Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Deadline Closed: who has done best?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There was a league table I saw a while ago that shows points amassed by Prem league managers per pound spent - Moyes was second (a fraction behind Wenger). I suspect that Moyes would be top now if the league was done again - and would have been top then if it had taken wages into account too.

I think that Moyes has consistently been a top-performing manager in the PL. You can see why Ferguson wants him as his replacement, his ability to constantly rebuild teams is first-rate and I really can't see Everton struggling for too long.

On the other hand, I can't see that Wenger has done brilliantly in the transfer market. Mertesacker is a good buy (although I reckon they need two decent CBs) as is Arteta but what's the point of Benayoun? Arsenal's problem is an abundance of classy, skilful footballers who are unable to grind out results - why they want another one is beyond me. They also want someone to score goals to complement an injury-prone Van Persie. They're clearly a top third of the table team but I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to make top five

Everton seem to underachieve, but in a lot of ways their team seems to have a mixture of the right players, with the spine of the side OK and a strong defence on paper but not in practice. Even when Arsenal went a whole season without defeat, I thought there was something missing, somebody to cross and get on the end of the ball not threaded through the middle. The trouble for Arsenal is the other teams have sussed them. A good Manager's most indistinguishable skill is how he adapts in battle. At least that's what its says in Great Commanders when Alexander the Great was besieging a city without success. He then adopted a different and unexpected tactic. (I do not know if I necessarily agree with this!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here