Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer Deadline Day no. 1

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My fading hope is the fact we play our cards so close to our chest, they will have to be surgically removed.

Veltman wasn’t even a rumour when he was revealed holding up the shirt, the lad from Amiens, was signed sealed and delivered before anyone, including Naylor and Owen, knew he was our player, the two latest boys from Poland, only became common knowledge after it’s all been arranged.

I maybe clutching at straws, but, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got one in, I’m not saying it’s a certainty, but, it’s still a possibility.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Many of us have continued paying DD or 1901 fees as we support the club ( and continue to do so). I have been ok with this, as after the last 8 months of watching no football I was hoping to see some excitement in the TW and a little bit of Ok, we've saved some wages etc and here are a few exciting new players to keep Mojos raised.
However, we as a club appear to be the club (us and Burnley it would appear) that have no money/or ambition to develop our first team and we are left to watch the others strengthen all about us. This has been nothing short of a woeful window, and GP keeping on spouting on about being happy doesn't help when you see Wilder at Sheff utd as an example expressing the need and desire to strengthen in every window.
Im not sure what to feel at the moment, pleased that the youngsters are doing well or terrified as they have no experience and we are 1 injury from disaster.

It is an odd situation, and you do wonder what is driving the situation, most likely budget, but mayve somethiung else. The biggest concern is a triker, it has been for years, but loaning oput Murray and Gyokeres and no replacement is potentially suicidal. Grantred we've signed Zeqiri, but he clearly is not a first team ready player.

On a brighter note, AJ has proven he can score, given the chance and Izquierdo appears to be close to fitness. . . .

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Not expecting anything significant today.

Our business this transfer window has been disappointing. Nailing down Dunk and White was good, Lallana may turn out to be an excellent acquisition or a risk and Veltman was probably a wise move.

Our transfer dealings over the last few seasons have been rather uninspiring (apart from Tariq) and I do wonder what Whinstanley and Ashworth are doing, We haven't made many signings that are statements of intent.

Saying our dealing have been poor a few weeks ago would have been shut down on here with comments like "Jeez still three weeks to go". However, nothing has moved and I don't think it will come midnight tonight.

I think midnight would be pretty pointless I thought it shut at 11

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
On the Karbo thread last night, [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] said he would be stunned if we weren’t still looking for first team singings.

Maybe, just maybe.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not expecting anything significant today.

Our business this transfer window has been disappointing. Nailing down Dunk and White was good, Lallana may turn out to be an excellent acquisition or a risk and Veltman was probably a wise move.

Our transfer dealings over the last few seasons have been rather uninspiring (apart from Tariq) and I do wonder what Whinstanley and Ashworth are doing, We haven't made many signings that are statements of intent.

Saying our dealing have been poor a few weeks ago would have been shut down on here with comments like "Jeez still three weeks to go". However, nothing has moved and I don't think it will come midnight tonight.

Where is Potters own recruitment fella in all of this? Don’t hear anything much about him, it was he that helped him succeed so spectacularly in Sweden?

Don’t need a statement of intent , just common sense strengthening and most importantly cover. This has been a fantastic window for losing experienced players and cutting costs, it’s been a disastrous one, so far, for replacing lost players in key positions.

Whilst none of us have the first clue of the inner machinations of the recruitment team, purely in results, things seem to have improved since Ashworth came, though I am surprised Winstanley is still here also based on results of when he was the main man, as there’s been some very expensive flops. Obviously Bloom knows best, but I do agree that this window from a PL match day squad strengthening perspective (Skill/experience) has been very poor.

Competitors have all taken steps forward.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Damn I forgot to sleep this night so I need to do it now.

When I wake up I hope to see a shiny new signing just to shut up some moaners. Lets go for... Luka Jovic, Real Madrid. Bring him in.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Would love to see Josh King and Troy Deeney come in. Both proven PL players. King is very mobile and can play anywhere in a front three. Deeney is what is needed to replace Murray. I know we don't play in a way that needs a Murray replacement, but gosh do we need a voice on and off the pitch and to help with game management. I think Troy would do that very well and would probably accept a 2 year deal knowing he's unlikely to start much.

I don't think we'll every see Potter us a 'big man up front', but if he was going to get someone in to fill that position Karlan Grant would be a good shout. Young, mobile, decent re-sale in a few years and has also scored a few PL goals already.

