Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer window should shut before season starts

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You renew your season ticket back in May, the new season starts and you get your children their Albion top with their favourite players name on it. Then what happens 4 games into the season the player moves on. The team photo has been done and again on saturday morning you will look at it, how many faces will have left and how many new players will be missing. Is it that hard for the FL to shut the window a week before the season starts. at least the children may get half a season with an albion shirt with a current players name on it. I would like to know how many other people got a shirt with Noone on the back.

Why does it matter that Noone's moved and his name is still on the back of kids' shirts? He might be gone, but he was still a great servant to the club in the relatively short time he was with us. I can sort of understand if it was an acrimonious split, between club and player, but the cheeky scouse chappy seemed to love his time down here.

Having said that I've never really got the whole players' name on the back of the shirt thing - far too much risk involved, which, in fairness, you should have been aware of. And the same risk is involved if their career is ended by injury, which is obviously nothing to do with the window.

The other argument to your point is that, given the shirts come out more than one week before the season starts, i.e. before your suggested window shuts, the chances are they will have the name on there before the season anyway, so it just shifts the problem back a couple of months.

The solution to all of this? Take advantage of the club's next BOGOF event, and get either 1) two different names on each shirt, or 2) a blank shirt.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Again, what is wrong in asking the question.

nothing wrong with asking a question at all buddy, and its a bit of banter

just because I would renew my season ticket no matter what, doesnt mean if a certain player or 2 leaving or someone coming in doesnt blow your whistle then its up to you whether you go etc. I simply asked if you pay by DD, that way you wouldnt lose that much money opposed to paying in full and trying to get money back. Also, I thought I was being very friendly, as it I ASSUME you have kids, making you aware of an offer at Tesco that may benefit you.

But I stand by my names on shirt point

much love Stevey Weavey

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Cheers. That doesn't sound like a sensible reason to me. There must be a reason why UEFA wanted it rolled out across the continent...

I imagine the discussion went something like:

UEFA Official 1: Jesus will these Zamora and Owen rumours never stop? These people are f***ing morons!

UEFA Official 2: If we implemented a transfer window system, at least this garbage would only be restricted to a couple of times a year. Let's have a vote.

UEFA Official 3: Unanimously carried.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Can someone remind me what the point is of having a transfer window at all? Why did it change from the days when you deal whenever you wanted?

Because the Top Clubs like Man City and Chelsea are now so much richer than anyone else that they can 'stockpile' talented players away from their rivals, such as Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham, throughout the season to enhance their league position. Not directly buying their rivals players, but gazumping their offers for any good talent in the lower leagues.

It also encouraged clubs to dig into their Chairmans pocket, rather than funding such deals more sustainably, through normal revenue streams. Hence Clubs with rich owners cherry-picked all the good players.

The whole point of a transfer window is that you can't do this just to secure the title towards the end of the season - you have to buy what you can afford at the start, and work with it.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What I find bloody ridiculous about it is the pre season training with what you have only to lose some of them, the squad from four weeks previous that are firmly part of plans suddenly aren't and new players drafted in then have to learn the way of the new club, so it can be almost like going back to step one of pre-season training/friendlies and starting all over again.

Hardly, it's not as if we're buying 1st year apprentices, we're buying experienced players with pre-seasons already under their belt - they should be able to slot in to any team set-up, just as they'd be expected to if they were called up for international duty.

And it helps the managers because they know that the bulk of the season WON'T be taken up trying to stop their best talent leaving for the big megabucks offer, or if someone throws a Tevez style hissy fit, they can be told to grow-up and get on with their job or sit in the stands. Most honest pro's would want to be in the managers mind for 1st team selection, so will take the dressing-down.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because the Top Clubs like Man City and Chelsea are now so much richer than anyone else that they can 'stockpile' talented players away from their rivals, such as Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham, throughout the season to enhance their league position. Not directly buying their rivals players, but gazumping their offers for any good talent in the lower leagues.

It also encouraged clubs to dig into their Chairmans pocket, rather than funding such deals more sustainably, through normal revenue streams. Hence Clubs with rich owners cherry-picked all the good players.

The whole point of a transfer window is that you can't do this just to secure the title towards the end of the season - you have to buy what you can afford at the start, and work with it.
Ah thanks. It doesn't seem to be working very well does it? All that happens is that the mega rich clubs just buy everybody at the start of the season, and then loan their unwanted players on Championship clubs for as much of the wage bill as they can offload.

D

Deleted member 18477

Why not buy the shirt before the window shuts and get it printed after the window shuts. You know the window is there, it's not going to move. It's up to you to behave like an adult and be prepared.

This. It's hard for some people to understand so it seems, the window will NOT move! So adapt!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Ah thanks. It doesn't seem to be working very well does it? All that happens is that the mega rich clubs just buy everybody at the start of the season, and then loan their unwanted players on Championship clubs for as much of the wage bill as they can offload.

They're NOT buying everybody, only the very best players. The point is though that they're not taking the RvP's of the world right in the middle of the season when Arsenal fans would have thrown a wobbly, and would have blighted Arsenal from any chance of success, they've bought him at a time when Arsenal have an opportunity to find a replacement before their season goes up the swanee. There's also no gaurentee that they will be able to loan their unwanted players out - I doubt we're paying all of Bridges wages, and if it means we don't have to pay a transfer fee for a player in the evening of his career, then we have more funds to spend on our own transfer targets.

I think it is working, it's effectively getting the Mega-rich clubs to 'subsidise' the playing budget of lower league teams.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Surely you are cooler if you have a shirt with a players name who has left us on the back because it makes you vintage and retro.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Here's a more radical solution... use similar rules as Champions League... once a player has played in a given tournament or league, then they can't play for another club, in the same competition, during the same season.

The transfer window becomes self-policing then, because only in exceptional circumstances would a club buy a player after the season starts because they are unlikely to be able to use them much.

Perhaps, to make slightly more manageable, split the season in half and apply rule separately for each half.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
As far as 'big' clubs buying up all the talent, didn't Liverpool try that last year with Andy Carroll, who's now going out on loan and they'll be lucky to get back HALF of what they paid for him.

Great business minds up at Anfield obviously. I know I'll buy something for £ 35 M and then a year later I'll sell it for £ 17.5 M, but I won't recieve all that money straightaway, I might get it 8 months after letting him go (assuming that West Ham don't go tits-up in the meantime, they've got something of a track record for that kind of thing you scouse wannabees).

Meanwhile we got Gonzalez and Vokes last january on loan, and thank f*** we didn't splash out any money for them because both proved not much better than a chocolate teapot at the end of the day.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Because then they wont have a shirt with the wrong name on?
Bet you had a smug look on your face when you wrote this,

Quite simple really.
Hindsight would a lovely thing to have, they needed you in the government. maybe the country would not have got into so much debt

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here