Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Vouchers - do they need a re-think?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
so far mine have onlly been collected once!

Seems to be more interested in getting people through Falmer station quickly than collecting them. if this is the case, then what is the point? They are not checked at brighton or Lewes. And they cost a bit (altho not as much as a usual train ticket!)

And uif they are not going to be checked, why do we need to buy them. Surelty they could be added electronically to the season ticket, or the paper tickets when bought.

Thoughts please

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had mine checked yesterday on the way to Brighton. First time ever

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes, I'm starting to wonder why I forked out £30 at the start of the season when I still have my original travel voucher in my wallet waiting for its first outing. They should be included in your ticket, my understanding is that they want to try and sell it as a top-up on your card but surely they aren't going to check that either so there would be no incentive to buy it.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I take the relevant game voucher in hope they might get taken or or even checked, at least on the way to the ground, but nope. Seems like a waste of £30 really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You'll never need it using the trains. The park and ride is another matter though. Personally, I can't help thinking they should remain part of the match ticket.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You'll never need it using the trains. The park and ride is another matter though. Personally, I can't help thinking they should remain part of the match ticket.
Agreed. Also having them as part of the ticket would be a useful plank in the transport strategy. The club could say "Look, to discourage driving we actually force everybody to buy a train/bus ticket to try and encourage them to use public transport."

There is the problem of people who walk/cycle to the ground being forced to pay for something they don't use (no matter how it's dressed up as being part of the price of the ticket) - but that was always a problem for those of us who walked to Withdean. No one gave a toss about us getting 'value' so I'm just reciprocating! :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

If they did put £30 on the ST, are they going to take £150 off our parking charge? I wonder.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can see a lot of people not buying these next season, and there being chaos on teh rare occasions that they are checked, or indeed insufficient buses being laid on because the club base the number of buses required on teh vouchers sold.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If they did put £30 on the ST, are they going to take £150 off our parking charge? I wonder.
I hope not. The whole idea would be to encourage use of public transport.

Even better if some sort of cashback could be added to the smartcard for cyclists and walkers, but obviously I'm not sure how they could implement that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Definately, I feel having forked out £90 for three lots its a bit of a scam when travelling by train to lewes and back when many do it for nothing.

All they need to do is add this to the season ticket price and give a discount to those who use the parking and the only people who will "lose out" will be those who make the way to the stadium on foot or by bike.

Edit: should have read the whole thread - already been suggested

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Agreed. Also having them as part of the ticket would be a useful plank in the transport strategy. The club could say "Look, to discourage driving we actually force everybody to buy a train/bus ticket to try and encourage them to use public transport."

There is the problem of people who walk/cycle to the ground being forced to pay for something they don't use (no matter how it's dressed up as being part of the price of the ticket) - but that was always a problem for those of us who walked to Withdean. No one gave a toss about us getting 'value' so I'm just reciprocating! :)

Could always have a non travel / ticket only option for tickets. easy to do now i would have thought with this snazzy e ticket mullarkey

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Had mine checked for every game so far. £1 a game beats having to pay £6 return.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The ST smartcard is multi-functional so the travel voucher element could be put on the card providing it is ITSO compatible. B&H Buses and Southern plan to integrate their smartcards by the middle of next year. I dont think sticking £30 on to all ST prices is the answer , it should be optional and more stringent checks made to eliminate "free" travel is essential for it to work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here