Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trains

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Couldn't get a reserved seat from Paddington, and it says that reservations are mandatory. Do they really stop people with valid walk-on tickets from getting on the trains? :(

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
First Great Western always say that a reservation is required to ensure travel to Cardiff on Match days.

Although they will be more strict with the West Ham Palace game as all of their fans are going from Paddington. It all depends how busy it gets.

Its a risk but you will probably be ok if you havent reserved, if not for the 10 then definately the 11. Ive got a booking on the 11 but am going to try for the 10am to get there earlier.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Am going the coastal route. Change at Salisbury, takes a bit longer but mouch cheaper

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
In the past, they've herded fans without confirmed seats into long queues and put them on trains according to how full the train is. I got to Cardiff for the Arsenal v. Liverpool Cup Final without a confirmed seat, albeit on a later train than I'd bought a ticket for.

Coming back is a good deal worse. I got to the station at just after 5pm that day, and got on a train at 8.30. Even a ticket for a confirmed seat on a train coming back isn't worth the paper it's printed on, unless things have changed dramatically since then.

I am on the 10.00...I cannot really see them checking all the tickets...And some people never turn up!!

LC:eek:

Johners

Jul 6, 2003
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
Booked my ticket for the 10am from Paddington last week thru Thetrainline.com. Have rung them today who confirm they have reserved seat on outward journey only. Sounds like the return trip is still a lottery, as per Herne Hill Seagull's comments earlier.

Looks like I may be coming back with my Mum & Dad in the car after all, via a cousin of my Dad who lives in Cardiff.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
London Calling said:
I am on the 10.00...I cannot really see them checking all the tickets...And some people never turn up!!

LC:eek:

If they are concerned about overcrowding you will not be allowed anywhere near the train without a ticket thats been checked first.

whip

Aug 14, 2003
Hassocks
:clap2: Must have got lucky this morning then cos I got 5 of us on the 8.30 out of Paddington gets us into Cardiff at 10.43 just in time for the boozers to open :drink: Pain in the arse on the way back mind have to hang around in Wales till 20.30 still it wont matter if we get the right result. Prediction BRIGHTON WIN 2-1.:angel:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I bought my tickets a while ago and was but unable to reserve a seat on the way back to London.. which I thought was odd, but now I realise why.

skintboy

Jul 12, 2003
Eastborne
I am on the 10.00 at paddington as well,I presume that we have to just bundle on and hope for the best :ohmy:

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
From the FGW site:

-----------------------
Major events at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

Find out more about forthcoming events at the Millennium Stadium in the heart of Cardiff, and advice on how to travel to the Stadium.

Major events at the Millennium Stadium attract crowds of up to 70,000 and Cardiff Central station, a short walk from the stadium will be very busy. If you are not travelling to the stadium, you may wish to avoid these busy periods.

Seat reservations are strongly recommended and may be compulsory from certain stations, including Paddington, Reading and Swansea.
We will run additional trains before and after major events, where possible.

Saturday 22 May
FA Cup Final

For safety reasons, we will operate a queuing system after events, limiting the number of people allowed into Cardiff Central station.
Seat reservations are not available on return services after events.
There are no Left Luggage facilities at Cardiff Central station. The station closes after the departure of the last train and there are no overnight facilities.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
what about the seagulls special train? surely im guarenteed a seat on the way back?. i will be seriously pissed off if i dont get on it or have to stand.?
my ticket is printed on a seagulls ticket so it will be easy for guards to spot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here