Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train disruption at Burgess Hill going to Brighton

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A passenger on the Gatwick Express heading south has been taken ill and needs an ambulance. No idea how long we'll be stuck here.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southern site - no reported delays.

Actuality - am stuck outside burgess hill on a train that is now 20 mins late. It's not like there's much you can do about someone needing an ambulance but you could at least communicate properly.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Southern site - no reported delays.

Actuality - am stuck outside burgess hill on a train that is now 20 mins late. It's not like there's much you can do about someone needing an ambulance but you could at least communicate properly.

Never use the Southern website for live train info as its utter rubbish.

Twitter is your best bet. Line now open.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
A passenger on the Gatwick Express heading south has been taken ill and needs an ambulance. No idea how long we'll be stuck here.

So what you do is take the sick person off the train, leave them on the platform until the ambulance comes. Train then continues its journey with only a short delay and hundreds of people's journeys aren't screwed up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
So what you do is take the sick person off the train, leave them on the platform until the ambulance comes. Train then continues its journey with only a short delay and hundreds of people's journeys aren't screwed up.

Yeah, I am sure a cold platform would be ideal for someone in need of an ambulance. :dunce:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was on that Gatwick Express with the Gatwick scrubbed off the side. We were sat there at Burgess Hill for half an hour. Suppose they had to wait for the ambulance to arrive, then stabilise the passenger etc. Comedy French conductor kept announcing 'Allo!' then nothing else. Then the dreaded words 'Will the conductor please contact the driver' which normally means the onset of some further shit drama or other. But just this once they let us off with that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Yeah, stick a person who clearly needed an ambulance and is ill, possibly unconscious, onto a cold station platform - just so a train doesn't have a minor delay.

Pure selfish that, one of the few delays commuters would actually be fine with.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah, stick a person who clearly needed an ambulance and is ill, possibly unconscious, onto a cold station platform - just so a train doesn't have a minor delay.

No its not selfish at all, like there isnt a warm ticket office, staff restroom at these stations ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There seems to be a lot of passengers in need of medical care these days, dont you think?

No its not selfish at all, like there isnt a warm ticket office, staff restroom at these stations ?

Have you ever been to Burgess Hill station Bushy?

Southbound, which is the direction I presume it was going, there is nothing, the ticket office is up a mahoosive flight of stairs. As much as I sympathise with commuters for 90% of the delays, an ill passenger is not one of them.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Obviously we don't know what the nature of the illness was, but if it was deemed serious enough to call an ambulance then moving the person is probably not an option.

It would be good policy for the train companies to educate guards as first responders in medical emergencies.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So if the train was 30 mins late can I claim ?

With Southern yes, could be any reason and they will give you something back. Not sure about FCC.

Obviously we don't know what the nature of the illness was, but if it was deemed serious enough to call an ambulance then moving the person is probably not an option.

It would be good policy for the train companies to educate guards as first responders in medical emergencies.

Would have thought the guard would put a call out asking if a doctor onboard could go and attend - had that on a Virgin service before and 15 turned up to help !!

There seems to be a lot of passengers in need of medical care these days, dont you think?

Not really, it's normal. Paramedics don't just get called out to trains, besides this could be anything, hope the person isn't badly ill.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Never use the Southern website for live train info as its utter rubbish.

Twitter is your best bet. Line now open.

Cheers. I do follow them on twitter but also about 1000 others, making messages hard to pick out from a timeline sometimes. If the site says 'live running information' then it really should be pretty close to live!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Then the dreaded words 'Will the conductor please contact the driver' which normally means the onset of some further shit drama or other.

Those truly are the words that strike fear into my heart.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Being the kind of person I am, always thinking of others first, if it was me who was ill (however bad it was) I would drag myself off the train and insist on waiting on the freezing cold platform until the ambulance came so as to not inconvenience my fellow passengers.

That's the spirit this country needs more of!!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Being the kind of person I am, always thinking of others first, if it was me who was ill (however bad it was) I would drag myself off the train and insist on waiting on the freezing cold platform until the ambulance came so as to not inconvenience my fellow passengers.

That's the spirit this country needs more of!!!

Even if you were unconcious? That's impressive.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair I can take the jumpers and the illnesses they have no control over it. Its all the other stuff that makes my blood boil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here