Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains up the swanny

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
Someone getting struck by a train doesn't always mean a suicide. Sometimes it's the engineers working on the lines being in the wrong place at the wrong time and not following instructions.

I actually saw an incident once at Balcome station. Wasn't pleasant at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Crawling through Gatters now on a packed train. They're moving, but its cattle class where I am.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glad I WFH today after cancellation on 17.42 from London Bridge last night too !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolute chaos is the word, nothing now leaving East Croydon southbound or Haywards Heath northbound, buses running in places and diversions via Dorking as well

Can you provide Paul Barber with the number of the bus company you're using please. If the rail network can conjur up a service at such short notice then the Albion can surely get the Millwall P&R operational.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Glad I WFH today after cancellation on 17.42 from London Bridge last night too !

That's my normal train, and was a pain being cancelled last night - though I got back in reasonble time. Missed tonights fun and games as I'm sitting in a bed in Guys hospital, right next to London Bridge stn. Not sure where I'd rather be, here or stuck on the down line.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Person jumped of the bridge at Horley in to the Gatwick Express at full speed.

So bad was the impact the whole line needed closing - just got home.

That's my normal train, and was a pain being cancelled last night - though I got back in reasonble time. Missed tonights fun and games as I'm sitting in a bed in Guys hospital, right next to London Bridge stn. Not sure where I'd rather be, here or stuck on the down line.

Can one ask why you are sitting in a bed in Guys Hospital?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Person jumped of the bridge at Horley in to the Gatwick Express at full speed.

So bad was the impact the whole line needed closing - just got home.

I was at Gatwick. A guy was acting erratically and was initially picked up on by station staff but they lost him. Waiting for the 16.49 to L'hampton looking at my phone when there was an unusual noise and every service stopped. We were immediately taken off the platforms and all the emergency services headed down to platforms 3 and 4. There was then a parade of police and ambulances going to Gatwick - not Horley.

Edit - I withdraw that because I'm speculating too. They could have been directed the wrong way initially becaus there was a lot of confusion

Last edited:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can one ask why you are sitting in a bed in Guys Hospital?

You can if you want to know - I had on op in here earlier. Not a bundle of laughs, they had a good poke round the bladder gaining access through the old throbnozzle. Funnily enough I slept right through it !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The media also seem confused. The Argus says it was at the station whereas This is Sussex says it was on the line. I'm going to stop speculating and just add that this is the first time I have witnessed a response to such an incident. Whatever your travel experience tonight know that police and rail officials were pretty much rushing to something very grizzly while the platforms were cleared expertly and everyone involved tried their best. I still get wound up about train and signal failures but there should be no blame attached to anyone directly involved here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't be a stupid boy, a Gatwick Express going through Horley at full speed would be about 10mph. It was the 1619 Bton to Vic

Only going on what my helpful Train Manager told me

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mainly the same ones who provide the buses for the P & R like Southern Transit

Interesting that you are able to call up and have a bus service in place at such short notice and with minimal time for planning but, according to some, it is impossible to do the same with 3 months notice on Boxing Day.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
I sat just outside salfords heading south and we didn't move an inch for nearly 1.5 hours.

A real comedy moment though...some bird calls someone to tell them we're stuck and (I kid you not) she says "someone's been struck by a train so I'm going to be late, hopefully it just hit their arm or something and we won't have to wait to long"!!!

Less than five minutes later the conductor says something along the lines of we're going to be here for a while yet as they're currently cleaning up following the earlier fatality or something along those lines!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Is that the same one that changed his mind about half a dozen times from Haywards Heath about whether the Gatwick Express would/wouldn't be making its scheduled stop at Preston Park?

Gatwick Express stops at Preston Park? Not much of an express I'd. imagine.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Gatwick Express stops at Preston Park? Not much of an express I'd. imagine.

Its about the only train that does for a weird period between about 7pm and 7.30pm. Every other fucker is either Burgess Hill-Hassocks-Brighton or Burgess Hill-Hassocks-Hove. Which is taking the piss a tad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here