Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train farce

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
no, he means carriages, hence the use of the word "carriages". the Ashford service is 2 cars long and doesnt stop at Falmer, when i first read this thread i summised something exactly like Uter's suggestion maybe at the root. now, having added the carriages he'd probably have to have done some checks or even move to a new cab to drive, i can only assume that he didnt ask and no one bothered to tell him about the stop. But he must have also been cleared to go through, so presumably the signal man hadnt been told either.

chalk one to massive cockup, learn and move on.

Would have had nothing to do with the signalman, Whatever happened (or didn't as is the case) would have been purely down to Southern.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
All I kept thinking as I tried to leave last night was motorbikes motorbikes motorbikes. Gotta be done next year.

Well, just speculating. Could have been a sound operational reason for not doing so.

I think people appreciate that things go wrong from time to time, but if it was known beforehand that the train couldn't stop for whatever reason/problem, leaving passengers in the dark is incredibly frustrating. Just tell us what's going on!

Exactly this, I am very used to standing on Train stations waiting for trains and watching train after train go through but not when the boards say they are going to stop.

On this note, whenever I am waiting for trains at godforsaken places and one comes through, even at walking speed, there is an announcement to say "Stand Clear" Last night with thousands of people crowding the platform and quite a bit of jostling there was nothing, which in itself is bloody dangerous.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Train operators are fined for late arrivals at certain stations - Brighton being one. In the past I have been on trains that have been advertised at London bridge and Hayward Heath that they are stopping at Hassocks but have sped straight through to Brighton. I have to say that First Crapital are the worst offenders at this but Southern seem to be joining in the practice

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011
no, he means carriages, hence the use of the word "carriages". the Ashford service is 2 cars long and doesnt stop at Falmer, when i first read this thread i summised something exactly like Uter's suggestion maybe at the root. now, having added the carriages he'd probably have to have done some checks or even move to a new cab to drive, i can only assume that he didnt ask and no one bothered to tell him about the stop. But he must have also been cleared to go through, so presumably the signal man hadnt been told either.

chalk one to massive cockup, learn and move on.

But as has been said that's not what happens.

On match days the two car Ashford to Brighton diesel is terminated at Eastbourne and passengers have to change on to an eight car electric. It's just not possible to add another six carriages to the diesel. Also it's not possible to run electric between Ore and Ashford.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
The man trying to manage the grief on the platform told me that the driver on the 9.45 hadn't read his instructions, no mention of there not being a guard.
The crush to try and get on the the three carriage train was a glimpse of humanity at its worst, had two children with me so just waited it out. The next one turned out to be a lot bigger than the three cars promised, so perhaps Southern did manage to do something at short notice. No great help to all those in the queue though, losing the eight car at 9.45 was always going to have a big knock-on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
learn and move on.

Why after 200 years of passenger railways why do we still need to learn simple things like it might be a good idea to stop an empty 8 carriage train and pick up passengers?

Why after 200 years of passenger railways why do we still need to learn simple things like it might be a good idea to stop an empty 8 carriage train and pick up passengers?

Because the man at the Union said "do things by the book" or something similar.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But as has been said that's not what happens.

On match days the two car Ashford to Brighton diesel is terminated at Eastbourne and passengers have to change on to an eight car electric. It's just not possible to add another six carriages to the diesel. Also it's not possible to run electric between Ore and Ashford.

With this attitude you must work in the industry.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just doubled checked the train times given at the start of this thread. 21:45 couldn't have been the Ashford train so that blows my theory out of the water.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
The most frustrating bit is standing on the platform knowing that you have a 130-odd mile journey home, and 2 connecting trains to make, but it's the 2-3 mile bit from Falmer to Brighton that is going to f*** your entire journey up.

In injury time we were stood by a set of stairs in North Stand, and on the whistle ran straight to the station, so made as quick an exit as possible (without missing any play). It was a full 32 MINUTES, yes 32 MINUTES, between the full time whistle going and the first train leaving Falmer station for Brighton, whatever the reason for that, it is a SHAMBLES.

Anyone trying to sympathise with Southern Rail, or say that it's 'Not a big deal' (or words to that effect), I assume that you got home a lot before 1.42am, which is the time I got through my front door this morning.

I hope the club come down HARD on Southern for this, because if there is anything that is going to put off us far-flung Seagulls from renewing our Season Tickets, and the club losing money as a result, it is public transport like that.

P.S. It really helped that after the Falmer shambles, Southern's 'fast' service to Victoria was painfully slow and got in 10-15 minutes late, meaning we missed our connection and faced a 35 minute wait at Euston. All in all a GREAT, no SUPERB, night for Southern Trains.

