Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel Insurance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are driving to Portugal for the friendlies via France Spain Portugal. We were originally taking our trailer tent but have changed that to hotel as that is cheaper than the cam[ sites. We are extending the drive down but driving straight back. We all have E111 and my wife says that we should also have travel insurance but I think the E111 will cover us. What do the brains of NSC think.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We are driving to Portugal for the friendlies via France Spain Portugal. We were originally taking our trailer tent but have changed that to hotel as that is cheaper than the cam[ sites. We are extending the drive down but driving straight back. We all have E111 and my wife says that we should also have travel insurance but I think the E111 will cover us. What do the brains of NSC think.

Always good to get some insurance, try Direct travel insurance, it'll probably be less than a tenner.

Travel Insurance | Holiday Insurance | Direct Travel Insurance

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
E111 is Health Insurance rather than Travel Insurance shirley? Two completely different things. Travel Insurance covers your travel arrangements and any complications arising from it.

Do you have a bank account that you pay in the region of ten pounds a month for? Look at the small print, it probably includes Travel Insurance as one of the benefits? Else shop around online for Travel Insurance. For a week or two in Europe it'll only cost a few quid, £20 maybe? The Post Office does cheap insurance for example.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
THPP is correct all the allows you is access to free healthcare under EU law.

Get insured, surely you need to insure the car for driving abroad therefore ask them to add on travel insurance ?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's only gambling. What's the worse that could happen to a man of your age. The E111 will take care of the medical side, breakdown cover will look after the car. As long as your misses can drive, that will take care of the non admission illnesses for the transport home.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's only gambling. What's the worse that could happen to a man of your age. The E111 will take care of the medical side, breakdown cover will look after the car. As long as your misses can drive, that will take care of the non admission illnesses for the transport home.

Unless the French go on strike and you can't get home as quickly as you'd like. Unlikely, I know...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
THPP is correct all the allows you is access to free healthcare under EU law.

Get insured, surely you need to insure the car for driving abroad therefore ask them to add on travel insurance ?

It's not necessarily free. You pay what the locals pay, if they pay.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Unless the French go on strike and you can't get home. Unlikely, I know...

Will he have to go for the Military Medivac option in that case, because not even an insurance policy will get you out of country in that case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have checked the car insurance and it is covered for up to 93 days in Europe. The breakdown is covered by the RAC it is really the medical side of things. I thought the E 111 gave us the equivalent of our NHS when in Europe even to the extent of something like at the worst a serious illness or accident.

The E111 only covers aspects of health insce and only to the level of the country you are in. Some EU countries, for example, require a financial contribution to treatments and/or medicines. Normal travel insce is necessary to cover health aspects not covered or limited under the E111. You would also need to consider usual insce for loss, theft, etc, as well as checking your level of motor cover with your existing policy issuer and consider whether you need vehicle breakdown insce.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Do you have a bank account that you pay in the region of ten pounds a month for? Look at the small print, it probably includes Travel Insurance as one of the benefits?

THIS. You MUST have travel insurance just in case.
I travel extensively and the cover that I get from my bank as part of my account is as good as any that is on offer plus there are other benefits. If you don't pay for your account it might be worth talking to your bank because if you travel more than twice a year it will possibly pay for itself anyway and you spread the cost over the year

PS - Don't know about Portugal but my wife was ill in Spain a couple of years ago and in hospital you have to pay for medicines separately and for meals which I claimed back on the insurance - silly stuff you wouldn't think about at home

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Say you were involved in a car accident and seriously injured.

The EHIC would enable you to receive treatment but it won't get you home. It costs thousands to fly a dead body back even from France, and it'd be more to fly someone home who was receiving critical care.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
We have checked the car insurance and it is covered for up to 93 days in Europe. The breakdown is covered by the RAC it is really the medical side of things. I thought the E 111 gave us the equivalent of our NHS when in Europe even to the extent of something like at the worst a serious illness or accident.

Doesn't give you the equivalent of the NHS - it gives you equivalent cover to someone who is resident there and up to date with social insurance etc. In Ireland it gives you the equivalent of a medical card so everything is free bar a 50c per item prescription charge; but in some countries it still leaves you having to pay a fair bit.

HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - Healthcare services in other EU / EEA countries
gives you a decent idea what you get where. Look at how 'well' Greece is represented for instance!

D

Deleted User X18H

Indeed EHIC is the new smoo. You MUST always take Travel Insurance. EHIC is a reciprocal arrangement between European countries. You may be offered basic medical treatment. However you will not be covered for repatriation if it becomes necessary. Nor will you be covered for any additional drugs you may require, if you or your wife becomes injured.
However no Travel Insurance Policy will cover you against this Ash Cloud. It cannot be classed as cancellation, missed departure or abandonment. It is an act of nature and almost certain to be an exclusion on most polices.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It says on the back of my European Health Insurance Card.

Keep your EHIC safe with your Passport
Make sure you have valid travel insurance
It may be quicker to claim a refund of medical expenses while you are still abroad.
Visit DH home : Department of Health travellers to find out what you may be charged for and how to claim.

I was just thinking, all these cards I have in my back pocket, EHIC, Pacemaker card, Driving license, Debit and credit card, 4 Store points cards plus folding money. If ever I caught fire, there would be a big ball of melted plastic stuck to me bum. :lol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How lucky do you feel? Personally I would buy at least a bog standard cheap travel insurance, if only for the health care and repatriation costs. If you need an air ambulance and are not insured, you will probably have to sell the car and your house to pay the cost. You can get annual policies for less than £50. The only time I travelled without any, the airline lost my luggage.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Introduction.aspx

About the EHIC

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge.
Everyone who is resident in the UK should have one and carry it with them when travelling abroad. Remember to check your EHIC is still valid before you travel. Applying for the card is free and it's valid for up to five years.
Presenting the EHIC entitles you to treatment that may become necessary during your trip, but doesn't allow you to go abroad specifically to receive medical care. However, maternity care, renal dialysis and managing the symptoms of pre-existing or chronic conditions that arise while abroad are all covered by the EHIC.
Your EHIC will allow you access to the same state-provided healthcare as a resident of the country you are visiting. However, many countries expect the patient to pay towards their treatment, and even with an EHIC, you might be expected to do the same. You may be able to seek reimbursement for this cost when you are back in the UK if you are not able to do so in the other country.
Tip_C.jpg
The EHIC is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or the cost of things such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, repatriation to the UK or lost or stolen property.
For these reasons and others, it is important to have both an EHIC and a valid private travel insurance policy. Some insurers now insist you hold an EHIC and many will waive the excess if you have one.
Applying for an EHIC is easy. Even if you don't have any plans to travel in the near future, it is always a good idea to get one.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I know that most of these added benefits bank accounts aren't much cop, and I know everyone is bored about hearing how good the Co-op bank is, but I've got a Privilege Premier current account that costs me £13 a month.

In return I get a free UK and European car breakdown service (used twice already, and just as good as the AA); free family worldwide travel insurance; free mobile phone insurance for whole family; free insurance for other portable gadgets like laptops; and discounts off other products like 20% of home insurance. Good value I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here