Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer funds?

huge

Mar 23, 2011
Tony Bloom is a renowned gambler and poker player right?
If I had sunk £100 million, into a poker hand pot, pre-flop (and bear in mind that the man has made this an unsecured interest free debt in the form of the money for the AMEX) . How much would you invest to protect that investment?
Surely he'd be looking at it and thinking I need to raise a significant amount on the flop, Turn and River.
Also I keep hearing all the time from Gus that we won't have much spending power this year. Maybe 7th or 8th in the league? This was also pre West Ham, Birmingham and Blackpool dropping so implicit maybe 10th or 11th.
Wouldn't it be advantageous to let everyone else think that there was a limited budget on spend this summer? "oh Brighton have thrown a bid in for this player or that player that we have our eye on.... it won't be too much they have a limited budget don't worry Governor"
Wouldn't it make sense if you can afford to spend 100 million on a stadium with no real business minded plan to have that paid back, in any real sense, to throw some serious cash after that to safe guard Championship status? Maybe even push for play offs or automatic promotion?
Massive investment in a new stadium, getting Gus Poyet to manage the club, having an amazing season, winning the league (when it wasn't really a prediction/possibility)?? He's gambled and the very best result has come out of that gamble! Surely this gambler is thinking it's a good time to push harder with his cash? Maybe with some actual business minded safeguards this time?
Even if he made a directors loan of say 10 million, for example, with a reasonable interest rate attached and a payback structure in place over the long term for that cash, doesn't it make sense he'd throw good money after good? The stadium is generating money already with sell out season tickets, corporate and 1901 ticket sales. There's money flying about here !
Last point. First signing. 1 million pound! Next decent rumor KLL, 1.2 million pound......
Any ideas on what money GP has to play with?
BTW my first Brighton game was in 1984 with my dad. He said there was probably 25k-30k people at the game. I went every week until the last game at the goldstone. I am a JCB. I'm terribly excited about next season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I think we'll end up spending 7.5million this summer, with 1.5mil being recouped from the sale of bennett

*edit* maybe that's a bit generous. I'll say 5mil

huge

Mar 23, 2011
I think we'll end up spending 7.5million this summer, with 1.5mil being recouped from the sale of bennett

*edit* maybe that's a bit generous. I'll say 5mil

Makes sense. But The talk is 6 or so signings. We let 6 players go this year Plus GM and its on the cards EB will go for 1 mill. You'd expect us to replace the 6 that have gone plus GM and EB.

I think it'll be higher than 5 million. I really hope the directors and management are feeling brave.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I would be very surprised if we spent as much as £5M.

Would be pleased if we did though.

I'm thinking more like £3.5M

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
We have an increased income from our new home and some of this extra cash will be used to boost the team on the pitch but i don't think it is an excuse to start throwing money around and get deep into debt just because we've moved, you can't keep on relying on a few rich peoople to keep bailing us out.

There is no point having a great ground if the club goes bankrupt and folds - as said above, it is a business after all and i believe that it should be run like one (by trying to balance the books for its long term future survival rather than chasing glory like so many others that have then gone into admin or out of business)

huge

Mar 23, 2011
We have an increased income from our new home and some of this extra cash will be used to boost the team on the pitch but i don't think it is an excuse to start throwing money around and get deep into debt just because we've moved, you can't keep on relying on a few rich peoople to keep bailing us out.

There is no point having a great ground if the club goes bankrupt and folds - as said above, it is a business after all and i believe that it should be run like one (by trying to balance the books for its long term future survival rather than chasing glory like so many others that have then gone into admin or out of business)

Sure but Tony Bloom's debt is unsecured and interest free. No one but no one does that. He won't be banging on the door to get that money back.
100 mil in the worst saving account in the world will make you like half a million a year on interest so its not a debt. He's not looking to turn a profit on this debt. There's no onus on paying it back. So Debt Free?
If I was a business in BHA position 10 mill in debt to a director for transfers would not scare me. Not with guaranteed revenue already sorted pre season. Especially a director who is letting "his heart rule his mind"
He's employed a cracking manager, bagged a good scout. I'm suspecting a big "all in" from Tony B

