Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

train delays brighton to london

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It seems that severe delays are becoming more and more frequent. Fortunately I'm working in Worthing at the moment but from mid-Feb I'll be travelling to Horsham via Three Bridges so these delays will be affecting me

scooter1

How soon is now?
It fairly important that they know the signal layout to avoid crashes.

With all due respect to them, my 3 year old son knows that a red traffic light means stop, and the green one means go.....
I'm not trying to belittle a train drivers job, but is there more to it than stopping and going? And i'm not taking the piss here, i'm genuinely interested as to what the job involves..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
With all due respect to them, my 3 year old son knows that a red traffic light means stop, and the green one means go.....
I'm not trying to belittle a train drivers job, but is there more to it than stopping and going? And i'm not taking the piss here, i'm genuinely interested as to what the job involves..

Oh come on, be fair - they need to know how to use the intercom to say "can the guard contact the driver, please".

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do drivers actually drive trains other than making them stop and go? Its not like they can chuck a left at the lights to avoid roadworks...

They cant drive a train on a route they dont have full knowledge of and been passed competent on, there's a bit more to driving a train than just starting and stopping.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

They need to learn the location of signals, subsidery signals, points and junctions, level crossings, farm crossings, tunnels, viaducts, As well as learning all the gradients and also importantly breaking distances along with lots of other things. Like i said it's not just about starting and stopping trains.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They need to learn the location of signals, subsidery signals, points and junctions, level crossings, farm crossings, tunnels, viaducts, As well as learning all the gradients and also importantly breaking distances along with lots of other things. Like i said it's not just about starting and stopping trains.

Is this why Gatwick Express trains frequently have driver changes at Gatwick?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I waited for 40 minutes at BH this morning, gave up and went back home. Rang in to work who told me their Internet connection was down and asked if I could work from home. Sorted

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Do today's problems have anything to do with the frost overnight?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
2 and half hours Brighton -> Victoria this morning! 6.30 Gatwick Express out of Brighton got me to Victoria at 9:01 Still, on the bright side, at least it was going to work and not coming home.

Amazing difference in peoples stress levels depending on which way the delays are :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here