books of Travel Vouchers are sold for £1 a voucher, each individual Travel Voucher has a monetary value (to both the user and the transport operator). Individual Travel Vouchers will need to be collected in at some point, if the transport operator is to achieve that value. If they aren't collected, then people will be able to re-use the same voucher over and over again. The only way this can work is by exchanging a Voucher for a ticket. My question was: where will this transaction happen?

The current Travel Vouchers have no monetary value. The operators are reimbursed a contractual sum for taking part in the scheme. Users merely show their vouchers when (or if) asked to do so. The voucher is specific to a particular date and has no value, once that date has passed. The new system will be different, since books of vouchers will be sold.

A return journey by train from Shoreham to Falmer and back is actually FOUR separate journeys (Shoreham - Brighton; Brighton - Falmer; Falmer - Brighton; Brighton - Shoreham). The four journeys will be covered by ONE voucher, we are told. I'd just like to know how this will work.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would you have to buy a ticket to Shoreham then break your journey and go to the ticket office and exchange your voucher for a through ticket Shoreham to Falmer.

The information posted by Ned, back in February, gave his understanding of what the Club were proposing:-

We went for our presentation this morning and asked lots of questions about the travel voucher.
It is £25 for 25 vouchers. Obviously this works out at £1 per voucher and they are valid within the previously set out region, but what we found out today is that the voucher is actually a discount voucher worth £3.
So if your return ticket to Falmer station is £5, then you will pay £2 + your voucher. Our return ticket from Newhaven is £3.10 so we will have to pay 10p on top. The day saver on the bus is £3.70 so you pay 70p.

Ned's example suggested that the voucher would be exchanged for a train ticket at the first railway station (Newhaven, in his case; Littlehampton in the example used earlier in this thread). That would work (at least from staffed stations operated by Southern). But Ned's example clearly indicates that money might have to change hands even at some stations that are WITHIN the travel zone. Newhaven is one; Shoreham would be another (where the adult off-peak day return fare to Falmer - bought on-line - is £3.90).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry, Al. I don't understand what you're saying.

If books of Travel Vouchers are sold for £1 a voucher, each individual Travel Voucher has a monetary value (to both the user and the transport operator). Individual Travel Vouchers will need to be collected in at some point, if the transport operator is to achieve that value. If they aren't collected, then people will be able to re-use the same voucher over and over again. The only way this can work is by exchanging a Voucher for a ticket. My question was: where will this transaction happen?

The current Travel Vouchers have no monetary value. The operators are reimbursed a contractual sum for taking part in the scheme. Users merely show their vouchers when (or if) asked to do so. The voucher is specific to a particular date and has no value, once that date has passed. The new system will be different, since books of vouchers will be sold.

A return journey by train from Shoreham to Falmer and back is actually FOUR separate journeys (Shoreham - Brighton; Brighton - Falmer; Falmer - Brighton; Brighton - Shoreham). The four journeys will be covered by ONE voucher, we are told. I'd just like to know how this will work.

As I see it, there are two main differences (for the fan) between the travel voucher system now and the system at Falmer. One, it isn't mandatory to have a voucher (i.e. it doesn't automatically come with your match ticket) and 2. if you do want to use it, it will cost you £1 per match, instead of being free. Apart from that - from what we've been told - there is no difference. (I'm talking about buses and trains here - I don't know about P&R).

Therefore, if you previously wanted to use your travel voucher for the four train journeys mentioned, you could do so (in the same way the Shoreham to Falmer is four journeys, it was four train and/or bus journeys for you from Lewes to Withdean).

I'm not sure what you mean by using the voucher 'over and over again'. Your two-part voucher (sorry, I'm assuming we're using a two-part travel voucher - it would be logical given that that's what we've been using for the past 12 years) would be one for the inward journey and one for the return journey - and I believe they could only be used within a given time-frame.

You appear to be asking what the administrative details of the deal thrashed out between the club and the travel companies are. I've no idea. However, what could be put into place is something very similar to what we have now. i.e. with the deal regarding the travel operators being reimbursed a contractual sum for taking part in the scheme, then something similar has been arranged for Falmer. The difference this time is that Brighton fans are being asked to contribute to the costs of this should they wish to use it.

As I said, I don't know the details of course, but for me it would be logical to make the system as close to the current system as possible, as that is what people are used to. That's what appears to be coming across.

Last edited:

You appear to be asking what the administrative details of the deal thrashed out between the club and the travel companies are. I've no idea. However, what could be put into place is something very similar to what we have now. i.e. with the deal regarding the travel operators being reimbursed a contractual sum for taking part in the scheme, then something similar has been arranged for Falmer.
There is a huge difference between a scheme which has involved just four transport operators (Southern, First Capital Connect, Brighton & Hove Buses and Stagecoach) and one that will involve very many more - including a load of small coach companies, some of whom will be chosen not by the Club but by a group of supporters or a pub landlord.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There is a huge difference between a scheme which has involved just four transport operators (Southern, First Capital Connect, Brighton & Hove Buses and Stagecoach) and one that will involve very many more - including a load of small coach companies, some of whom will be chosen not by the Club but by a group of supporters or a pub landlord.

If the club hasn't chosen these small coach companies, will the club's travel vouchers be valid for the 'group of supporters or a pub landlord'?

