Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Advice - Manchester.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Hi guys.

I know I'll get slated for asking the question, but I need to book a return journey from Brighton to Manchester on the 29th December (tuesday).

For an adult ticket on National Rail I have been quoted £84, which I simply cannot afford. I have heard of booking in advance at the station, and committing to a certain train. I haven't done this before, so I was wondering what sort of price i would get for a return to Manchester if I went to the ticket office monday morning, committing to certain trains?

Cheers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looks like you can get the return for around £55 if you select a cheaper single each way.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I recently went to Leeds and it cost me less than £30 through this site -
Journey selection

and this site
Get out and about this Christmas

I got a ticket from Brighton to London for £2 using the southern trains site and ticket from London to Leeds for £12.50 using the east coast trains site and then the same for the way back, 3 days later. You have to choose specific train times though so its not very flexible. But it works out loads cheaper if they still have tickets left.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Buy two seperate tickets. Get the London to Manchester leg by using the best fare finder on VIrgin Trains, you should get a return in the region of £30 (£22 cheapest, £44 most) by buying advance tickets and commiting to a certain train. Buy them soon as prices go up.

Virgin Trains: Best Fare Finder - find cheap train tickets faster

I would look at the southern site and try and do similar for the Brighton - London leg with a zone 1 and 2 add on. If you travel off peak you should get a retun all in for about £50-65.

NEVER use The Trainline you will get a booking fee.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
As someone posted above, check out the fares on the National Rail Enquiries website, do it as two singles, be flexible as to times you can travel, commit to certain trains and if you are going to do a longish trip more than two or three times a year, buy a Railcard and you'll get a third off the fares. Also, once you've worked out the best itinery, print it out and go up the Train Booking Office and they will give you the tickets for the chosen selections...

I'm not too sure about getting separate Btn.-Victoria/Underground/Virgin Train tickets. I've always done a through ticket including Underground transfers and looking at the figures quoted, there doesn't seem to be much in it...

Doing the above, I got travel from Brighton to and back from Stockport for 2nd. Jan. for £38

Good Luck!

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Cheers you lot, looks like my pocket of cash wont be too depleted. Such a rip off on National rail, £84. Bastards.

:thumbsup:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I live in Manc and there is a direct train from Brighton which imo is fantastic, cant remember the day it goes, could in fact be a tuesday. Good thing is you can get in sit down and do fook all until you arrive.

Cheapest you will get is around £60 and up depending when you buy it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here