Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Budget

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry yes Brian Laudrup , , but his brother was good too !. Yes iam back and working in london for my sins
You must have this thing about Brian and Michael Laudrup both were very good players but it is Michael who is Swansea manager. Must meet up for a beer at The Amex sometime and reminisce. I sit in Lower West.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
yeah did it again , i mean Michael ! .. Iam in ESU , but would love to meet up for a beer .

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
the only thing I would say about budgets is that they are set at the beginning and Gus must have know exactly what he was. If he does not have enough let in that agreed budget to sign the striker he needs then he has to take responsibility for that issue.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You do realise you should COMPLETELY ignore any statements about budgets, right?

The board/Gus are NEVER going to truthfully show their hand in terms of what they have to play with. It would be BONKERS to come out and say "we have a much better budget" as it would instantly push up selling clubs negotiations.

We will certainly have much more than last year....but we're not going to go shouting about it.

True - but do you really think other clubs, agents, players are fooled by Gus' CONSTANT MOANING about his lack of budget? I don't...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thought we had a separate wage and transfer budget? Therefore, surely any free transfers shouldn't have an impact on the transfer budget?

Its all the same pot innit. Agent fees, transfer fees, signing on fees, wages. It's about the management of all these.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Great so signing a striker who wouldn't improve the squad would be your solution. Wow.

Did I say that? No... please learn to read...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever the budget,if there is no new striker who can/will score it'll likely make our desire to be promotion hopefuls,just that!

100% agreed...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
True - but do you really think other clubs, agents, players are fooled by Gus' CONSTANT MOANING about his lack of budget? I don't...

No. I don't. And I don't expect he thinks they are either. But if asked by a reporter what our funds are then he has to go that way on the scale.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I dread to think how much The Amex costs to run a week / month. I'm glad we are not going silly with players wages and signings. I just hope some supporters are understand the reasons why.

Bloom has said he is no Abramovich, so I am glad he is being sensible, because in the end it will pay off.

If CMS gets up and running there will be no need for this striker.

All going well, until your last sentence... we need another striker regardless of CMS form... sorry...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. I don't. And I don't expect he thinks they are either. But if asked by a reporter what our funds are then he has to go that way on the scale.

He doesn't need to be asked to bang on about it... he just bangs on about it anyway...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He doesn't need to be asked to bang on about it... he just bangs on about it anyway...

So what you're saying is he walks up to reporters and tells them we have no money even when not asked a question?

I'm picking up your moaning tone....but I have literally no idea what your complaint is...

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Even the frees get a signing on fee.

Yes but if our transfer budget is say, £3million, and we signed Bruno on a free and his signing on fee is £300k (made up number) does that £300k come out of the transfer budget for sure?

Its all the same pot innit. Agent fees, transfer fees, signing on fees, wages. It's about the management of all these.

Is it? So you're saying Gus would be set a budget of say, £10million and he'd have to do wages, transfers, signing on fees and agent fees from this. I don't know otherwise but I find it hard to believe. Surely he'd have a transfer budget, which would mainly just be upfront fees, and a wage budget which takes into account weekly and yearly payments.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So what you're saying is he walks up to reporters and tells them we have no money even when not asked a question?

I'm picking up your moaning tone....but I have literally no idea what your complaint is...

Gus is a GREAT manager, but has a LOT to learn when dealing with the press...

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Budgets are all well and good and if we've reached ours then fair enough. When we hear supposedly from Gus that we were after the German bloke that Hull signed but couldn't compete/afford him then I'm confused. Hull's first attendance is around 10k less than we'll get most weeks and I can't for one minute believe that they bring in as much revenue from catering etc.. that we managed last year. Either Gus just didn't fancy him or Hull are paying far more than they can really afford, but to not be able to match Hull seems odd.

Edit - Are Hull still getting parachute payments, that would explain it I guess if so. doh.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here