Doubt it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The information posted by Ned, back in February, gave his understanding of what the Club were proposing:-

Ned's example suggested that the voucher would be exchanged for a train ticket at the first railway station (Newhaven, in his case; Littlehampton in the example used earlier in this thread). That would work (at least from staffed stations operated by Southern). But Ned's example clearly indicates that money might have to change hands even at some stations that are WITHIN the travel zone. Newhaven is one; Shoreham would be another (where the adult off-peak day return fare to Falmer - bought on-line - is £3.90).

From what Martin Perry said on the Albion Roar, Ned's example is wrong.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
If the club hasn't chosen these small coach companies, will the club's travel vouchers be valid for the 'group of supporters or a pub landlord'?

Doubt it.

I am sure I have read on here that some coach/minibus whatever they were, had agreed to accept the vouchers in return for a £3 per match discount. Whether or not they have agreed a reimbursement from the club or not is maybe not known, or they may not have even thought that far.

I cannot see that the vouchers will be date specific as they will no longer be attached to a match ticket and would be harder to deal with if postponements happen so there will have to be a system in place to collect the vouchers to avoid re-use, maybe forced collection on arrival. Probably fairly easy by train but probably not by bus.

Surely the club must have sorted things out by now with under 9 weeks to go.

Doubt it.
If the Travel Vouchers aren't valid on coaches, we are being sold a pup. Supporters are being encouraged to organise coach travel from all over. Bookings have already been made. I'm sure that the people intending to use coaches are expecting that the Travel Voucher scheme will cut their costs.

The Club need to publicise the details of the scheme soon, otherwise - if you're right - there will be a lot of moaning.

... and, as a bus provider myself - based in Brighton - I can report that we have already been approached about hiring our vehicles to get to games. But I have heard nothing from the Club (or the intending bookers of the vehicles) about how the scheme will work.

Like Gazwag, I would have hoped that things would have been sorted by now.

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
There seems to be very little news on this.

Coming from Shoreham, until now I was undecided how I was going to travel to the Amex, however after doing a trial run on the train today with the kids (lucky enough to see the sign go up!) it took me just 26 minutes from Shoreham to Falmer and just 3 minutes more to be in the ground.

This is actually less time than it took me to drive from Shoreham, park at my mates flat (luckilly they lived at Mandalay Court on London road) and then walk to the ground.

So, the train it is for me. How long I have to wait for a train home might change my mind, but I doubt it, as I don't see many other options.

Anyhow, we are 1 adult and 2 kids. Younger kid may miss some evening games.

The train for 2 of us is £5.40 and £6.40 for the 3. Am I right in thinking that for £1, we can get £3 worth of travel?

If so, it would appear than I could buy 2 season long travel vouchers for £46 (2 x 23 games) and if just the 2 of us go, the fare is covered and if there are 3 of us, I just need to pay 40p to someone, somewhere?

Am I along the right tracks or am i deluded. Is there a link to something official of traveling?

Get a family & friends rail card, £26 a year and it saves you loads!!

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
If the Travel Vouchers aren't valid on coaches, we are being sold a pup. Supporters are being encouraged to organise coach travel from all over. Bookings have already been made. I'm sure that the people intending to use coaches are expecting that the Travel Voucher scheme will cut their costs.

The Club need to publicise the details of the scheme soon, otherwise - if you're right - there will be a lot of moaning.

That'll make a change on here then.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Surely the point is, away fans get a travel voucher with their ticket included in price, home fans it's up to us how we get there. As we won't be able to park at the ground, unless you can walk to stadium you,ll need a voucher for part of the journey.

Surely the point is, away fans get a travel voucher with their ticket included in price, home fans it's up to us how we get there. As we won't be able to park at the ground, unless you can walk to stadium you,ll need a voucher for part of the journey.

That's another thing that I'd not heard suggested before. Where did you get this information?

There will be some "on-site" parking and it seems from the Univ of Sussex website that football parking on campus will be restricted to STH's and hospitality ticket holders who have pre-booked. Assuming the Bennetts Field PA is approved as is - ie for hospitality attendees only and where pre-booking is similarly required - then that leaves about 1,400 spaces at the University, so about 4,500 fans.

Including a Travel Voucher in the ticket price will surely raise the VAT issue again as the travel part is zero rated and, like LB, I haven't heard of this before. Fans, away or home, could buy TV's at the P&Rs or on a transfer bus but the former has cash handling issues for the stewards and, if collected on P&R entry, will cause chaos. Mill Road already suffers from large numbers of non-football drivers who, like the pharmaceutical industry assumes when composing patient leaflets, have the reading comprehension of a nine year old. I think someone posted over the weekend that they'd met someone from the B&H Buses Management Team at a social event and who said that the P&R drivers would not be collecting any money.

Or even a Network Card. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong but with that you don't need to have a child in the party and could travel with 3 other grown up/fans (hopefully the same thing) and all get a discount.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or even a Network Card. I am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong but with that you don't need to have a child in the party and could travel with 3 other grown up/fans (hopefully the same thing) and all get a discount.

Network cards are f***ing pointless. There seems to only be a slither of a time window when I can actually use mine and then only if I spend over a certain amount of money or, I shit you not, the stations are far enough apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here