Rant Over

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Oh and I completely forgot to mention the crushing trying to get onto that first 3-carraige train, where quite frankly for a few seconds I was scared and had no power over which way I went, due to the crush from all sides, so god knows what it must have been like for the couple of older women and kids who were around and in the middle of that as well.

Police, stewards, whoever, need to take a look at themselves for letting that happen, it could, and almost did, turn very nasty.

Oh and I completely forgot to mention the crushing trying to get onto that first 3-carraige train, where quite frankly for a few seconds I was scared and had no power over which way I went, due to the crush from all sides, so god knows what it must have been like for the couple of older women and kids who were around and in the middle of that as well.

Police, stewards, whoever, need to take a look at themselves for letting that happen, it could, and almost did, turn very nasty.

Sounds just like the queue for the WSU bogs at half time.!!!

Seriously though I agree, I was on that first 3 car train, even if I had decided against it I would still had been on it, the crowd just propelled you towards a door.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm sure Southern could do quite a bit more to help but with no financial incentive I very much doubt they will.

An interesting concept that one - take money from their customers to provide a service but want yet more money to provide a good service !

Train operators are fined for late arrivals at certain stations - Brighton being one. In the past I have been on trains that have been advertised at London bridge and Hayward Heath that they are stopping at Hassocks but have sped straight through to Brighton. I have to say that First Crapital are the worst offenders at this but Southern seem to be joining in the practice

And that really annoys me. I've had this happen to me on occasions yet I have brought a ticket ( i.e. entered into a contract ) for the company to get ME to a specific station - not for them to get their train from A to B ! Strangely when I break the contract - e.g. want to break my journey early all of a sudden on a discounted ticket they refer to the T&Cs and tell me I can't do it. Railway companies don't seem to understand we're the CUSTOMER !!!! Southern is the most shambolic out of a very poor group of railway companies.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
With this attitude you must work in the industry.

I think he's just stating the facts as they stand. I don't think the track is electrified between Ore and Ashford, so it's a technical impossibility for electric trains to run along there. Similarly I doubt diesel and electric units can be coupled together. Attitude doesn't come into it. It's not a case of inflexibility on Southern's part.

Of course, whether this stretch should be electrified is another question...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Still surprised people try to get the train into Brighton straight after the game when there are empty buses sitting in Moulsecoomb. Quite glad I drove tonight though.

Do you think all Brighton fans that get the train back to Brighton after games live in Brighton?

I suggest you read post 132 from the guy who lives in the West Midlands.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The most frustrating bit is standing on the platform knowing that you have a 130-odd mile journey home, and 2 connecting trains to make, but it's the 2-3 mile bit from Falmer to Brighton that is going to f*** your entire journey up.

In injury time we were stood by a set of stairs in North Stand, and on the whistle ran straight to the station, so made as quick an exit as possible (without missing any play). It was a full 32 MINUTES, yes 32 MINUTES, between the full time whistle going and the first train leaving Falmer station for Brighton, whatever the reason for that, it is a SHAMBLES.

Anyone trying to sympathise with Southern Rail, or say that it's 'Not a big deal' (or words to that effect), I assume that you got home a lot before 1.42am, which is the time I got through my front door this morning.

I hope the club come down HARD on Southern for this, because if there is anything that is going to put off us far-flung Seagulls from renewing our Season Tickets, and the club losing money as a result, it is public transport like that.

P.S. It really helped that after the Falmer shambles, Southern's 'fast' service to Victoria was painfully slow and got in 10-15 minutes late, meaning we missed our connection and faced a 35 minute wait at Euston. All in all a GREAT, no SUPERB, night for Southern Trains.

Rant Over

fair play sir for showing such commitment. i live in brighton, so i'm not faced with much hardship about getting back... i do generally hang around after the game a bit to try and do my bit for people like you - you don't need us locals clogging up that train queue immediately on full time, when you've got long journeys ahead of you.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Whilst on the subject of transport, the (majority) of the yellow jackets at the Park and Ride queues need either some decent leadership/instructions or getting rid.

Two preposals for starters:

(1) The amout of busses leaving the Stadium with minimum of 15% spare capacity on. Last week a steward came on to the bus, counted 11 empty seats upstairs, and then proceeded to let the bus go. WTF! It happens on every bus!

(2) On the Mill Road P+R - with the large bendy busses - open ALL the doors to let people on - having precounted the correct number of people to be stood in the right place. At the moment, they are loaded from the front, single file style and take about 10 minutes to load and get away. (It doesn't help when a steward gets on at the front of the bus and chats to the driver, thus blocking half the entrance.)

As others have said, the club could learn a lot from others re the transport, but seem to think it's OK, ignorethe problem and it will go away.

The only thing that will go away is STH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here