Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Terror

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
afters said:
there are loads and loads of police at every station and tube this morning, and a big fucker with a machine gun at brighton station.

it's because it's a thursday and they are nervy, i guess....
Indeed. Five police at Redhill, another 4 at Blackfriars. :ohmy:

Last night coming home was the first time felt freaked out by it all. I was standing in the carriage look at all the backpacks and got a bit spooked. :nono:

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
perhaps i am being a bit overboard with my concerns. i know that within time things will get back to normality. (unless another bomb goes off!!) but when you think how close you were to being involved in the incident it makes you think! i was late getting to work on the morning of 7/7 and was at Highbury and Islington when the 'powersurge' took place. To find out two hours later that a bomb exploded one stop up the line from you is very unnerving!

An indian friend of mine who is rather portly and fond of wearing dark baggy clothes now finds that instead of standing for the duration of his northern line journey, he gets a whole carraige to himself.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Having worked in London through the IRA bombs, and now the Terrorist attacks, I can say that whilst of course, I am naturally nervous about travelling to and within London, you cannot allow such criminal activities to run your life.

It makes sense to decide not to enter a certain tube train because you notice something strange, so you might wait for the next train, or catch a bus, or even walk, but your chances of getting caught up in such an atrocity is still remote, given the vastness of the network.

London will still be a vibrant city, long after the terrorists have gone, you can be sure of that.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
virgirlo said:
perhaps i am being a bit overboard with my concerns. i know that within time things will get back to normality. (unless another bomb goes off!!) but when you think how close you were to being involved in the incident it makes you think! i was late getting to work on the morning of 7/7 and was at Highbury and Islington when the 'powersurge' took place. To find out two hours later that a bomb exploded one stop up the line from you is very unnerving!

Shit. Glad you're ok :)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The people who travel on public transport in places like Israel are far more likely to suffer an attack, than we are, and have dealt with the far more substantial risk every day for years.
I can honestly say i have not behaved differently in any way in the last two three weeks of the commute.
I am far more likely to be killed by some twat looking for a fight, a drunk driver or a derailment caused by rail companies cutting costs than i am by a terrorist.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Just out of interest, is there any noticable reduction of the numbers of people using the undergrounds?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
munster monch said:
Just out of interest, is there any noticable reduction of the numbers of people using the undergrounds?

I'd say yes but it's difficult to know really as loads of lines are closed so there's fewer tubes

virgirlo

Jun 2, 2004
London
munster monch said:

well what with the school holidays beginning it is hard to say. but i can definitely say that the bus is taking longer as more people are using it compared to tubes, and less people are sitting on the top deck of buses.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Yeah, I am not going to let bombs stop me getting about and as Albion Dan and ELS said, I am just going to be more wary and slightly nervous of traveling by rail or tube to Albion games. There is more chance of getting killed by driving a motorbike.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I haven't noticed much difference in the tubes, but I don't use them every day. The train up from Brighton this morning seemed half empty though, not sure why, maybe people are taking sickies on a Thursday now !

Isn't there about 3 billion bus journeys a year.

Personally I have just got on with it and being in Hackney I have faced the odd bomb scare or two. As I said on another post catching the 254 through south Hackney, Bethnal Green, Whitechaple to Aldgate and return hit home and it did a minor tour of east london related bomb incidents.

But I have to say the atmoshpere on the buses didn't seem to be any different than usual.

LC

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
NottingHillGate.jpg

this made me giggle.. it shows British resiliance.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here