Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains shitshow - next STRIKE - October 8th (Spurs)??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not really comparing like with like though. Rail passenger numbers have increased enormously since the 1980s and all these extra users are willing to pay these high prices. I guess a lot of people have joined you as commuters. Perhaps it’s just difficult to manage the increase without building new railways and that’s not really possible.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...-passenger-journeys-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

There has been no big increase in usage on my line. The opposite in fact, with home working. That will all change when Faversham doubles its population due to house building, of course. But no, the problem is privatization. Full stop.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
It should be of concern to PB. It's the Albion's least best 'customer matchday experience' by a country mile. 10k of that 31k are pure EPL tourists of one sort or another. Not the kind to hang around should things ever go tits up

Blimey I didn't realise I was an EPL tourist as I don't have a ST. :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Also recall some absolute nightmare elfin safety incidents at London Bridge with commuters trying to board a moving slam door train

Ah. That was probably me. :moo:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was more a dig about every thread being turned political to champion comrade Harold

Lacks sufficient punctuation/spelling. Do you mean:

"It was more a dig about every thread being turned political to champion, comrade Harold"

I love a champion thread, me. Or:

"It was more a dig about every thread being turned political too, champion comrade Harold"

I'm not your comrade ??? But I am indeed champion (of pocket billiards). Or:

"It was more a dig about every thread being turned political, to champion comrade Harold"

I'd love to think I have a swarm of followers intent on championing me, but that's just silly.

No, ya got me this time, with your carelessly typed riposte :wink:

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Fair play to PB and AM for both taking time to reply to me in double quick time. Nul Point tho for pushing back on my suggestion of reinstating display of real-time transport information on the concourses. Oh well :shrug:
Do they still display the train times in the railway bell ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
This looks like the perfect storm of complete shittery. A Palace fixture with a Saturday 3pm on a pleasant September afternoon - a time and day that we’ve avoided for decades for security reasons, and now, with a rail strike chucked in to boot this is going to cause absolute mayhem.

What contingency plans have the club, police, transport companies and local authorities got in place - if any? How will a 31,000 crowd get to the Amex and back in relative safety? Surely the best course of action is for the club and Premier League to postpone the fixture and come up with an alternative date later in the season - common sense - or is that in short supply as well?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
This looks like the perfect storm of complete shittery. A Palace fixture with a Saturday 3pm on a pleasant September afternoon - a time and day that we’ve avoided for decades for security reasons, and now, with a rail strike chucked in to boot this is going to cause absolute mayhem.

What contingency plans have the club, police, transport companies and local authorities got in place - if any? How will a 31,000 crowd get to the Amex and back in relative safety? Surely the best course of action is for the club and Premier League to postpone the fixture and come up with an alternative date later in the season - common sense - or is that in short supply as well?

If I was a betting man I'd guess they will move it to the Sunday.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OH NO! This is the pre international break week when real loyal fans get to take a holiday. I'm off on the Monday so just hope they don't move it to then.
But thinking about it, don't players have to be released Monday hence never a MNF in international weeks.
Best bet is to kettle the Palace fans straight down the M23.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Can they not run additional buses from Lewes and Brighton stations like they have previously
Wolves ? possibly sticks in the mind for an evening game
They have enough time to organise it
Or does the increased crowd and reduced parking prevent that option?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
OH NO! This is the pre international break week when real loyal fans get to take a holiday. I'm off on the Monday so just hope they don't move it to then.
But thinking about it, don't players have to be released Monday hence never a MNF in international weeks.
Best bet is to kettle the Palace fans straight down the M23.
They won't move it til Monday as players need to report for international duty

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Can they not run additional buses from Lewes and Brighton stations like they have previously
Wolves ? possibly sticks in the mind for an evening game
They have enough time to organise it
Or does the increased crowd and reduced parking prevent that option?

I don’t think it was the Wolves game (December last year), I was on a train from Brighton to/from Falmer with the Black Country’s finest describing Brighton as a shithole - what the hell does that make Wolverhampton then! :laugh:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Imagine the scenes in Darren Balkham's office!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

D31B4EDE-3809-48E6-8AA8-7B80A54B0789.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here