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Sure but Tony Bloom's debt is unsecured and interest free. No one but no one does that. He won't be banging on the door to get that money back.
100 mil in the worst saving account in the world will make you like half a million a year on interest so its not a debt. He's not looking to turn a profit on this debt. There's no onus on paying it back. So Debt Free?
If I was a business in BHA position 10 mill in debt to a director for transfers would not scare me. Not with guaranteed revenue already sorted pre season. Especially a director who is letting "his heart rule his mind"
He's employed a cracking manager, bagged a good scout. I'm suspecting a big "all in" from Tony B

cloud_cuckoo_land.png

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I heard 3-4m a while back, and looks like thats what's gonna be spent. TB wants top six, and Gus reckons he can get it for that.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Don't mean to rain on your parade Huge but there was no way there were 25-30 thousand at your first game in 1984. There were around 19000 for the FA Cup 4th round game against Liverpool (won 2-0 against the reigning champions - "rub your eyes and look at that") but for most games that season there were anywhere between 9 and 15000 with about 12 being average I think.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Let's take a step back here. Without doing the figures, we could well be spending more in transfer fees this Summer than we have done for the last 5 years or so put together. Maybe even more. ,let's be satisfied with what we're doing already, I have full faith in Gus and Tony to keep us safe this year, at the very least.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't mean to rain on your parade Huge but there was no way there were 25-30 thousand at your first game in 1984. There were around 19000 for the FA Cup 4th round game against Liverpool (won 2-0 against the reigning champions - "rub your eyes and look at that") but for most games that season there were anywhere between 9 and 15000 with about 12 being average I think.

Wasn't that around the time that the Police started to reduce the capacity on 'safety' grounds?

On second thoughts, we had a decent crowd against Arsenal in the sixth round (was it sixth?) that year or next so scrub that comment.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The Club/TB appears to be throwing a chunk of capital investment at year 1 of the Amex project to assemble a squad capable of holding its own in the Champos. It would be interesting to know/speculate where the club have pitched total playing staff wages as a percentage of turnover. This is where most clubs have f***ed up over the past 10 years if their revenue goes down (or is topped out) as their costs go ever higher. If the club can generate £15m pa and they set playing wages at 50% (not a huge figure by some club's standards) then that's £7.5m per year in wages. The club then has to manage the length of contracts and getting value out of their playing assets before they can walk out the door for nothing (unless that's part of the risk as per Murray's case).

We will spend £3mil tops, but prob less than £2m.

Even with Lua Lua (so happy if true) we will have so far spent £700k if we are indeed splashing £1.2 on Kaz and have grabbed £1.5 for Benno.

So of the 6, I would say we have 2 x Will and Kaz, the chelsea Youngsters, minus the 2 we have lost. So 3 more signings......

1 x Deadly Finisher
1 x Quality Centre Back
1 x Midfield Re-inforcement.

There is no way we will (or need to) spend more than £2m on these 3

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
It has been said elsewhere on NSC, and I'll say it here... The real expense is wages, rather than transfer fees.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean

Even with Lua Lua (so happy if true) we will have so far spent £700k if we are indeed splashing £1.2 on Kaz and have grabbed £1.5 for Benno.

So of the 6, I would say we have 2 x Will and Kaz, the chelsea Youngsters, minus the 2 we have lost. So 3 more signings......

1 x Deadly Finisher
1 x Quality Centre Back

I think we might, judging by the way Gus has spoken in the media, we are looking at maybe over the 3 million mark. Which being a long time Albion supporter is quite mind blowing. What ever happens (I know its a cliché) but I do trust Gus and TB to do the right thing by the club.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
and to be fair its not a race to see how quickly Poyet can spend his funds, always good to have money in reserve for January or for when the right player becomes available

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
1 x Deadly Finisher
1 x Quality Centre Back

There is no way we will (or need to) spend more than £2m on these 3[/QUOTE]

1. Mystery 'big-name' striker
2. Jack Cork
3. Henri Lansbury

If, and it's a big if, the three more signings were to be the above, then we would be shelling out nearer £3m IMO. Obvioulsy depending on whether the deals are loan or permanent.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

1 x Deadly Finisher
1 x Quality Centre Back

Plus full-backs...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Re Jack Cork:

"His father revealed the day before in a local newspaper, The Lancashire Telegraph, that Jack is looking to leave Chelsea in the summer and doesn't mind dropping down into the Football League Championship in order to do so.

On 8 August 2010 Chelsea said that they would allow Cork to leave the club and were looking for offers of around £2 millon , however on 12 August Cork re-joined Burnley on a season long loan to the delight of manager Brian Laws.

As of recent, he has expressed his desire to leave Chelsea and turn his loan deal at Burnley into a permanent one at the end of the 2010-2011 season"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here