Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains to Birmingham - again!

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
Just tried booking in advance online with Virgin from Euston to Birmingham New Street but they are are not taking anymore reservations, I assume this is because the train is sold out.

There must be other Netowrks that go from Euston to Birmingham? does have anyone have any ideas of the best value way of doing this leg of the journey?

doing the journey by car is now becoming more tempting due to the price but obviously not as fun!

If anyone has any decent suggestions would be much appreciated as already got the travel to London sorted with Group Save Via Southern Rail.

Cheers

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
does not necessarily mean service is full simply that the cheap ticket allocation has all been sold.

ChilternTrains run Marylebone to birmingham Snow Hill
London Midland Euston to New Street

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Last night I booked eight out of Euston - had the same problem but it worked when I booked a slightly earlier train (10.43) out of Euston and a later train on the way back (7.10pm). Five adults and three kids London to Birmingham return - £182. Not bad.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
Booked with 5 tickets with London Midland ysterday via Trainline.com. Not groupsave as such but came in £17.90 each (inc booking fee) travelling from Euston at about 1045 into BNR at 1300ish ...

Openended return as well ...

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Go to Southern ticket office at Brighton. Booked 4 adults from Brighton to Birmingham New Street (travelling via Kensington Olympia) and it came to £83.60 in total as a groupsave 4. That can be purchased on the day too they informed me so not restricted to any train as such. You can go earlier but we will be on the 0819 Brighton to Clapham, 0938 Clapham to Watford Junction, 1037 Virgin Train from Watford Junction arrives into Birmingham New Street at 11:45. Not bad for £20.90 each with no restrictions on which train you MUST be on.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
booked 2 tkts yesterday for about £36 but now thinking about taking my 5 year old son. I'm sure he qualifies for a child fare, now he is 5.

Do you think I'd get away with this easily? Otherwise will mean having to pay up to an extra £20

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Booked with 5 tickets with London Midland ysterday via Trainline.com. Not groupsave as such but came in £17.90 each (inc booking fee) travelling from Euston at about 1045 into BNR at 1300ish ...

Openended return as well ...

Nice one Man on the Run! However, our virgin train leaves at the same time but is due in just after twelve. Is your London Midland a steam train :lolol:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
I use the London - Brimingham line 3 times a week so know all about it, especially sitting on it and going nowhere fast.

By far the quickest and most pleasant route is via Virgin from Euston. Trains are every 20minutes (in the week at any rate) and wont take you much more than an 1hr 20 on a good day. Free wi fi for t-mobile customers and a seat that even a fat bastard can fit into.

Chiltern trains go from Marlybone. Its slower but much cheaper and is a pleasant enough experience. London Midland go from Euston and are cheap. London Midland trains, however, are a pile of shit. They 'upgraded' some carriages last year. This involved removing the tables and installing the seats which only Victoria Beckham and Kate Moss can fit comfortably into (those shitty 3 in a line ones like you get on Southern). Also, the catering trolley refuses to sell you a coffee or tea if you sit in said seat as there as there are no tables to safely put them. Great. Thats if you they put on a trolley on a Saturday which I doubt so bring your own booze. London Midland also have problems on Sundays as they have stopped paying thier drivers double bubble and half the trains don't run as the driver is watching Goals on Sunday instead.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Nice one Man on the Run! However, our virgin train leaves at the same time but is due in just after twelve. Is your London Midland a steam train :lolol:

London Midland train has about 50 stops on the way, the Virgin train will have two stops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here