Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - All over the place

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Thought ill post on here in case people dont actually know.

The majority of Southern services may be delayed by up to 60 minutes due to Poor Rail Conditions - in other words its everyone's favorite Railway phrase - "Leaves on the Line". Trains are running at reduced speed because of it and its expected to last until at least 12PM.

South West Trains, Southeastern and FCC accepting Southern tickets - this will probably bugger people up travelling to Blackpool by train today.....like me.....

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
To be fair to the train companies, leaves falling off trees in October is an unusual event. It's not like it happens every year so they've got no reason to be prepared for it

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Did anyone watch that programme on ITV last night. f***ing train companies, they're all gash.

In this country, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £3,000
In Germany, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £1,500
In Italy, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £900

Time to re-nationalise. Wankers.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
To be fair to the train companies, leaves falling off trees in October is an unusual event. It's not like it happens every year so they've got no reason to be prepared for it

True, its never happened before. On a serious note, just asked someone in the industry about it and apparently all the leaves form a slippery lining on top of the rails, making it hard to brake/pull-away. Light rain makes it worse also so they said - which isnt good as thats what BN22 has right now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
and how will that will reduce the running costs?
The rest of the EU will help subsidise the service, like we do with theirs.

Or are you honestly content with the way things are?

Oh I get it, you're a Tory who doesn't actually use the trains to commute...

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Considering that I would bet 85% or the Southern network outside of London is tree lined I'm not sure what they can do about it?

You cant superglue all the leaves on, you cant stop them getting onto the track either. I know they have special trains running that clear the leaves but they cant do the entire network everyday and seeing as the Brighton-London line is almost at capacity in the mornings I dont know when they could run it anyway.

I'm not defending Southern (although I do think that they get stick for a lot of things that arent their fault) but I am genuinly interested at what they could do about it.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did anyone watch that programme on ITV last night. f***ing train companies, they're all gash.

In this country, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £3,000
In Germany, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £1,500
In Italy, a season ticket for a 25 mile journey into the capital costs about £900

Ah yes but what people fail to realise is that British train companies also have to pay the trans-capital amortisation costs caused by the reverse back out of the privatised state-run rail provider network franchise. This obviously leads to a skewed market glut forcing all costs to be increased at the back end by the waffle flange factor. You can't simply compare prices.

(Well it's always some excuse like that)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Exactly.

f***ing SLIPPERY RAILS you could NOT make it up.

Train companies have yet again RAISED THE WHITE FLAG c Herrtubthumper

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
i know they have special trains running that clear the leaves but they cant do the entire network everyday and seeing as the brighton-london line is almost at capacity in the mornings i dont know when they could run it anyway.

yes they can thats what i pay over £4000 a year for..................last train LV to Brighton 1am arr 2.30am. First train out of Brighton appx 5am. Thats a 2/3 hr window to GET THE RAILS CLEARED.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

firstly i commute and secondly, its pretty reasonable - except the price. so rather than the pettiness back to the point: how will nationalisation help? you say so it can be subsidised - why didnt you just say that instead, it needs more subsidy?

fair enough thats one solution, let everyone else pay to subsidise one tiny cohort of the population. i'd be better off for sure, even if many others arent. or, is there inefficenies that can reduce the costs in the first place, and are we comparing like with like. i understand the european networks are much smaller with fewer stations and benefited from a large rebuilding with modern tech in the late 1940's, while ours is still largely victorian. is there the same demand and number of passengers trying to get into Berlin and Rome from the surrounding 25miles as try to get into London?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Exactly.

f***ing SLIPPERY RAILS you could NOT make it up.

Train companies have yet again RAISED THE WHITE FLAG c Herrtubthumper

If you were driving your car on a frosty road, or one with a threat of black ice, wouldn't you reduce your speed?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
firstly i commute and secondly, its pretty reasonable - except the price. so rather than the pettiness back to the point: how will nationalisation help? you say so it can be subsidised. fair enough thats one solution, let everyone else pay to subsidise one tiny cohort of the population. i'd be better off for sure, even if many others arent. or, is there inefficenies that can reduce the costs in the first place, and are we comparing like with like. i understand the european networks are much smaller with fewer stations and benefited from a large rebuilding with modern tech in the late 1940's, while ours is still largely victorian.
This is all waffle.

Bottom line: unless you can create a competitive market, where is the benefit of privatisation over nationalisation in ANY industry? There are none. Why do I give a tuppenny toss about whether nationalising will reduce costs? That's just one aspect taken in isolation, and even if the privatised firms do have reduced costs, those benefits go straight into the pockets of shareholders.

Meanwhile, over a decade on from privatisation and we have to put up with the same shit service as it ever was. Worse actually. Take yesterday as an example. My southern train pulls into Redhill at 19:10, and the Great Western leaves from Redhill to Reigate at 19:13. Can you guess what happens nowadays that didn't used to happen, if the first train is running FOUR minutes late?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Train companies are blood sucking scum.

See they can't refer to leaves on the line now so it's 'railhead conditions'. Didn't we pay for them to cut all the trees back not so long ago? *****.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

I think even the yanks realise that you cant run a DECENT train service without subsidies, I'm with simster on this.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

As a Coast/London commuter - I have not heard the excuse "leaves on the line" for several years, and I had no problem getting to London this morning. I thought they had spent a lot of time and money cutting down much of the vegetation next to the lines - whether that works or not, i have no idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here