Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tranquillizers

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
32. As I said before I've never been a confident person and meeting new people can be quite daunting.

Just a few years younger then me pal.Reading between the lines i have an inkling your problems runs a little deeper then your letting on.No need to worry chap as going to see a psychiatrist is far better then your own GP.They have alot of power and can set you up on programs if you wish.My one takes complete control over all mattters including medication.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Thanks. I try and make myself look macho, shaved head and lifting heavy things to build up my muscles but mentally I am vulnerable without Diazepam.

Thursday and Friday can't come soon enough.:thumbsup:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
You'll be fine mate, from what I gather a gradual change is better than cold turkey, might make the tranisition perioid a bit easier too. Good luck.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Have you tried CBT? It works by challenging and confronting any negative perceptions you have that keeps you in that cycle of anxiety and depression. I think this combined with a gradual weaning off of the drug may help. Im no expert but I was previousley on Paroxetine for Social Anxiety and was offered CBT many times but chose not to as a change in circumstances (lost a load of weight) improved my confidence masssively and i was gradually weaned off the drug. What ever you choose fella good luck with it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Have you tried CBT? It works by challenging and confronting any negative perceptions you have that keeps you in that cycle of anxiety and depression. I think this combined with a gradual weaning off of the drug may help. Im no expert but I was previousley on Paroxetine for Social Anxiety and was offered CBT many times but chose not to as a change in circumstances (lost a load of weight) improved my confidence masssively and i was gradually weaned off the drug. What ever you choose fella good luck with it.

They have a pilot scheme in my area, recommended highly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Diazepam takes a long time to leave the body and I can go 3-4 days without using it but the anxiety gets worse and worse. My hands shake sometimes. Seizures are possible from withdrawal which sounds really frightening.

I'm worried sick about my medication being stopped abruptly.

Those are withdrawal symptoms, avoid caffeine and for God's sake don't use alcohol to clam you. A pint is one thing but go careful with that, it's highly counter productive.

Anyway, feel free to PM me as I know a lot about this from personal experience. Also, if anybody makes any stupid remarks to you about this just ignore them, you are ill so you need treatment just the same as if you had a broken leg.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Those are withdrawal symptoms, avoid caffeine and for God's sake don't use alcohol to clam you. A pint is one thing but go careful with that, it's highly counter productive.

Anyway, feel free to PM me as I know a lot about this from personal experience. Also, if anybody makes any stupid remarks to you about this just ignore them, you are ill so you need treatment just the same as if you had a broken leg.

I don't drink tea, coffee, coca cola or Red Bull as that would make things ten times worse and I try to be careful with alcohol. The treatment I'm getting is with a clinic. It's a case of now or never, I don't want to be on Diazepam for the rest of my life. They're 5mg yellow tablets which aren't that strong but I usually take four at a time which is reckless.:facepalm:

All the comments on here have been very supportive and kind. I honestly love everybody on this forum. I'll beat this addiction and become more confident naturally without using tranquillizers.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't drink tea, coffee, coca cola or Red Bull as that would make things ten times worse and I try to be careful with alcohol. The treatment I'm getting is with a clinic. It's a case of now or never, I don't want to be on Diazepam for the rest of my life. They're 5mg yellow tablets which aren't that strong but I usually take four at a time which is reckless.:facepalm:

All the comments on here have been very supportive and kind. I honestly love everybody on this forum. I'll beat this addiction and become more confident naturally without using tranquillizers.

Thanks again to everyone for their support.

Your doctor is right about taking too many but you cannot just stop taking that amount. You need to have as little stress as possible to start with (easier said than done I know) and then you need to have a schedule of say taking 20 MG (for tabs) for a week, then 18 for a week (3.5 tabs), then maybe 15 and so on. The problem is with having the bottle to hand it's very easy to take them on demand especially under duress which is why you need to think about taking them over the day and not all at once.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have only this week seen my Gp with a view to reducing my meds. I'm on 150mg of effexor xl per day but we are going to reduce it by 25% every two months. I'm also on 25 mg of amytripiline but I think that might be easier to come off.

I agree about the whole alcohol thing. Strangely as it seems it was quite easy for me to avoid alcohol whilst living in Ireland but since I've been living in London on my own my consumption has risen dramatically and on three occasions already I don't know how I have got home. Two of those when I have gone out drinking on my own. I'm sure these drugs and aclohol together aren't a good idea.

I am now on a self imposed ban from alcohol but can't help think I'll be out again on the first invite.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I would second suggestions that you look a CBT or psychological approaches before consideration of further/other medical treatments. Im not qualified but I would suggest looking to see a psychologist as opposed to a psychiatrist in the longer term. Psychologists are more focused on non drug treatments of issues. As others have said, you will have to wean yourself off diazepam slowly but def seek an experts advice. It seems that Doctors are all to willing to prescribe drugs within a 5 minute consultation.

Best of luck.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've been prescribed 8mg a day now and the doctor said it'll probably take around 14 months to wean myself off diazepam.:( I was really freaked out on Friday at the clinic. He said how nervous I was and staring at me for ages.

So determined to get better and beat my addiction to tranquillizers.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been in a pit the deepest I have ever been in my life for so long I cannot remember any other way now but I have so far not taken any medication for it. I do not want to go on the happy pills. Life is very very tough at the moment for lots of people but I hope one day it may get better. Until then there's always the Whisky. My preferred medication of choice.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway Durlston. I hope things pick up for you soon as you are a decent bloke and I know where your coming from in your past traumatic events.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Anyway Durlston. I hope things pick up for you soon as you are a decent bloke and I know where your coming from in your past traumatic events.

Cheers fella. If it wasn't for diazepam I would never leave the house.:eek: I'm just going to take it one day at a time.

So glad you're a lot happier now mate.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here