Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Insurance

D

Deleted User X18H

I know that most of these added benefits bank accounts aren't much cop, and I know everyone is bored about hearing how good the Co-op bank is, but I've got a Privilege Premier current account that costs me £13 a month.

In return I get a free UK and European car breakdown service (used twice already, and just as good as the AA); free family worldwide travel insurance; free mobile phone insurance for whole family; free insurance for other portable gadgets like laptops; and discounts off other products like 20% of home insurance. Good value I reckon.

And the Excess?

D

Deleted User X18H

How lucky do you feel? Personally I would buy at least a bog standard cheap travel insurance, if only for the health care and repatriation costs. If you need an air ambulance and are not insured, you will probably have to sell the car and your house to pay the cost. You can get annual policies for less than £50. The only time I travelled without any, the airline lost my luggage.

With an Excess of around £250 to £400 each and every claim.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Always used Direct,
but found Top Notch Cover
Far cheaper and rated equal-best by consumer organisations.

'Silver' policy gives 12 months cover £53 for a family of 4 including winter sports holidays.

Last edited:

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
With travel insurance, you very often get what you pay for so read up, don't just go for the cheapest option. Look at the policy documentation online wherever possible before buying. If it's not available before you don't buy then use caution, they will likely exclude a lot of things. Also, bear in mind whether you have cover for a separate flight and accommodation package. A lot of travel insurance is only designed to cover package holidays and won't pay back the full cost of both if one or the other causes you to cancel or curtail your trip. EHIC doesn't cover everything (no dental treatment, and you pay for your own medication in a number of countries for example) and it certainly won't cover repatriation, loss or theft of belongings or the cost of getting to the embassy to get a replacement passport.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Read all the small print carefully. And crucially you must declare any pre existing conditions. My wife has worked in insurance for years and has many tales of expensive woe where they curiously forgot to mention the dodgy heart.

D

Deleted User X18H

On the travel insurance mostly Nil, or £50 on things like Ski Equipment, claims for lost cash or Medical expenses/repatriation.
Wow no excess on Cancellation, Curtailment or personal belongings is very very good.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Top Notch Cover was examined in detail by Which? and matched the rip-off policies of others on terms, at a fraction of the premium.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Say you were involved in a car accident and seriously injured.

The EHIC would enable you to receive treatment but it won't get you home. It costs thousands to fly a dead body back even from France, and it'd be more to fly someone home who was receiving critical care.

Thats cheerful:lolol: Have a good time and dont worry too much about the car crash thing. :bigwave:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Say you were involved in a car accident and seriously injured.

It costs thousands to fly a dead body back even from France, and it'd be more to fly someone home who was receiving critical care.

Sounds like a job for Harty and his drivers and hearse if that happened:lol:

Seriously after having read the advice given on here and checked the prices etc it would be silly not to take out Travel Insurance, for what it costs.

henrywilliams

Sep 23, 2011
well I cant say which one to select but you should not take any risk as you are with your family so you should make your own efforts to search fro an travel insurance plan.

peacigray

Banned
Feb 23, 2012
Travelling is best way to get relax and refresh. Many people like to take travel insurance. Its very beneficial during travelling as well as Its best safety in any time and any where. Due to travelling we get lots of knowledge and information.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Travelling is best way to get relax and refresh. Many people like to take travel insurance. Its very beneficial during travelling as well as Its best safety in any time and any where. Due to travelling we get lots of knowledge and information.

Good points, randomly made :lol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A chap I know having met him fairly recently, works for a travel insurance company and he was telling me how they are under instructions to try to find a reason not to pay out. He gave me 2 examples of recent happenings:

1. A chap fell on a spiked fence in Spain and was in hospital for some considerable time and then was going to be transferred back to England via air ambulance but due to having consumed alcohol that made the claim invalid. The company offered to bring him back at a cost of £20k yes twenty thousand pound from Spain.
2. A elderly man had a stroke while on holiday and because he hadn't stated all of the medication that he was taking, having missed a couple of tablets, again this made his claim invalid.

His advice was to disclose all ailments and medicines and avoid claims where alcohol can be a factor. I suggested that under the Data Protection Act he shouldn't have access to that much information and his doctors shouldn't disclose such details but he said that in Europe the Data Protection is not in force or if there is one it is not enforced very often so they contact the doctors and hospitals abroad rather than in this country.

With people booking holidays this is very worth considering and taking into account.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here