Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer window should shut before season starts

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
You renew your season ticket back in May, the new season starts and you get your children their Albion top with their favourite players name on it. Then what happens 4 games into the season the player moves on. The team photo has been done and again on saturday morning you will look at it, how many faces will have left and how many new players will be missing. Is it that hard for the FL to shut the window a week before the season starts. at least the children may get half a season with an albion shirt with a current players name on it. I would like to know how many other people got a shirt with Noone on the back.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I really can't understand why anyone in football would want the window to shut just after the start of the season. It must be hugely disruptive to managers having to spend so much time on the phone etc instead of working with players. Surely most managers would want to know that they have the players to work with for more than 4 games before they're off!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can someone remind me what the point is of having a transfer window at all? Why did it change from the days when you deal whenever you wanted?

Mr Terrific

Aug 17, 2012
Can someone remind me what the point is of having a transfer window at all? Why did it change from the days when you deal whenever you wanted?

Cos UEFA said so, as far as I can remember. Serie A had one back in the late 80s/early 90s, other European countries started adopting it and then UEFA said that it should be standardised across Europe.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cos UEFA said so, as far as I can remember. Serie A had one back in the late 80s/early 90s, other European countries started adopting it and then UEFA said that it should be standardised across Europe.

Cheers. That doesn't sound like a sensible reason to me. There must be a reason why UEFA wanted it rolled out across the continent...

Mr Terrific

Aug 17, 2012
Cheers. That doesn't sound like a sensible reason to me. There must be a reason why UEFA wanted it rolled out across the continent...

I'm sure there was reasoning behind it, I just remember it as being something that was forced on English football without anyone here really wanting it.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It's the risk u take Shirley, can't see what buying a season ticket has to do with who comes and goes myself.

Fans spend a lot of money on their clubs, therefore everything comes into it. You may be happy to spend money and not always get what you pay for. football is a business and should give better customer service. if they sell a shirt at the start of the season with a players name on the back, insure it until the transfer window shuts. adults can take dissapointment, it takes children a lot longer to get over it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Fans spend a lot of money on their clubs, therefore everything comes into it. You may be happy to spend money and not always get what you pay for. football is a business and should give better customer service. if they sell a shirt at the start of the season with a players name on the back, insure it until the transfer window shuts. adults can take dissapointment, it takes children a lot longer to get over it.

Why not buy the shirt before the window shuts and get it printed after the window shuts. You know the window is there, it's not going to move. It's up to you to behave like an adult and be prepared.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally, I'm happy with the windows as they are. I remember the 'good ole days' when players could move whenever a big club came in for them right up until the end of March. There would be endless speculation in the papers, no doubt fed by agents hoping for a nice percentage which would go on for months. The current system mirrors virtually the whole of Europe. If we changed it, European clubs could nick our players between the start of the season and the end of August and the only ones you could replace them with are out of contract players! What if, come February, we are in with a shout for promotion but a club near the foot of the Prem decides to gamble and splash out massively to save their status and offer a couple of a our stars large salaries to jump ship. We get shafted.

I also agree about the shirts, don't put players names on them!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What I find bloody ridiculous about it is the pre season training with what you have only to lose some of them, the squad from four weeks previous that are firmly part of plans suddenly aren't and new players drafted in then have to learn the way of the new club, so it can be almost like going back to step one of pre-season training/friendlies and starting all over again.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Why not buy the shirt before the window shuts and get it printed after the window shuts. You know the window is there, it's not going to move. It's up to you to behave like an adult and be prepared.

Children do not want to wait and why should they. Is it really unreasonable to suggest the window shuts before the season starts.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting

Want some tissues to wipe your nose and dry your eyes? Also Tesco have a baby event on atm. Do you pay Monthly DD? If so why not just cancel?

100% agree - why not get your kids a shirt with their name on, unless you are thinking of moving them out before the transfer window closes. Also, surely you support your club no matter what, not based on for example if Vicente stayed or not.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Personally, I'm happy with the windows as they are. I remember the 'good ole days' when players could move whenever a big club came in for them right up until the end of March. There would be endless speculation in the papers, no doubt fed by agents hoping for a nice percentage which would go on for months. The current system mirrors virtually the whole of Europe. If we changed it, European clubs could nick our players between the start of the season and the end of August and the only ones you could replace them with are out of contract players! What if, come February, we are in with a shout for promotion but a club near the foot of the Prem decides to gamble and splash out massively to save their status and offer a couple of a our stars large salaries to jump ship. We get shafted.

I also agree about the shirts, don't put players names on them!

There is a transfer window after christmas, so a club at the bottom of the prem could do that anyway. Again the question is why can they not shut the window a few weeks before the season and that includes Europe as well. it can open at the end of the season and shut before the start. Your arguement does not work. clubs are already into the season and cup games, and those clubs are panicking and going for players.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Want some tissues to wipe your nose and dry your eyes? Also Tesco have a baby event on atm. Do you pay Monthly DD? If so why not just cancel?

Just because someone has opinion they you do not agree with, does not mean you have to try and put people down.Try and arue a point, instead of playground put downs.

100% agree - why not get your kids a shirt with their name on, unless you are thinking of moving them out before the transfer window closes. Also, surely you support your club no matter what, not based on for example if Vicente stayed or not.

Again, what is wrong in asking the question.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If you really were bothered by it, send Noone a tweet, I am sure he would personally refund it, he seems like that kind of guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here