Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer budget

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Sorry, I did put the emphasis on not getting a penny over 10Mil. I do think 8Mil would be the most accurate guess going by what we've heard so far. There's absolutely no chance we will have less than last season. TB & GP will see this season as the season to make the first strike in storming up.

I agree that we wont get less than last year but Im also sure TB wont let Gus blow 10MIL as a few of his signings have been flops this year.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I dont think we will see a transfer bigger than CMS last season, I think 3-5m TOPS is the budget and maybe some incoming transfer money from players going out. We are still not in the realms of £10m budgets, get real chaps, we have a £100m stadium to pay for. Gus will get players in on free transfers, there is plenty of quality about that will cost nothing.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If we could use 1.2Mil to sign Trotter, the rest of the transfer money can be used for wages for some of the excellent players available on a free :D

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Does anyone know, or have a good idea, of the LuaLua fee?

Undisclosed and genuinely one of those where people have no idea, rather than being an undisclosed where it's actually quite well known what is being paid. I've heard everything from 250k to 1.5m bandied around from people who have no idea, although the only thing I think was fairly common knowledge was the Geordies were holding out for a lot more before he failed his medical, including a BIG sell-on fee. My guess is whatever the fee was it was probably lots of clauses and not all that much upfront, as a guarantee in case we'd signed a crock. Probably between 500k-1m, as a midpoint of the fees quoted, would be a ballpark figure?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The budget will be a combination of fees and wages. Theoretically he could blow the entire budget on 5 or 6 free's ... Mattock won't come cheap and I assume Vicente will be looking for more if he commits

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
whats our highest earner on out of interest? I'm guessing the average wage is around 15-20k ish? What's the highest wage does anyone think we would go to?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
whats our highest earner on out of interest? I'm guessing the average wage is around 15-20k ish? What's the highest wage does anyone think we would go to?

I think Vicente is on 20-22K p/w. The average is between 6-8K p/w (please correct if wrong). Vicente is an exception, I don't think BHA are prepared to pay any more than 12-14K a week unless they're a superstar.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I dont think we will see a transfer bigger than CMS last season, I think 3-5m TOPS is the budget and maybe some incoming transfer money from players going out. We are still not in the realms of £10m budgets, get real chaps, we have a £100m stadium to pay for. Gus will get players in on free transfers, there is plenty of quality about that will cost nothing.

We don't have a £100m stadium to pay for as tb has underwritten the cost of that.

The two key areas where we may need to spend money are a good keeper & a good striker.
A left back is also required.

What we should not forget is as much as we want to add to our squad we also have to fight to keep hold of our better players.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Id be surprised if it wasnt Vicente, if not him then maybe CMS. Would expect around the 5 Million mark to be given to Gus, with extra if players get sold.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I think Vicente is on 20-22K p/w. The average is between 6-8K p/w (please correct if wrong). Vicente is an exception, I don't think BHA are prepared to pay any more than 12-14K a week unless they're a superstar.

Not a chance. Look at the accounts from last year at Withdean, a generous estimate of squad average based on wages spent is about 3-4k p/w. More or less the whole squad stayed the same into the Champ, unless we had 'double/treble your wages' clauses built into every player's contract, there's no way 6-8k is the average. My mind would be blown if we were paying any player more than 15k p/w, but our top earner will be CMS not Vicente, Gus & TB aren't mugs, they weren't going to pay Vicente 20 grand a week with his injury record.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We don't have a £100m stadium to pay for as tb has underwritten the cost of that.

Just because hes underwritten it doesnt mean he doesnt want paying back. We are just very lucky its interest free and if we fail to pay in a certain period converts to shares. Those shares could be worth a fortune if we are in the Prem and a big buyer comes in for us.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Not a chance. Look at the accounts from last year at Withdean, a generous estimate of squad average based on wages spent is about 3-4k p/w. More or less the whole squad stayed the same into the Champ, unless we had 'double/treble your wages' clauses built into every player's contract, there's no way 6-8k is the average. My mind would be blown if we were paying any player more than 15k p/w, but our top earner will be CMS not Vicente, Gus & TB aren't mugs, they weren't going to pay Vicente 20 grand a week with his injury record.

I was waiting for someone to bite! I was just going by Championship Manager stats! :jester:

Although I'd put money on Vicente being the highest earner and overall wages dramatically increased as of the start of least season being in the Championship, new ground etc.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

CMS is high teens I heard. Vicente was probably cheaper but will now cost much more to keep. Noone will be on something decent as he renewed last season as per Lua Lua and Buckley. Harley is on £7k pw apparently and was pushing hard for more. Cant see any of the others who havent renewed contracts being on over £5k. Possibly Greer I suppose to tempt him from Swindon.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
The facts remain that gus has gone on record that he has money to spend.nobody knows how much so instead of trying to second guess him why don't we just wait & see

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I was waiting for someone to bite! I was just going by Championship Manager stats! :jester:

Although I'd put money on Vicente being the highest earner and overall wages dramatically increased as of the start of least season being in the Championship, new ground etc.

Ha, did wonder what your source was! Vicente may well become our highest earner if he renews but I'd put my house on him getting his lions share last season from appearances etc. Not quite pay as you play mind, but if he's on mega bucks it will have been for actually playing because I simply refuse to believe we would've gambled 20k a week (£1m a year!) on a guy who'd spent the last 3 seasons injured.

CMS is high teens I heard. Vicente was probably cheaper but will now cost much more to keep. Noone will be on something decent as he renewed last season as per Lua Lua and Buckley. Harley is on £7k pw apparently and was pushing hard for more. Cant see any of the others who havent renewed contracts being on over £5k. Possibly Greer I suppose to tempt him from Swindon.

I've heard Harley anywhere between 4 and 8 so wouldn't disagree with that. Noone/Buckley/LuaLua I'd agree would be in the 5-8 bracket, seems going rate for the division. I have heard from a friend of a friend who's ITK (a crap link I know but to be fair the guy has called the LuaLua, CMS, Reyes and Harper signings to me before they happened) that CMS is on around 10 with appearance clauses and what not built in, so he might take home teens if he plays/scores etc but would be surprised if he was >15 basic.

That said all this info is through the grapevine, no-one really knows except the club, the player and his bank manager!

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

After promotion wasnt some of the squad given new contracts??? I cant imagine many of the squad did stay on league 1 wages after we came up. I have absolutely no evidence of this but i reckon we are paying higher wages than a lot of people think.
I agree Gus and Tony are no mugs but we're competing at a higher level now with a realistic chance of promotion to the prem. As of last summer we are attracting lot better players to the club so we must be paying the right sort of wages to be able to do this.

Dec 29, 2011
CMS is on around 10 with appearance clauses and what not built in, so he might take home teens if he plays/scores etc but would be surprised if he was >15 basic.

This is my understanding. CMS is the highest earner with Vicente on about the same, however Vicente has more lucrative clauses which indirectly effect Brighton, but don't actually require payment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here