Interestingly, all are Championship players so we might have to hang on a few more weeks for them. I don't think the selling clubs will be in a rush to let them go as surely their value is going up overnight.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Theo Walcott has at least 7 (seven) EPL clubs chasing him. Everton willing to let him go on loan to reduce their wage bill. Looks like Southampton is his preferred option.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I really don't see the point in spending a fortune on a last minute panic buy, relying on funds from an incredible generous owner who probably doesn't have them at the moment and risking the financial future of the club. We do have a good squad with depth as well as a talented u23 squad with players who could step up and only 12 games to play before January, that's less than a game a week. If we are in trouble at that point or have suffered injuries then we can buy if the right players are available, it's less than 3 months away.

I really don't think we need to worry about relegation, two of the spots are already taken by West Brom and Fulham and the other one will be taken by one of the other poor sides like Burnley. We've already seen we're miles better than Newcastle and when we play other sides at that level, we'll show it again.

To be honest, this season is one just to get through and be in the league still at the end of it. It's a bit of a freak as we're seeing with the current scorelines, a one off, as Danny Baker said it will be looked back on like the seasons during the war years. Hopefully come next pre-season the world will be in a different place, fans will be allowed back in grounds and we can look to spend again and build on what we have.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Would love to see Josh King and Troy Deeney come in. Both proven PL players. King is very mobile and can play anywhere in a front three. Deeney is what is needed to replace Murray. I know we don't play in a way that needs a Murray replacement, but gosh do we need a voice on and off the pitch and to help with game management. I think Troy would do that very well and would probably accept a 2 year deal knowing he's unlikely to start much.

I don't think we'll every see Potter us a 'big man up front', but if he was going to get someone in to fill that position Karlan Grant would be a good shout. Young, mobile, decent re-sale in a few years and has also scored a few PL goals already.

Interestingly, all are Championship players so we might have to hang on a few more weeks for them. I don't think the selling clubs will be in a rush to let them go as surely their value is going up overnight.

What is rules next week for championship clubs? I know they can do business with the PL, but can they also still do business abroad?

I ask as everyone seems to think x,y,z is available from the championship, but many of them won’t be if adequate cover for the championship club can’t be found.

If the championship deadline is today as well (except PL dealings) why would Huddersfield sell grant in a week if they can’t get cover....... I doubt they would.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Dia said in an interview last night after the Riems gane( in which he scored) that his move to Brighton is still 50/50

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Theo Walcott has at least 7 (seven) EPL clubs chasing him. Everton willing to let him go on loan to reduce their wage bill. Looks like Southampton is his preferred option.

Would be a really good signing for Southampton.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I really don't see the point in spending a fortune on a last minute panic buy, relying on funds from an incredible generous owner who probably doesn't have them at the moment and risking the financial future of the club. We do have a good squad with depth as well as a talented u23 squad with players who could step up and only 12 games to play before January, that's less than a game a week. If we are in trouble at that point or have suffered injuries then we can buy if the right players are available, it's less than 3 months away.

I really don't think we need to worry about relegation, two of the spots are already taken by West Brom and Fulham and the other one will be taken by one of the other poor sides like Burnley. We've already seen we're miles better than Newcastle and when we play other sides at that level, we'll show it again.

To be honest, this season is one just to get through and be in the league still at the end of it. It's a bit of a freak as we're seeing with the current scorelines, a one off, as Danny Baker said it will be looked back on like the seasons during the war years. Hopefully come next pre-season the world will be in a different place, fans will be allowed back in grounds and we can look to spend again and build on what we have.

I completely agree with this. It is a time to not spend money we might not have this time next year, and just make sure we survive, as boring as that might be for some.

Who knows what is going to happen to this season? Maybe called off and huge refunds due to TV companies.

Who knows what the impact of the pandemic has been to Tony's finances?

We need to consolidate get through the season with some sensible acquisitions for the future and then see where we are at the end of it.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020

Wise words.

:thumbsup:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Dia said in an interview last night after the Riems gane( in which he scored) that his move to Brighton is still 50/50

Boulaye Dia at the microphone of Canal +: "Certain to stay at @StadeDeReims ? No. It's 50-50. Brighton? I don't know (laughs). "

There is little doubt, the striker, who still played in N2 2 years ago, will leave the club.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Did he? That is interesting.

Can’t say I’m a fan as I’m not particularly. But needs must, there was talk of a loan/loan to buy......
Would be delighted if we could do that as ‘once Locadia, twice shy’ insurance.......but wouldn’t see the incentive for Reims.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Surely a couple of players heading out on loan like sanders.

We signed our striker already so doubt we will be in for another. I’d like propper to go and a stronger centre mid but this is never happening.

Left back we have sufficient, maybe address upgrading Bernardo in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here